More Scrappage, GRRRR

pompei

We've had 2 likely victims hovering around the forecourt this week.S plate Proton Persona, and today, a well fucked P plate Clio, with medium frontal damage! Bonnet, wings, screen, bumper, wings squoze against the doors etc etc etc. 2K worth if ever I saw it. This Clio is exactly what the scheme should be for.

Intresting point to make here, I got Top Gear Magazine today and they have a top 20 each month, and in 20th (so worst) this month was the scrappage scheme, and it says that according to a recent study, the £2000 gained from an old car is lost in 88 days due to depreciation :shock: Pointless then isnt it, some older cars go up and up in value, new ones just go down.

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-PEUGEOT-405- ... 0433280827

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY A BRAND NEW CAR, COULD BE TRADED IN TO GET £2,000 OFF UNDER GOVERNMENT SCRAPPAGE SCHEME

:roll:
Quite. Sadly some muppet will fall for that line and be stuck with it.
Sadly?

Looks like a nice car!

Sadly cos they are not looking for some new shite, just something to chop in for the scrappage deal, so it could be bought in that mistaken belief, and still end up getting scrapped.....

They've just passed a scrappage scheme in the USA. However, it has a provision that eligible vehicles must be newer than 1984.That is precisley what the FVBHC (or whatever they are called) shoud have tried to get added to the one here. Even if it had just protected pre1973 or 1979 vehicles, it probably would have been added no problem.

Other buyers have taken the decision to wave goodbye to cars which have been in the family for a generation, but their sadness soon disappears when they get into their new Hyundai.

But the sadness will reappear when the monthly payment goes out of the account again :roll:

Talking to a few chaps here today it turns out the Czech government is up to a similar stunt, although they don't give you money to scrap your car. They've put the registration fees up on anything over 10 years old, so if you want to buy an older car you have to pay around 300 quid extra to register it. This is going to go back to normal in January but it's causing a lot of older stuff to get scrapped as it's difficult to sell something that's going to cost a fortune just to get on the road. If you already own something there's no change. Export registration (just a bit of paper that you shove in the windows) is almost free, just a nightmare to obtain.

They've put the registration fees up on anything over 10 years old, so if you want to buy an older car you have to pay around 300 quid extra to register it. This is going to go back to normal in January but it's causing a lot of older stuff to get scrapped as it's difficult to sell something that's going to cost a fortune just to get on the road. If you already own something there's no change. Export registration (just a bit of paper that you shove in the windows) is almost free, just a nightmare to obtain.

That's always been one of my biggest fears here. If the official description of "classic" was cut off at 1980 as proposed recently and some legislation like that were passed, I think it would do much more damage than scrappage to the supply of future cherished cars.

Fortunately (?) I dont pass that many dealerships while I'm out and about, but I've yet to see any of this scrappage on a stand bullshit.It's kind of ironic that the only people who seem to support the scheme to help out these manufacturers/dealerships/'car' companies are those who dont actually care about cars.

Please don`t get me started on the incidental music from that program, I only wish there was some way to obtain a CD of it all, seriously.You have done well with your av by the way, I love the fact that the guy who was inside the Wordy suit probably had to go down the shops and buy a pair of women`s black tights and cut them in half at the crotch for each episode.

Cheers mate..Hadnt thought about looking on Youtube for it - however
Unfortunately it doesnt have 'the' particular music piece I was after..

Oh it can`t be long before there`s a DVD release, surely there is enough interest?I saw a brand new unregistered Civic all stickered up with scrappage stuff at a dealers the other day, I was surprised someone had scrapped that just get 2 grand off another new Civic, I don`t know some people have got more money than sense..

I'm just sat having my dinner and reading Car Dealer magazine. Apparently the manufacturers to benefit most from the scrappage scheme are Hyundai, Chevrolet and Kia. Not all the dealers like it though, one is quoted as saying

"I have lost two profit earning opportunities due to this scheme. One was a Saab Convertible - leather, superb condition, the lot. Customer decided to go for the scrappage scheme instead. Surely its got to be criminal to scrap such a vehicle? And the other was an old Polo - one owner from new and 21k on the clock. My phone wouldn't have stopped ringing for that one. Roll on the governent running out of cash, I say

.Elsewhere and demonstrating quite how cynical the new car retail business is, is an article on selling newer, more economical cars to customers containing the great line

If you can show buyers they can save £30 per month in fuel bills then they can spend that money on the finance instead

Oh well thats alright then :evil:

I'm just sat having my dinner and reading Car Dealer magazine. Apparently the manufacturers to benefit most from the scrappage scheme are Hyundai, Chevrolet and Kia. Not all the dealers like it though, one is quoted as saying

"I have lost two profit earning opportunities due to this scheme. One was a Saab Convertible - leather, superb condition, the lot. Customer decided to go for the scrappage scheme instead. Surely its got to be criminal to scrap such a vehicle? And the other was an old Polo - one owner from new and 21k on the clock. My phone wouldn't have stopped ringing for that one. Roll on the government running out of cash, I say

Did he mean he allowed it to go as a wastage victim or they walked away from his offer to buy/part ex it and went to a dealership? If it was the former, why not just offer a fookin discount and sell the car? scrappage isn't obligatory, and I am sure the dumb buyer doesn't care about the ultimate fate of the victim car, or they wouldn't be there in the first place :roll:

Did he mean he allowed it to go as a wastage victim or they walked away from his offer to buy/part ex it and went to a dealership?

Not sure tbh. I quoted it in full and it doesn't really make it clear. Probably wanted to sell a new car and was upset at not getting the p/x for peanuts and being able to resell it at a hefty profit. Wanting his cake and eating it or something along those lines...

Probably wanted to sell a new car and was upset at not getting the p/x for peanuts and being able to resell it at a hefty profit. Wanting his cake and eating it or something along those lines...

Yeah, considering they moaned at the govt for ages for this they can go f**k themselves. if he really wanted it he could have offered a bigger discount as Fred says.Still what do we expect from car salesman, partcularly those at the Daewoo / Kia end of the market?

To be honest I think that car salesman sounds alright - just because they represent good stock doesn't mean they are worth a fortune, for a start they'll have been over 10 years old. I imagine a low mileage Polo would be a really nice bit of stock, but if they were planning on tidying it up, putting a fresh ticket on it and selling it for say £895 they couldn't exactly fight the scrap scheme for it.Doesn't exactly sound like he likes the scheme - I imagine not all new car dealers do, but if everyone else is offering it, what choice do you have?

I don't think the salesman is out of order at all. He's not complaining about losing the Scrappage bonus, more that there's an idiot out there who wants to scrap a tidy sounding old Saab. If he wanted the bonus, he would have taken the Saab and sent it to automotive Valhalla.Of course, there will always be people to whom car salesmen are the spawn of satan. I've worked as a car salesman, and I worked with a whole bunch of Gordon Gecko type wankers, but there are a few decent ones out there who own old cars and who think anyone who trades in something decent leading to it's destruction needs a hiding.I was talking to a salesman out here today who's got a '72 Midget and a '68 S-type. He's furious with the Czech government about the registration tax on older cars at the moment - and he doesn't deal in things that are affected by it.On a happier note, I spent yesterday rebuilding the axles on the Tatra 805. Loads of proper clever engineering on that, and it's only a tenner a year to insure :-) Veteran status means it doesn't get stung by the registration bullshit. Should be on the road in the next few months. Gonna fix the brakes and fire it up tomorrow. It's in incredibly good mechanical condition, but it would be, it's only done 6800 Km in 55 years.

it's only done 6800 Km in 55 years.

It's been flat out for 55 years and only gone that far? I knew they were slow but.... 8) Are all the bearings in good shape? I destroyed a few hub pullers changing the rear bearings on my 603 because the morse tapers were are reeeeally tight fit. But those finned drum brakes look fantastic, Panhard made a feature of finned drums on the 24CT I think?

In my local Fiat dealer at the weekend -replacing SWMBO's plates -she got nicked for'misspacing'.As if....Anyway -Service Manager told me they had scrapped a Daimler 250 a few days previous. When pressed, he admitted scabby- but with a fairly new ticket..Dear God.....

Other buyers have taken the decision to wave goodbye to cars which have been in the family for a generation, but their sadness soon disappears when they get into their new Hyundai.

But the sadness will reappear when the monthly payment goes out of the account again :roll:
The sadness will reppear when they shut the door, enclosing them with acres of lifeless grey plastic and half-hearted design. They'll then start to cry when they realise everything has been built to a budget, which was approximately 27p.

Posted Image

1986 RENAULT 25 GTS AUTO WHITE & SCRAPPAGE OPPORTUNITY

Chance to use Scrappage Scheme without eligible car

Starting bid: £700.00

Arse. :roll:

Hahahaa, Yeah, Give me 700 quid for my old Renault, plus whatever your new car costs, and let me go and buy it, have it registered to me and with a receipt of sale in my name, and then go cry when i tell you to sod off, it's my new car now!!!

However, subject to agreement on terms, the seller is willing to co-operate so as to enable the buyer to have the benefit of the Government Scrappage Scheme in the purchase of a new car, although under the scheme the seller would have to be the first registered owner. Hopefully the buyer could collect the new car with delivery mileage from the chosen dealership.

Yeah right. You not only buy my shed, you get to buy me a brand new car too, but you do get two grand off :roll: