Pug 305 and hangers on

jon.k

A quick question for the 305 and xud lovers out there. Just picked my 305 up (pics later) after it’s had a replacement engine. Runs great but can anyone tell me where the temp gauge should be under normal driving? It’s hovering below the quarter mark but there are no temp markings as such, and it is bouncing around a bit.

I will check it’s got enough coolant on my break and I have a new rad coming in the post from Cyprus (!), but I thought I’d check what was normal.

The heater seemed pretty warm but when I change the radiator I will change the temp sensor too. Last time I did that I managed to snap a bolt on the thermostat housing!

It’s good to know it shouldn’t move around, thanks for that. It seems to hunt around between two of the eighth markings. In that case I will use it sparingly until I have the new radiator and sensor in. Thank you.

Thanks Puddle jumper, mine has been sitting between the second and third divisions, so it goes one above the one in the photo then I think the fan kicks in and it goes down as into the photo. Perhaps that’s that’s ok? I’d never studied the temperature gauge so closely until my last engine got cooked!

I got all the hoses I need, and Ian kirkwood in the pug club bought the remaining spares from around Europe if you need any. I’m excited about the NOS radiator too. Then we can organise the 305 meet at DSparesand tyres’ hideout.

post-24329-0-31166200-1518814983_thumb.jpeg

post-24329-0-59759900-1518815040_thumb.jpeg

How did you get on with changing the reg mark on the 306? I was going to suggest that approaching your nearest coach operator often results in a willing buyer, many love the dateless NI plates so as to disguise the age of their older motors.

Well I took it for two pretty heavy tip runs today and it didn’t go above the second white line so I’d agree that itlooks good. I think the problem is that I bought the van off an old boy mechanic who drove it for a mile a day to his garage, and he told me that the temperature gauge never moved because it has a big radiator. I think it maybe didn’t move because it was not working, hence the cooked engine on the first long journey. So I was surprised to see the gauge move at all with the new engine.

After the old engine siezed I couldn’t work out what had happened to the water because there was no steam, no high temp on the gauge or anything. We found out wjere the water had gone when the mechanic started up the new engine and sprayed a massive trail of dirty coolant out of the exhaust and up the wall of his garage. Minging.

So pleased to be back on the road, it’s such a nice car to drive.

My 305 van was the nicest work vehicle I've had.I moved my brother to Germany in it.When we finished loading it the rear left tyre was rubbing on the inner wheel arch because of bearing wear in the suspension arm.So we stopped and made sure all the heavy stuff was put on the other side.A totally trouble free trip after that.And a week's holiday in Germany on top with no trouble.Lovely smooth and relaxing vehicle.

I remember that Talbot Samba jigsaw! Had one as a kid, inevitably as a feckless 11 year old I lost a couple of vital pieces and it got dumped in a pre house move ‘clean-up’.

Glad to know there is at least one complete one out there :).

That's made my day! Do you know where on earth they came from? The Talbot dealer? I couldn't believe it when I spotted it in Oxfam, and the woman on the till couldn't believe I was buying it!

Just wondered if any Peugeot lovers here were going to the Peugeot club meet at Gaydon on 22nd April. I’ve not been to one before but it’s nearby and I thought I’d see what’s going on and look around the museum. The guys In the club have been great with finding parts and hopefully no one will object to my car looking like a bit of a heap.

Puddle jumper? I know there are others on here too.

Temperature is spot on. Yea, have to get together sometime.

It's a shame FOAD is so far away, then we could have the red,white and the blue. I'd deffo have a pic of that.

Three 305 vans together is not likely to happen very often if at all.

38901575442_2b95af8b7f_c.jpgDSC_0713 by srblythe, on Flickr

38901576022_6a182d1d07_c.jpgDSC_0711 by srblythe, on Flickr

I'm not sure which would be a rarer sight, 3 vans or a van, saloon and estate.

Maybe if you come along to shitefest we can get a photo of them all together.

You are dead right with one of each style. The chance of that happening, other than with yours, is nil, me thinks.

I was thinking of the red, white, and if Jon.K. comes with his blue one, it would be the French flag colours, 

which being a bit of a saddo, I think might be a reasonable pic. 

I would buy one cos I am, as already mentioned, a saddo.

That's made my day! Do you know where on earth they came from? The Talbot dealer? I couldn't believe it when I spotted it in Oxfam, and the woman on the till couldn't believe I was buying it!

I reckon so, my mum got a new 305 estate in 1983 and we visited a few dealers at the time. a great car and the first car I actually drove myself. I have this recurrent dream I find it in a barn as it was around 1996 and restore it to its former glory! A770 VWP R.I.P. you were a great little car :).

You mention you are from Worcestershire, this car was purchased from Clerkenleap Motors, which was on the west side of Worcester somewhere, the dealership was still there in 1987/8 as I also remember going to the dealer launch of the 405 at the same location. Early in the 1990s it moved closer to the city, the name ‘St Peters’ rings a bell but whether that was the dealership‘s new name or the district it moved to I’m not sure.

• 3 weeks later...

St. Peter’s Peugeot is still going I think!

In the end I sent my 306 number back to the dvla and got a new v5, which I then got printed in dealer replica plates so I’m quite happy with that for a hassle free solution to the weird Irish numberplate.

It’s been an annoying week with the 305 because I have now bought two replacement radiators on eBay only for them to arrive badly packaged and with a piece broken. The second time it happened I knew it as soon as I felt the box and heard a rattle.

So frustrating as new 305 radiators are hard to find, so if the worst comes to the worst I might try gluing the part pictured below. I do want to be able to trust the car though as I use it every day. What do people think?

The picture is actually from the first rad, but I now have a second with the same issue.

D spares I might need that secondhand one after all!

St. Peter’s Peugeot is still going I think!

In the end I sent my 306 number back to the dvla and got a new v5, which I then got printed in dealer replica plates so I’m quite happy with that for a hassle free solution to the weird Irish numberplate.

It’s been an annoying week with the 305 because I have now bought two replacement radiators on eBay only for them to arrive badly packaged and with a piece broken. The second time it happened I knew it as soon as I felt the box and heard a rattle.

So frustrating as new 305 radiators are hard to find, so if the worst comes to the worst I might try gluing the part pictured below. I do want to be able to trust the car though as I use it every day. What do people think?

The picture is actually from the first rad, but I now have a second with the same issue.

D spares I might need that secondhand one after all!

post-24329-0-36607800-1521059424_thumb.jpeg

So frustrating as new 305 radiators are hard to find, so if the worst comes to the worst I might try gluing the part pictured below.

What's that pipe do? is it just for air return?

Glue won't work well on that plastic IMO, I would personally drill the hole out, tap it and put a plug or a suitable hose barb in with loctite thread sealer stuff.

What's that pipe do? is it just for air return?Glue won't work well on that plastic IMO, I would personally drill the hole out, tap it and put a plug or a suitable hose barb in with loctite thread sealer stuff.

That sounds like a good plan if I can persuade someone with some practical skill to attempt it for me. Thanks for that. I think it is the air return.... picture below. I’m really getting the hang of this camera phone now!

• 4 months later...