Wobstang II

Joloke

Guest Hooli

i had wondered if i could just replace it with a fuse and a legth of wire? Only thing is they are don in wire gauge so need to figure out what amp fuse would be needed?

Probably. If you can find out the rating as you say.

Jo, I'm just catching up on here after yesterday.

Electrical problem at the starter relay - can you post some more pics of what it looks like on the ShiteStang at the moment and any 'damage'.

Also, a step by step description of how you tried to start it. Where did you connect jump pack, how long for, did it start to smoke immediately, etc.

Don't slice anything.

Some one who knows what they are about can stick a needle in if that's whats needed.

Try answering JEE's step by step of what you actually did. Any burnt wires you can see?

It may be that with jump leads correctly connected it will go, but you need some one competent to be sure.

Not that I'm saying you aren't  :-D

Are all the wires/solenoids terminals clean and tight? It might have been damp or corrosion or a loose terminal (or combination of those things!), possibly made worse from its time spent at sea. Once you’ve energised the system with load on the circuit maybe it was that burning off or high resistance somewhere?

When it first did it, did the starter try to turn?

Obviously smoke and burning comes from heat, so basically lots of amps. That’d only come from the starter motor pulling load as it operated or a loose poor connection somewhere.

Bit wary of charging the battery we live in a teeny weeny flat its either charge in in the main room with us or not as all,near the door out onto the street we dont have a garage.

Still not sure do i need to pop the caps when charging these older style batteries?

I fear it going Kaboom with gasses as the posts are right next to the capped cells that will be gassing :(

Advice needed?????????????????????????

If it’s an old battery, loosen the little plugs to vent the gas while on charge. Do it outside or near an open door or window.

Great progress Jo.

It’s funny seeing these cars when they’re fresh off the boat, you can find some interesting things in them.

In mine I’ve found a huge cash of nuts and shells in the battery tray from a septic squirrel. Loads of weird hornet nests complete with dried out hornet corpses. Easy start and loads of Rockauto fridge magnets under the seat.

I’ve heard of a revolver being found under the seat of an imported yank too! Keep digging!

The battery leads you can buy new complete leads for most old yanks on Rockauto too. Mine were all hard and falling apart so I just bought new ones.

Yes if need be Sam said she would buy me one,I had wondered if it had just gone flat because of being in a container in the cold for 2 months? My Merc battery once went dont to 10v because of the failed Alternator,once replaced that battery lived and still does ;)

I would just fit a new battery as the chances of it having a good battery on it by the time it got on the boat are slim. Lets face it we would all put a crap battery on a car we were selling for export. Also how did it go flat ? Probably due to the short so it was very lucky it didn't catch fire when that happened. When you connect the new battery there may be a small spark as you connect the earth lead which is normal with a modern anything more than that and the dead short is still there. You could put an ohm meter between the positive battery lead and earth just to make sure there isn't a dead short before connecting the battery.

I was just thinking that in the short term I would definitely replace the fusable link with either a normal battery cable or something with a maxi fuse in it.

Someone here must know enough electro-maths to work out what a 14gauge link translates to in amps?

Lifted directly from t'net. General 12V car, truck, etc. Not marque-specific.

"Wire size current table:

18 gauge wire = 5-8 amps

16 gauge wire = 10-12 amps

14 gauge wire = 15-17 amps

12 gauge wire = 20-25 amps

10 gauge wire = 30-40 amps

8 gauge wire = 50-60 amps.

Fusible link colors

20 Gauge Blue

18 Gauge Brown or Red

16 Gauge Black or Orange

14 Gauge Green

12 Gauge Gray"

The info has no reference date so it's likely to be more recent than 1975. But we know a replacement fuselink rated for 14 gauge is needed regardless of colour code.

Put a multimeter across it anyway to see if it's blown, it might still be usable short-term.

As you've already mentioned, it would be really useful to have a word with a tame local auto-electrician to get things moving.