Wobstang II

Joloke

Its got a Manual Steering Rack!

Just don't try to dry steer. As long as you're moving, it'll be fine. Actually, once on the move at anything more than about 20mph, it will probably feel lighter than a PAS car, and if you're not used to it, can be a little disconcerting. I've heard of people fitting steering dampers to unassisted steering cars because the steering at speed is just too light.

Many years ago I had a MK3 Cav that shat it's PAS pump. Rather than bother with repairing it, I shoved an unassisted rack in there that I just happened to have. Much nicer to drive, and I'm sure I very slightly improved my fuel economy too.

American cars PAS is incredibly light! If anything it’s over power assisted!

On mine I can be parked and still turn the steering lock to lock with one finger. That’s on a ginormous car that’s pretty heavy.

It can be somewhat devoid of feeling and response when driving sometimes.

I’d imagine Jo’s ‘Stang would feel similar to a Capri with no PAS being similar size cars. Perfectly fine when on the move but it can be a bit heavy if your going slow trying to park or similar.

The worst I’ve had though is my Transit! No PAS, steering box, in a big old van. At low speeds it can take some effort to make it turn!

The worst I’ve had though is my Transit! No PAS, steering box, in a big old van. At low speeds it can take some effort to make it turn!

Similar with a Series IIB forward control Land-Rover, fitted with a Perkins boat anchor engine and Bar-grip tyres. if you were parked on grippy tarmac it was physically impossible to move the contact patch with the road. You could put about 1 turn of lock on, which just bent the sidewalls and loaded up all the steering joints/relay/box. At that point you either move forwards and actually turn, or let go of the steering wheel and lose several digits. That wasn't a vehicle, it was a multi-gym.

Similar with a Series IIB forward control Land-Rover, fitted with a Perkins boat anchor engine and Bar-grip tyres. if you were parked on grippy tarmac it was physically impossible to move the contact patch with the road. You could put about 1 turn of lock on, which just bent the sidewalls and loaded up all the steering joints/relay/box. At that point you either move forwards and actually turn, or let go of the steering wheel and lose several digits. That wasn't a vehicle, it was a multi-gym.

That’s exactly what my Transit does! You turn the wheel a bit then let go of it and the elasticity in the tyres just throws the steering wheel back around. Keep hands well clear!

Amazing to think people would have had to drive stuff like that as daily use back in their day as delivery vans etc.

The Americans seemed to do the exact opposite and over do the PAS.

On the PAS front Sam said the same see how you get on with it? This time 9 years ago my daily was a Rover Mini handling was great it was like parking a bus though!

I always had non assisted racks then all of a sudden practically every car had PAS.

I will see how I get on with it,after all it is a base!

I doubt you’ll have any issues. PAS is nice but try it and see.

It won’t be hard to add it to the car later if you do want it.

That’s exactly what my Transit does! You turn the wheel a bit then let go of it and the elasticity in the tyres just throws the steering wheel back around. Keep hands well clear!

Amazing to think people would have had to drive stuff like that as daily use back in their day as delivery vans etc.

The Americans seemed to do the exact opposite and over do the PAS.

I'm using my mk2 daily, if you are moving just a tiny bit the steering is easy, even moving a fraction of an inch will do it. When shunting into a space I tend to rock it slightly forwards/ back using the clutch and camber of the road to wind lock on quickly.

I'm using my mk2 daily, if you are moving just a tiny bit the steering is easy, even moving a fraction of an inch will do it. When shunting into a space I tend to rock it slightly forwards/ back using the clutch and camber of the road to wind lock on quickly.

Worst bit for me is getting mine on/off the driveway.

It gets parked in an awkward place as I don’t use it much, so I reverse in between the gateposts then have to reverse in an S bend to put it away. You can’t do it in one hit so involves a fair bit of forward and backward shunting!

It’s great once on the move though. In fact once going it’s probably got much better steering feel and response than the Mercury has!

Every time I see an update I fly in here expectationing deliverage :(

not wishing to be rude but I am not sure I can maintain "the wood" much longer :D

Can you call them and tell them to get a jolly shifty on?

Probably find that they are stopping at every roadside stop and turn up with the full on lard stalactite on the right elbow from "brands hatch" roadside burgers. 

maybe a bit of ketchup in the corner of the lip