Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The further adventures of a Shitestang........................

• Please log in to reply
1539 replies to this topic

#1531 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:14 PM

No Photos but went to our local meet today and Shitey was very naughty indeed :mad:

First before we even left he flooded his engine :shock:

Then after trying numerous times to start him we got him going :mrgreen:

Then he consumed much more fuel than he should of done and ran like a bag of ****!!!

Jury is out on Shitey right now as he is consuming wayy too much Jungle Juice ( I know hes not economical but hes even worse than he should be :cry:)

He keeps dumping coaldust on the floor :mad:

I do wonder if I should just try another carb?

I just want him to run right....................................

• johngarty likes this

Just remember I told you so! ;-)

#1532 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,411 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

No Photos but went to our local meet today and Shitey was very naughty indeed :mad:
First before we even left he flooded his engine :shock:
Then after trying numerous times to start him we got him going :mrgreen:
Then he consumed much more fuel than he should of done and ran like a bag of ****!!!
Jury is out on Shitey right now as he is consuming wayy too much Jungle Juice ( I know hes not economical but hes even worse than he should be :cry:)
He keeps dumping coaldust on the floor :mad:
I do wonder if I should just try another carb?
I just want him to run right....................................

Sounds familiar Jo! Mine kept doing exactly the same earlier this year and it did it just after it’s last MOT too.
First time was gunk plugging up the carb, cleaned out and solved for a bit. The second time it was incurable! Stripped the carb down and it turned out to be a worn needle valve/seat. Changed that and all gaskets etc etc and it’s run absolutely perfectly ever since.
  • richardthestag, eddyramrod and Joloke like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#1533 ONLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,503 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:36 PM

Left the sunny, dusty dry climes of the West coast to land in the cold, damp winter of the UK- expect the running behavior to change as things dry out or gather moisture or are disturbed for the first time in forever as you do some actual maintenance on the car.

Phil
  • Nibblet and Joloke like this
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#1534 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:43 PM

Sounds familiar Jo! Mine kept doing exactly the same earlier this year and it did it just after it’s last MOT too.
First time was gunk plugging up the carb, cleaned out and solved for a bit. The second time it was incurable! Stripped the carb down and it turned out to be a worn needle valve/seat. Changed that and all gaskets etc etc and it’s run absolutely perfectly ever since.

Just getting me down right now its obviously carbon but where it all coming from? Ill take a photo in the morning.

Going to pull the plugs tomorrow and clean them,ill get some new plugs but for now ill clean them up and see if it helps it running lumpy?

#1535 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

Also found out where gasses are really getting in

The gator at the bottom of the steering column is shot and of course they are unobtainable :-(

Though I do wonder if an earlier 73 would fit? Cant see the column being that different?

#1536 OFFLINE   eddyramrod

eddyramrod

The Crimson Avenger

• Full Members
  • 13,232 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationIn These Shoes?

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:40 PM

73 was a whole different car, Jo.  If there is a different type listed for the II, try that, you've nothing to lose.  Otherwise I think you need to take the whole car round to various garages until some old bloke in a brown workshop coat says "oh yes, a Capri one will fit that!" or something similar.  Good luck :)

• Joloke likes this

GLWTS everyone!

Fashion Victim: 2018 Suzuki SX (new wheelchair bus)

Huggy Bear: 1973 Cadillac Coupe de Ville - FOR SALE

Tripod: 2014 three-wheeled walker.  Temporary I hope!

Mr ramrod is the nicest person in the world  (Chompy_snake, 2015)

Eddy is the finest fellow you will ever meet,  FACT (Djimbob, 2017)

#1537 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,411 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:49 PM

Just getting me down right now its obviously carbon but where it all coming from? Ill take a photo in the morning.
Going to pull the plugs tomorrow and clean them,ill get some new plugs but for now ill clean them up and see if it helps it running lumpy?

Mine didn’t always do it during the period it was playing up, sometimes it would be ok then the next time it was used it be a right swine! It just depends if the needle and seat aren’t operating as they should that particular time.
Basically, on mine there was wear on the needle end (like a visible ring worn around the end of the needle, you could feel it if you ran your fingernail over it) when this happens the needle isn’t seating properly to stop fuel flowing into the float chambers so they overfill, then the car is forced to run way over rich because there’s nowhere else for all the excess fuel to go.
Mine kept pumping out plumes of black smoke and leaving black ‘skid marks’ on the ground under the exhaust. It’d also be an absolute twat to start - usually only being able to reluctantly fire with loads of cranking and foot flat to floor on the throttle, it’d frequently die and splutter too when running making driving it a nightmare.

Changing the plugs won’t help as it’ll just continue flooding and wetting the new plugs and fouling them up. You need to sort the flooding issue first then I’d change the plugs anyway.

Does your car have a fuel filter?
If not I’d fit one. I’m 99% sure my problem was caused by the cars long term lay up in the states. The fuel tank rusted inside and was full of sandy rusty gritty crap. Once I got the car and started using it again the usage must have stirred up all this sediment in the tank and it started getting sucked up into the carb.
First sign was the new fuel filter clogging solid within a few hundred miles, then the pump died as it filled up with crud.
To cure that I bought a brand new tank, pump and cleaned/replaced all the fuel lines and filter. The damage was done though as the problem returned some months later, opened the carb to find the float bowls had a brown gunge inside them. Cleaned out and ok again for a while...
Then it began to flood badly. That’s when I bought a full carb recon kit, new floats, valves, jets etc etc and pulled it apart for full rebuild.
Since then it’s been faultless!

Edit; one thing I did try to temporarily get it going was to gently tap the carb body with a hammer or screwdriver. This must have shocked the needle free again letting it close fully. It did work sometimes but not others and was only a temporary fix as it’d frequently just do it again shortly afterwards!
  • eddyramrod likes this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#1538 OFFLINE   Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 20 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationAn Southerly Shire

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:57 AM

No Photos but went to our local meet today.....

Hi Jo - what local meet did you go to? I seem to remember you're in Swindon - me too.

#1539 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

Hi Jo - what local meet did you go to? I seem to remember you're in Swindon - me too.

It was MOCGB Meet over in Berkshire but I do go the Swindon Rod and Custom too ;)

#1540 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,785 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

Mine didn’t always do it during the period it was playing up, sometimes it would be ok then the next time it was used it be a right swine! It just depends if the needle and seat aren’t operating as they should that particular time.
Basically, on mine there was wear on the needle end (like a visible ring worn around the end of the needle, you could feel it if you ran your fingernail over it) when this happens the needle isn’t seating properly to stop fuel flowing into the float chambers so they overfill, then the car is forced to run way over rich because there’s nowhere else for all the excess fuel to go.
Mine kept pumping out plumes of black smoke and leaving black ‘skid marks’ on the ground under the exhaust. It’d also be an absolute twat to start - usually only being able to reluctantly fire with loads of cranking and foot flat to floor on the throttle, it’d frequently die and splutter too when running making driving it a nightmare.

Changing the plugs won’t help as it’ll just continue flooding and wetting the new plugs and fouling them up. You need to sort the flooding issue first then I’d change the plugs anyway.

Does your car have a fuel filter?
If not I’d fit one. I’m 99% sure my problem was caused by the cars long term lay up in the states. The fuel tank rusted inside and was full of sandy rusty gritty crap. Once I got the car and started using it again the usage must have stirred up all this sediment in the tank and it started getting sucked up into the carb.
First sign was the new fuel filter clogging solid within a few hundred miles, then the pump died as it filled up with crud.
To cure that I bought a brand new tank, pump and cleaned/replaced all the fuel lines and filter. The damage was done though as the problem returned some months later, opened the carb to find the float bowls had a brown gunge inside them. Cleaned out and ok again for a while...
Then it began to flood badly. That’s when I bought a full carb recon kit, new floats, valves, jets etc etc and pulled it apart for full rebuild.
Since then it’s been faultless!

Edit; one thing I did try to temporarily get it going was to gently tap the carb body with a hammer or screwdriver. This must have shocked the needle free again letting it close fully. It did work sometimes but not others and was only a temporary fix as it’d frequently just do it again shortly afterwards!

Ill look into that then,Wont be my tank as that brand new though i guess my lines might be crapped up?

Ive put my back out so cant do much now but did see if I could get the plugs out?

Most wont budge so need a soaking im guessing but got two out so photographed them ;-)

Number 1

45891333402_275ec1f510_z_d.jpg

Was a sod to get out but managed

Number 5

came out easy

45028493425_f25a22b658_z_d.jpg

Its supposed to have a fuel filter but not checked,its listed as a metal type so hazarding a guess its near the tank?

Have wondered if I should find and replace plus fit another see through jobby near the carb?

Ill order some new plugs but will probably clean these ones up for now until they arrive.

Im guessing my exhaust is full of carbon too?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users