Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The further adventures of a Shitestang........................

• Please log in to reply
1579 replies to this topic

#1261 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:47 AM

My dad has a screwdriver just like that too, no idea where it came from.

As for the brakes, it won't have been the dead servo warping the discs. Without the servo you can't brake as hard (as you know) so you won't get as much heat into the discs to warp them. Most warped discs I've seen (admittedly not many) have been down to dodgy calipers so one side of the disc did more work & they heated unevenly.

Im sending off for new Calipers so hopefully I can nip this in the butt ;)

I am also suffering from starting issues once the car has warmed up :(

Jim suggested he thinks its fuel vapourisation vapour lock I do no wonder if my return pipe is failing as the car always stinks of fuel :(

Think its time to take it off the road and get the house in order.................................

Just remember I told you so! ;-)

#1262 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,170 posts
  • 175 thanks
  • LocationThe next petrol station

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

I wonder if there are heatshields around the carb/fuel lines that have died with age? I don't know these cars but I'd imagine such things would be fitted.

Is it a leccy fuel pump? if so have you tried waiting 30secs with the ignition on before trying to start it, that'd give time for fuel to refill the carb after it'd evaporated away.

• Joloke likes this
Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#1263 ONLINE   Nibblet

Nibblet

• Full Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationGlouchestershite

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

Mechanical fuel pump- no heat shields as it's been modded. Bit of fuel vaporisation going on, best thing is to lift the hood and turn it over a couple of times without any gas pedal, get a bit of cooler air through the carb. My chainsaw was at it today, driving me nuts!
  • Joloke likes this
1972 Saab 96 (pond algae green)
1988 Benz 230E, FDR Stuttgart comfy taxi
1993 Saab 9000 CSE turbot swooooshhh.
2012 Volkswagen T5 2.0tdi LWB (Not Dubber)

#1264 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,170 posts
  • 175 thanks

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:27 PM

Time to add a heatshield? Not sure it'd do much good in the middle of a Vee though.

• Joloke likes this
Opinions expressed are those of this cunt, not any other cunt. They do not represent the views of those responsible for this forum.
Like any true Englishman I'm never unintentionally rude. If you're offended by this post, good as that is what was intended.

#1265 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 6,654 posts
  • 101 thanks

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:49 PM

An electric fuel pump would be the way forwards, a low pressure one off something modern should do the trick for very little expenditure.
  • Joloke likes this

#1266 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:51 AM

Yes its mechanical,theres a starting proceedure in the owners handbook if you just try to start it you will be there forever! It says from cold turn the key to start postion,push the gas pedal to the floor then release it they turn the key to run.

Always starts first time then!

I never had this issue until this insanly hot weather,will it calm down when it gets a little less hot?

Bit worried my fuel lines might be failing I read somewhere in conjection with fuel vapourisation that is the return line is failing car will stink of gas and you will have lousy consumption...................

Ok its a V8 and you dont expect it to be good but it should be getting around 15 urban 20 odd on a run and its more like 10 and 15 somethig isnt quite right?

#1267 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 09 July 2018 - 06:54 AM

My chainsaw was at it today, driving me nuts!

Have you been at the Japanese Bush?

#1268 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:33 AM

While we are talking about pressure could the fact my fuel cap wont seal properly be causing issues too?

Its a really annoying design there two cut outs on the filler neck where you line up pegs on the cap then two spring loaded almost like minature door latches pop out.

To be honest they are so pant you can put it on without its key and for that matter probably take it off without the key too!

I much prefer the locking caps I remember where when you turned the key a whole cam would turn and draw the cap in and lock it into place this design seems feeble but the only one you can get for these cars :-(

Thinking of getting a non lockable one just as a test to see if it seals better because for those you appear to turn the whole cap to lock it which is a much better design :mrgreen:

My filler neck looks like this

ffp1_1.8.jpg

And my cap like this

17559__ra_p.jpg

I am thinking of getting a stock no lockable like this

MGC-733__ra_p.jpg

#1269 ONLINE   Nibblet

Nibblet

• Full Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:47 AM

Nope, and it ain't Japanese thankfully!
  • Joloke likes this

#1270 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

Havnt done much for the last few days but the next tasks are get the instrument illumination working and the wipers working.

I fear the wipers will be a much bigger job after the dash is removed but hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have Dash Lights :)

When I got the car only one dash light illuminated that was the seatbelt warning................

It seems that all these cars suffer from dash light Issues..................................................................

This is a replacement cluster and only the oil light and one Turn Signal tell tale works on this one :-(

I am currently waiting on a couple of imperial socket sets to be delivered because ive been using a combination of some old very chewed ones,a set currently on Yoyo from a neighbour and even cheating trying to use the nearest Metric :roll:

Anyway until they arrive I cant progess any further with getting the cluster out but as a have a couple of spares I thought I would harvest some bulbs and holders :idea:

All my spare clusters had bulbs missing but between them all I collected 16 Bulbs with holders then tested them for continuity only to find all 16 were cream crackered! Or where they?

Turns out that despite them testing as buggered once pulled out of the holders and tested 14 of the 16 were good bulbs :mrgreen:

I did think about buying a whole new set of holders but

A either cheap from china on a "they will got here eventually................. Maybe?" or £9 for £10 in uk :shock:

B Its not very Autoshite buying new parts if you can save the old bits is it?

So I decided I would take these ones apart and clean them!

So they started like this

28489501657_d6dc38afaa_o_d.jpg

Then after extracting the pins I had a pile of Blanks!

28489499197_b6ec5e28fe_o_d.jpg

So I set about stripping off the oxidisation,I figured they are wayy too small and fiddly for sanding or wire wool so set up an in house science lab with household acid and alkaline ;)

First the dirty pins went into lemon juice which removes all the dirt in minutes but turns it filthy just as quick!

Then the cleaner pins went into White Vinegar to finish off the job ;)

Lemon on Left,Vinegar on Right.

42454365625_d8c866fa2c_o_d.jpg

Before going into a solution of Bicarbonate of Soda in warm water to stop the vinegar carrying on eating the pins!

28489500817_513ab2479b_o_d.jpg

Before resting on kitchen paper to dry

29488355938_f4b18b13d2_o_d.jpg

Then I just had to pinch the contacts close a bit as they had become a tad loose over the years :(

So with them reassembled and the bulbs cleaned up with rubbing alcohol we now have 12 original bulb holders and old bulbs ready to go and now showing perfect continuity from the holder pins through the bubs :mrgreen:

29488355648_5a1d14811f_o_d.jpg

There were two sets of contacts that were badly pitted and wouldnt clean up as well though they do indeed work but as I only need 12 ive set those aside for an emergency and chosen the best ones for installation.

Once my tools are here its cluster trim out,cluster out then clean all the printed circuit contacts,multiway connector and as I have a new Headlight Switch I will replace that as it controls instrument brightness as well as the headlights.

So not much to tell but cleaning up small parts means I have less to do once the cluster is out!

Jo

• richardthestag, danthecapriman, eddyramrod and 13 others like this

#1271 OFFLINE   3VOM

3VOM

• Full Members
  • 943 posts
  • 22 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:38 PM

Giggitty!

• bub2006, Joloke and spartacus like this

What's the retail on one of those plumbed in fire extinguisher systems?

#1272 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,170 posts
  • 175 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:08 PM

Nice chemistry skills there, I wouldn't have thought of that.

• Joloke likes this

#1273 ONLINE   Nibblet

Nibblet

• Full Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:16 AM

Giggitty!

Yes, fnnar fnnar, didn't consider that!
Always fancied a trip to Japan too...
  • Joloke likes this

#1274 ONLINE   Nibblet

Nibblet

• Full Members
  • 3,402 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:19 AM

Appears tiny brass kangaroos are now living in your car Jo...
  • Joloke likes this

#1275 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:40 PM

So today I decided to sweat my tits off inside a car with Vinyl Interior!

I took the headlight switch shaft out followed by the fake wood instrument fascia

To be faced with this

37123389_2077526249241072_21453078433376

Then This

37151117_2077526232574407_87418904490331

Oh bugger my mechanic actually glued it to the dash rather than glueing the pieces and then screwing it to them :(

And I need to get behind there :rolleyes:

After much Merryment and swearing in a foriegn tongue I was at this stage and I soon had The Prize!

See that large Multiway Connector,remember that more about it later..................................

37179063_2077526209241076_12650185790744

So I brought the cluster inside,the contacts were looking a little grubby.

37258189_2077526395907724_43996149472611

But after some tlc from a dish sponge (green side/dry)

37267230_2077526469241050_70651364751001

They were looking much better :mrgreen:

37167541_2077526539241043_89375575540372

All that was left was to reinstall the bulbs and check for good continuity which they then all had :mrgreen:

37140319_2077526599241037_34578438961705

Despite that though when I connected it back up I had lost one light I had before yet gained a couple more but the ones to illuminate the gauges themselves still dont work :mad:

I now have two Indicator/Turn Signal Tale Tales My Full Beam Tell tale now works but my oil light no longer works..................................

I do wonder id I need to retension the the pins on the multi way connector to make better contact?

I will check for voltage at that plug tomorrow it gets supplied by the headlight switch as theres a rheostat on it to dim the dash lights so any one of these could be suspects?

• danthecapriman, eddyramrod, vulgalour and 1 other like this

#1276 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:50 AM

Really handy having a couple of spare clusters and plugs.

43441284651_11b4c53880_k_d.jpg

I have probed the spare cluster and found the supply pin for the backlight bulbs :mrgreen:

42536714705_b9bea4652e_k_d.jpg

The wire sticking out on the left is the ground,the two to the right the supply voltage.

In theory now all I have to do is take the plug out to the car for reference check that pin for volts and if its there its not making good contact,if its not I need to look at the headlight switch as that where it takes the voltage from ;)

In Theory................................

?????????????

• richardthestag and eddyramrod like this

#1277 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,170 posts
  • 175 thanks

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

Just to double check, it is a 12v cluster right? I don't know yanktanks but a lot of older normal cars run a different voltage (often 5v) to the cluster via a voltage stabiliser, I'm not sure if that feeds the bulbs or just the clocks though.

• Joloke likes this

#1278 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:58 AM

Need some help guys (dont I allways!)
Got my instrument cluster out because of no dash lights.

Cleaned all the contacts on the pcb at the rear cleaned bulb holders and then checked everything for continuity with the cluster on the bench and it was 100% Even ran the lights with a 9v battery they all work ;)

Put it back in the car and nothing!

Used my spare cluster and plug to determine which wires power the bulbs and found its the Rlue/Red ones at pin 3

So I probed the pin with the lights on nothing no voltage :(

I then probed the headlight switch plug nothing on the Blue/Red then realised there probably wont be because theres no switch! But there is headlight voltage coming into the switch

I checked the headlight switch itself there wasnt even continuity between the Wiper Pin to the dimmer rheostat and itself so I replaced the switch but we allready know theres no voltage so as much as the new switch is good its not that!

So the cluster lights work outside of the car powered up by a battery ive replaced the headlight switch and headlights work good but non of the gauges illuminate

Most of the warning light are fine now but the oil light but i think thats a bad contact?

Its the 4 gauge illumination bulbs that I am stumped with!

Work out of the car not in and there appears to be no voltage at the big plug?

Heres a Circuit JeeExxEll provided a while ago

jqVbpwS.jpg

Rp4YypN.jpg

Help!!!

#1279 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:59 AM

Just to double check, it is a 12v cluster right? I don't know yanktanks but a lot of older normal cars run a different voltage (often 5v) to the cluster via a voltage stabiliser, I'm not sure if that feeds the bulbs or just the clocks though.

Yes its all 12v ;)

• Hooli likes this

#1280 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

Rank Outsider

• Full Members
  • 14,170 posts
  • 175 thanks

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

That makes life easier at least.

#1281 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,602 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

Diagram sucks for this one.

All I can guess is the light blue/red stripe wire from the light switch goes back to the fuse box and from there hits up the rheostat and other things that don't dim.

Check the dash illumination fuse first. It should be zero volts to car body with the lights off and battery voltage with lights on, both sides. If you got power only on one side of the fuse, there you go. Wiggle fuse. Curse a bit.

If not, Trace back to the headlight switch.

Phil
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#1282 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

Crinkley Bottom

• Full Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationSolihulldontchakno

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:52 PM

bypass the rheostat as well just to be sure

• Joloke likes this

07 Civic spaceship- daily
93 Renner 19 RNi- sulking
89 Sunnay L premium- hiding

Only a complete wank-puffin has a personalised licence plate on a Ford Mondeo!

#1283 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

I think its the fuse,checked it and with the headlights on its 12v on the right but 0v on the left :-(

Its the little 4amp ones you sent me Phil :mrgreen:

Guessing it should have 12v either side?

I can get to it to get my fingers to pull it out but I can get my Multimeter Probe on it

I was a bit surprised would of thought the hot side would be the left but this must go Right to Left?

I cant work on it for a few days now but I will probably get back to it on Thursday

#1284 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

Crinkley Bottom

• Full Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • 20 thanks

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

i think you need to try white/blue trace for dash lights for live

the double red looks like it connects to thr earth side of a lot of bulbs looking at the track which is labelled "white"!

• Joloke likes this

#1285 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:22 PM

i think you need to try white/blue trace for dash lights for live

the double red looks like it connects to thr earth side of a lot of bulbs looking at the track which is labelled "white"!

I think there were changes during 75 just realised when I had the fused link issues this diagram didnt match up :(

Definately Blue/Red the grund on the plug is black and those Blue/Red go directly to the bulbs and match up at the fusebox

#1286 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

Crinkley Bottom

• Full Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • 20 thanks

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:21 PM

i was using the pics of the cluster following the tracks and  my thought was top left for earth and right 4th down for live which looks like double red & white/blue on the plug

#1287 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

Crinkley Bottom

• Full Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • 20 thanks

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

i spose you could work backwards and loop two wires round a bulb holder in the cluster stick 12v up it then find which wire on the plug is now live

#1288 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 2,602 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

I think its the fuse,checked it and with the headlights on its 12v on the right but 0v on the left :-(
Its the little 4amp ones you sent me Phil :mrgreen:
Guessing it should have 12v either side?
I can get to it to get my fingers to pull it out but I can get my Multimeter Probe on it
I was a bit surprised would of thought the hot side would be the left but this must go Right to Left?
I cant work on it for a few days now but I will probably get back to it on Thursday

Don't argue their logic. Right, left.. psh. Yes, it should have volts on both sides of it. The volts drop should be negligible across a fuse, the work in this case is being done by the resistance of the light bulbs.

Phil
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#1289 ONLINE   Joloke

Joloke

• Full Members
  • 1,881 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationSummer 1977

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:00 AM

Back home from a short break and feeling refreshed I decided to Crack on with this.

I now have a backbone like a Sweet peanut after extracting this fuse on the left! They put paper inside them so you cant see if they are blown,dont know why?

So I then replaced it with a nice shiny one provided by Phil A :mrgreen:

37388557_2082363358757361_55977768585202

All sounds very easy but after disconnecting juice then being a contortionist and prizing one end out with a pocket screwdriver in a area I couldnt actually see I had the prize! And putting the new one in was equally fun I dropped it 4 times,the 4th attempt it snook down behind the carpet so I lifted it to find no less than 6 new fuses of various values under the carpet no doubt from past fuse replacement attempts overseas...............................................

So Did it work?

Well sort of..................

At first it was during the day so I couldnt see any dash lights but I pulled the bulbs after trying and they were hot so must of been getting juice?

Ill show you the first photo out of sync so I can explain somethong ;)

The bulbs have little blue filters on them shaped a little like the sherbet saucers when had from the sweet shops as kids. They are sort of listerine mouthwash in colour

37400917_2082363405424023_11520442918963

The above bulb and filter is on show without the fascia as theres a light tube over it to illuminate the headlight switch ;)

But the other bulbs use the same filters.

Thing is we have this situation..................

Bulbs are original to the car I think some are from the 70's?

I noticed that some have black spots despite still working.

Bulb holders are original to the car and despite cleaning them they have lost the spring tension hence why I think some despite working are still not lighting up :-(

I definately need new holders but all the ones on Fleabay are China or Hong Kong with a long lead time.

Or in the UK at a price that doesnt resemble the cost....................................

I need new bulbs too but cant decide do I go incandescant or LED? the light from the bulbs is pants!

Not sure if its the fact the lenses are dirty,the bulbs are past their best or if I would be better off going modern with LED illumination? Anyway here are the money shots (dont expect a Wow factor here its a 70's Ford!)

37381174_2082363305424033_64537291415722

37340837_2082363375424026_55201455479833

37357256_2082363258757371_64088797358577

• danthecapriman and PhilA like this

#1290 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 5,465 posts
  • 52 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

If it helps my Capri ones aren’t much better than that either! I don’t think they were ever all that great really.
Great that they are actually working though.
  • Joloke likes this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users