Wobstang II

Joloke

Little bastards!

The chassis legs around the front on the Mercury had some huge hornet nests in them from when it was back in the states. They’d made like a honeycomb type thing in the engine bay and some bits of the nest/honeycomb were still left behind in places. I pulled some of it out and the little compartments inside were full of dead ones! Horrible looking things they were!

Makes you wonder sometimes what is in these cars that’s coming over here with them. You could be accidentally introducing some weird species.

I’ve heard of a handgun being discovered under the seat in an imported yank. Customs missed it and the new owner found it!

I wouldn’t worry too much if you can’t get them all out. There’s still loads of the dead ones and their honeycomb home in my chassis rails etc that I just can’t get to to remove it. Out of sight out of mind!

I must admit, I don’t mind stuff like bees, hornets and things. It’s spiders I hate! Frigging awful little bastards they are.

Great news about the headliner though. What colour and pattern are you looking at?

Ooh, some very very sun-bleached hornets.

They either had a nest in or near the car decades ago. They like to wander and squeeze in places and get stuck, then go all crispy.

Vacuum cleaner with a stick to prod at them normally gets rid because they get wedged in place over the years.

Paper wasps are worse.. as Dan says they make these little nests up in crevices where it is dry- if there were any in your car their life cycle has been exhausted already so you'll be fine if you find a nest, it'll be dead. This is the time of year where they begin to make nests for the winter, having hatched and matured earlier in the year.

Phil

Did somebody call my name?

I have never had issues with hornets/wasps taking up residence is my cars. They love my house though!

I have had spiders though, in the wings and engine bay, nothing a bit of bug spray and a vacuum couldn't fix.

Shitestang is lookin swell, love the bumper sticker idea! I want to get an old wagon/estate and plaster the side windows in old stickers.

Not sure about ditching the A/C, but this is coming from an Aussie perspective, it probably makes perfect sense in the UK. I couldn't live without A/C!

Good luck and keep it comin'!

Guest Hooli

TBH I'd be tempted to leave that in for the look & fit modern headunit hidden somewhere for chooonz. The mech free USB/bluetooth type stuff are often only a couple of inch deep so easy to hide.

Thing would just be to jury-rig a known good speaker to the radio and see if it's all faint and crappy or if you can get some decent noise out of it.

If not then you can fix that radio but you might want to see if you can find a higher spec one with FM if that's the case. I'm sure it was an option. Maybe not stereo but FM for sure.

(Or something extravagant like this https://m.ebay.com/itm/RetroSound-LAGUNA-B-Radio-3-5mm-AUX-In-for-ipod-Push-Button-226-55-Ford/182749799049 )

Phil

Psh

The coil is still good.. pva glue, coffee filter paper and bridge the gaps. Tweeter is pointless on an AM radio, the maximum frequency audio you'll get is about 4500Hz, well in the range capability of that cone.

Fire up your Blue Peter skills!

post-5454-0-49025200-1530210125_thumb.jpg

(My little 70's transistor radio)

Phil

https://thedhtsstore.com/products/potentiometer-dual-gang-panel-pcb-mount-single-turn-philco-3l3-0005-10-djf0

New old stock for less than five of them there Canadian Toonies.

This is the -10 variant, you might want to contact them and see if they have the data sheet. Your radio is specced for the -9 revision of that one.

You might find they are close enough to be interchangeable, from what I can see it looks to be the length of the shaft that differs with the suffix.

Could you not swap the dashpad and glovebox from the blue dash onto the black frame to make life easier?  The black bits shouldn't be too glaringly obvious that way and if you do find a way to remove the black paint or a suitable re-colouring product to return the black to blue, you can easily* dismantle everything and keep it all intact.