Wobstang II

Joloke

Very good! More impressive was being able to know where it was. I'm surprised they didn't disconnect the battery before shipping it but then again there's a lot to load and that's a lot of pfaff. Hopefully not too much damage and a fairly easy fix. Was the wiring loose?

Phil

Guest Hooli

If you take the hoses off the rad you should be able to flush most of it out like that & flush the block too.

As for the wiring, the fuseable link is designed to save everything else if there is a short, so it should just be a case of replacing it. They normally are just metal, but it's got a higher resistance than normal wire so it gets hot & melts like a fuse before the rest of the wiring harness.

back flush is what you need on that rad. looks pretty gank though. decades of running water with no corrosion inhibitor :(

expect the heater matrix to be just as nasty.

to back flush :)

1. remove thermostat if indeed one is fitted and refit cover

2. set interior heater to hot

3. disconnect top rad hose from rad, connect it to the thermostat housing and point it upwards

4. stick garden hose into top rad hose so you are shooting water straight into the thermostat housing

5. turn hose on and check that water comes out of the top of the rad

6. start engine and run it like this for 30 mins or so

it really shouldnt over heat because it has a constant total loss supply off cold water but keep an eye on it

looking at the crud in the top of the rad you might need some industrial declag in the cooling system first to loosen all the stuff. and then back flush it

back flush is what you need on that rad. looks pretty gank though. decades of running water with no corrosion inhibitor :(

expect the heater matrix to be just as nasty.

to back flush :)

1. remove thermostat if indeed one is fitted and refit cover

2. set interior heater to hot

3. disconnect top rad hose from rad, connect it to the thermostat housing and point it upwards

4. stick garden hose into top rad hose so you are shooting water straight into the thermostat housing

5. turn hose on and check that water comes out of the top of the rad

6. start engine and run it like this for 30 mins or so

it really shouldnt over heat because it has a constant total loss supply off cold water but keep an eye on it

looking at the crud in the top of the rad you might need some industrial declag in the cooling system first to loosen all the stuff. and then back flush it

I'm with you a far as no5, but if you run the engine does it not try to fire the water back out of the top hose?

Just asking, never tried it.

I've heard this advice mentioned a couple of times now on these fair pages - what's the best method to achieve this?

(Jo - don't mean to hijack your thread of sheer Shitestang awesomeness, just curious!)

Literally lob one or two dishwasher tabs in coolant. Run it with them in for a while. Then remove and flush through. Should get out most of the shite floating around.

The amount of shite that came out my cortina cooling system was scary. I don’t have a tap at my lockup so was using 5 litre bottles of water and a funnel . I captured it all and put it back in the bottles so I didn’t kill any kittens and when it settled there was so much crap in there .

If you take the rad out, block the bottom outlet fill it with water and unplug the bottom outlet. If it dumps it pretty much straight out youre good, if it takes longer you’ve got some blockages.

You need someone close by who can work a multi meter, test light and a bit of wire.

If the fuse link has blown it can be bridged with  another fuse or fused link.

If battery is old type you should loosen/remove the caps for charging, but be careful of sparks which can cause nasty explosion. Would use the booster pack to start it first maybe.

Must be one of us within reach of you. 

Car electrics scare many of us. You are not alone  :-D

If you're concerned about flames, don't do anything alone and have someone on standby ready to disconnect electrics and/or use a suitable fire extinguisher.  It probably won't be needed, but if it is then you've got it to hand immediately.

An extremely brief hunt online pulled up this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fusible-Link-Wire-Assembly-Green-FORD-D3AZ-14526-P/263546247059 which I think is what you're after?  If not, it might help find something.  From the number of results from just typing in "Mustang II Fusible Link" suggests this is a fairly common, but not terminal, problem.