Amazing...

Twiggy

I heard about this van on Radio 2 this morning, £6400! that's a lot of money for a toy!.I had the same Dinky A40 van as well, But mine was green with Raleigh on the side, and a bit tatty, still it only made £10 on ebay when i sold it.

Dinky stuff is worth loads, aside from the occasional late issue models, which are either abundent and worth nothing, or rare ones which only about 100 were madeAll old dinkys have massive amounts of scene tax on them, no joke, if you want a beaten up old dinky toy from ebay or even a model fair, expect to pay at least over a fiver.A tenner if its from the fifties

Dinkies have become probabily the most sought after of all the toy die cast models and a quite a of pre 70's mint and boxed stuff fetches healthy amounts. Its the rarer colour variations and liveries that get the mental money, particularly the one on the bbc site - which is a one off. Because so many were played with and therefore damaged or even worse thrown away, mint examples of Dinky and early corgi models tend to be collectable. The values of those Tri-ang 'Spot on' models often reach treble figures, for a variety of reasons - all the cars and trucks were in the same scale, they were better detailed than their corgi and dinky contempories, the original boxes had tokens on them for a free model, which you had to destroy the box for. Lastly the Belfast factory burnt down in the late sixties, effectively ending the 'Spot on' range of models. Even really fucked 'Spot on's go for reasonable money.

What on earth!?I've one of those vans, its got 'ATV' on the side (associated television). Wonder what it would make?I'd always assumed the old dinky stuff had little or no value. *goes to rummage in mothers loft*

If you find an Amazon in that pile pog, gimme a shout.

The Omnisport van which was a promotional for a South American sporting goods dealer, is a bit of a special case; although listed it was thought never to have been produced so it's a real one-off. Despite that, if I had £6.5k burning a hole in my pocket, I could think of better things to spend it on....In the long term I see the prices of Dinky Toys falling as the collector base gets older. I suspect most Dinky collectors are driven by nostalgia and as that generation gves up collecting or passes away there will be less younger collectors to fill their shoes.Most younger collectors I believe, want the accuracy and detail of current models - certainly though I have a number of Corgi and Dinky vehicles in my collection, I have tended to replace them with newer examples as they become available and the Dinkies look a bit out of place on the shelves next to Minichamps and Vanguards.I do have the BBC camera van which, like the other Supertoys lorries is a lovely thing and very much of the period, but I can't see the values holding over the next 20 years personally.A few years ago I was able to purchase Pathfinder models as they were released and the values for these has risen considerably in only a relativey short time. Again, though, the subjects are mainly cars of the 50s so I really ouught to be cashing in on my investment sooner rather than later.Pre-war cars will eventually go the same way as only real conossieurs will want them. I'd have a car from the 30s but I doubt many of my generation feel the same.

The pre-war cars thing has already happened Mash, they say demand is pretty low for a lot of things and it's hard to get the younger generation interested. I'd love to drive a pre-war car but I doubt I could feasibly own one - it'd be a lot of effort for something I'd only realistically end up driving to car shows.

Despite that, if I had £6.5k burning a hole in my pocket, I could think of better things to spend it on....

I'd buy a really nice condition A40 Devon Van and sign write it with Omnisport, then claim added modelling-scene tax when selling, so about 30k I reckon. :wink: Agree with what you say re pre-war cars etc. At some point values of those that are more common will surely fall due to lack of demand? Would make them more realistic for those of us that fancy a go one day.