Yet another van for sale - 2003 Berlingo - £300

wuvvum

At the risk of turning this hallowed forum into vanz4sale.com, my twitchy bidding finger has led to the fleet once again approaching tipping point, so my recently purchased Berlingo is going to have to go.

Good bits:

-Goes, stops, steers, carries stuff in the back.

-MOT to May next year.

-It's a Berlingo so it's small and light enough that the DW8 engine can achieve some semblance of forward motion.

-Has a chuffing great roof rack

-Electrics mostly work, although the nearside sidelight is a bit temperamental and the heater blower only works on 4.  Has the original stereo, and the steering wheel controls still work, although it only has one working speaker at present. 

-Starts first time even in sub-zero temperatures, and heater is decent enough.

-Has new screen wash jets as I gave up trying to unblock the old ones, and a new wiper blade on the driver's side (passenger side is older but fine).

-Seems solid enough and is free from major dents.

Bad bits:

-Paintwork isn't brilliant, with quite a few small scratches around the van, although it's not hideous.

-Door locks are shite, as is often the case with this design of lock - the driver's door is a pain in the arse to lock / unlock from the outside and the rear and passenger door locks don't want to know at all.

-One of the front tyres is borderline, but I'll chuck in a decent one.

-Interior could do with a good clean, although I've had a bash at the dash and also bought a pair of sexy Wilko waterproof seat covers to tidy up the manky seats a bit.

-When it's very wet there is sometimes a drip of water which comes from the interior light aperture and drips down onto the centre console.  I've not been able to work out where it's coming from, it's not the windscreen seal as it's too far back / up for that - could possibly be around the aerial mounting, which is broken anyway (I've clipped a bit of wire to it to improve the radio signal).  It's not bad enough that I've felt the need to spend too much time investigating.

-Horn doesn't work.

That's about it I think.  It drives well enough for what it is - an old French van with 170K on the clock.  The brakes are good, the steering felt a bit vague to start with but I'm used to it now (I think I may have been expecting it to feel more carlike than it does).  The gearbox is OK apart from it crunching if you change down into first on the move.  I've no doubt it'd get you to wherever and carry on giving plodding service for a good while yet.

Here's the only daylight picture I have of it at the moment:

post-190-0-69076000-1513299890_thumb.jpg

In NE Norfolk, as always.

• 3 weeks later...

If someone wants a towbar for one of these, I have a genuine one that fits a treat in the designed spaces behind the bumper and bolts to existing holes.. no drilling or spacers required at all, including newish bolts and a ball and 12N black socket and a length of 7-core still attached.  £30.

These are stunningly good tow vehicles, mainly because they have almost zero rear overhang, meaning the ratio of wheelbase to towbar-to-rear-axle is extremely good, making it really very stable indeed.  Towed a 2-tonne box trailer with one once, and other than it being a bit slow and struggling for grip a couple of times on loose gravel, it was excellent and stable, even in some fairly horrid sidewinds.