Mongol Rally 2cray18 - on the road!

willswitchengage

Chaps, we are Autoshite, and as such there is only one sub 1.2 litre car that we can recommend for doing a 10000 journey in.

post-20228-0-64329400-1512954150_thumb.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-METRO-1-1s/202135697527?hash=item2f1039f877:g:bDcAAOSwHYpaJWfU

1.1 litre, year's MOT and 53k on the clock, only £360 with 14 hours to go.

Or one with 19k on the clock at £500 with 8 hours to go.

post-20228-0-49099000-1512954444_thumb.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-Metro-1-1L-1992-K-reg-MINT-CONDITION-19000-miles-from-new-all-original/232587956497?hash=item3627529111:g:X2MAAOSwU1FZ73Ag

Or this 211 in Southend if you want some luxury (ie: wood trim), only £300

post-20228-0-18450700-1512954591_thumb.jpg

https://www.gumtree.com/p/rover/rover-1.1-for-sale/1276785014

Speak to Mike_Knight on here.  He's got a Micra and a Corsa B that I believe are within budget.  The Corsa is ex-RobT and when we were using it was absolutely flawlessly reliable.  If it'll go London to Stockton-on-Tees non-stop with me at the helm it should do fine for what you're after... though it will be a bit of a shame to see it get charity rallied I suppose.

The MK2 Fiesta pictured in the first post on this thread was entered by some lads I worked with at UK Bungee.

It was a bit of a shame as it was a mintola giffer owned example. It ended up held together by rope having ripped its suspension mountings out somewhere on route. It blew it's gearbox, thankfully while still in europe, early on, but a replacement was sourced.

They had an epic trip, and throuroughly recommended doing it!

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were deducting points for boring cars that have been overused. Maybe I'm confusing that with 24 Hours of Lemons.

Are you certain that you will be ended up in Mongolia? My cousin did it this year and right before entrants arrived at the border the country said something along the lines of "That will be huge amount of money to bring car into country, please" so the event ended in Russia instead.

Also I'm not sure how rigid that car has to be brought back to Europe thing is. My cousins Yaris could still be sitting on a Russian street where they abandoned it... Then again if you brought the car back home again it'd be one hell of a special thing to you I'm sure.

Speak to Mike_Knight on here.  He's got a Micra and a Corsa B that I believe are within budget.  The Corsa is ex-RobT and when we were using it was absolutely flawlessly reliable.  If it'll go London to Stockton-on-Tees non-stop with me at the helm it should do fine for what you're after... though it will be a bit of a shame to see it get charity rallied I suppose.

:shock: not Nugget please  :mrgreen:

I'm sure I read somewhere that they were detecting points for boring cars that have been overused. Maybe I'm confusing that with 24 Hours of Lemons.

Are you certain that you will be ended up in Mongolia? My cousin did it this year and right before entrants arrived at the border the country said something along the lines of "That will be huge amount of money to bring car into country, please" so the event ended in Russia instead.

Also I'm not sure how rigid that car has to be brought back to Europe thing is. My cousins Yaris could still be sitting on a Russian street where they abandoned it... Then again if you brought the car back home again it'd be one hell of a special thing to you I'm sure.

Ironically the entry criteria restrict you to a boring car - hence why the Micra K11 is by and large the most popular. I massively disagree with the logic of the organisers but they are needed for one key thing that you mention there - getting the car back. You are right the event actually concludes just over the border in Russia, but you can't leave your car there. It either needs to be shipped back (which the organisers sponsor) or driven back. It can neither be sold or scrapped without incurring legal penalties.

Returning to the original focus of this group... has anyone anything cheap for sale :)

As has already been said I would have suggested a fiat siseley, or just a panda (not new style) or a metro as that would make me laugh. :).

You could always see what a popular cheapy car is in the countries that you are visiting and buy one of those. Then you will be able to get spare parts easily :)

Hope you have a great time, I'm jealous.

This is the rally I want to go on.

http://www.pandaraid.com

I used to live in Spain and had an ace Seat Marbella. A car only appreciated by the Spanish and Italians, not my fellow UK ex pats who rather rudely scoffed at it!

• 1 month later...

WE HAVE BOUGHT A CAR

post-5328-0-14075700-1518357530_thumb.jpg

It's a 199something Daihatsu Charade 1.3 16V EFI GXI STDT GSOH WLTM LOL.

From carandclassic - it's a one 91 year old owner which was then passed on to the lady in the photo. It's done 35,000 miles and is as clean as a whistle.

We are slightly bending the rules in taking a 1.3 litre vehicle, but we wanted something reliable-ish. This has the Daihatsu HC-E engine which allegedly puts out 90hp, which should make it move like shit off a shovel considering the car weighs only 800kg. However, it doesn't, so will need a bit of servicing. The idle is a bit low too - it doesn't stall but is probably about 600rpm and the car resonates a lot on tickover, with and without a big electrical load on. Anyway, having not driven a fuel injected car in years this does seriously move around town and it was a lot of fun driving it home through London. I plan to begin by replacing the ignition system (coil, spark plugs, rotor and cap) to try and boost its performance again. The coolant is very brown - what type should this require? The modern orange stuff? I believe it is an all-aluminium engine. It holds its temperature nicely though.

Other stuff that will need looking at:

+ It had a knocking sound from the front RHS wheel; generally went away as we drove home but was audible when turning left at speed. The brakes also vibrated like mad when we first set off, but this settled towards the end of the journey to no more than my current car does (and passes MOTs).

+ Gear linkage seemed a bit stiff - I think it's cable operated. Just a bit of lube needed?

Other than that I'm pretty pleased. Tyres pumping up and it'll be perfect :)

EDIT - this car doesn't have a Haynes. Does anybody know a good place for downloading PDF service manuals online or should I just 'google' it?

This is what Comma state is correct for your Daihatsu

http://www.commaoil.com/products/results/91001670/vrn

G30 is pretty common for most cars these days. Looks good though, very well bought. I always liked these and nearly owned one in NZ but got beaten in the auction (quite substantially!)

Those fuckers are NOT strong

When I was 20 or so I hit a big speedhump hard and bent one of the chassis rails and a driveshaft popped out.

Well, when I say hit a speedhump I mean there were a pair of speedhumps. I hit the first one, took off and landed on the second one.

A Reliant Rialto would be brilliant. This one has a long mot, few issues but plenty time to sort them out. Looks to have been painted at some point to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reliant-Rialto-Estate-running-motd-logbook-spares-repairs/253306805367?hash=item3afa431c77:g:HjwAAOSw7z1aLq0m

Feck me, thank god you didn't get a three wheeler. It sounds a real hoot a monty journey in a plastic pig, but reality would soon set in. I did a Euro Rally run in an Avensis, 2000 miles in four days, plenty of room for luggage etc and a few tools. The previous year some guys had tried one of Reliants finest, bailed before they got to Dover, the reality of 500 miles in a day in a pig soon hit home.....

No income tax no VAT no money back no guarantee

Probably should be blue coolant on these but either way it sounds like a good flush with water would be worthwhile. 

Looks like a good purchase, are you going to try and bring it back?

Possibly. The event has a bizarre rule that you can't abandon your car at the destination (I think due to anti-import rules) so you need to either drive it back or ship it to Estonia and scrap it there or just drive it back around the Baltic.

Daft question but is a garden hose an acceptable method of coolant flushing? I've only ever done it before by fiddling with all the bleed valves but not all the coolant actually comes out.

Those fuckers are NOT strong

It was a toss up between this and a Suzuki Swift but the owner of the latter was a moron when I viewed the car, and its general quality was lower. Most Japanese cars of the era had multi-link suspension unlike us lazy Europeans who used the easy-to-manufacture torsion beam, I wonder which is better over rough roads?

Garden hose works for me, just loosen the bottom hose if only flushing the rad in-situ.  Flushing the whole system is easiest when up to temperature (thermostat open), engine idling, heater on full and rad cap off, catching coolant for correct disposal as it leaks out of the bottom hose joint until reasonably clear and topping up with hot water to stop the system running dry. A more thorough job requires more dismantling.

Suspension on rough roads?  Multilink will drop more pieces on to the road than a torsion beam but it's anyone's guess as to which will fall apart first.