Mongol Rally 2cray18 - on the road!

willswitchengage

Possibly. The event has a bizarre rule that you can't abandon your car at the destination (I think due to anti-import rules) so you need to either drive it back or ship it to Estonia and scrap it there or just drive it back around the Baltic.

Daft question but is a garden hose an acceptable method of coolant flushing? I've only ever done it before by fiddling with all the bleed valves but not all the coolant actually comes out.

It was a toss up between this and a Suzuki Swift but the owner of the latter was a moron when I viewed the car, and its general quality was lower. Most Japanese cars of the era had multi-link suspension unlike us lazy Europeans who used the easy-to-manufacture torsion beam, I wonder which is better over rough roads?

Garden hose is fine, but RayMK's version is novel to me:  I've always flushed cold.  A cold flush too also allows the cooling system to be back-flushed, it's amazing just how much crud and shonkiness comes out of a heater matrix and how much better it is as a heater afterwards!  The same applies to radiators and that.

As to coolant for an aluminium-block engine from nigh on 30 years ago, anything that's good for Renaults of that era should be fine.

Missed this the first time round. I'm sure when I first looked into the Mongol rally (admittedly 10ish years ago) that the whole point was that you would leave the cars behind, thus providing a cheap car for someone local in need. Was that ever true / when did it change? Shame anyway.

But yeah awesome to see someone attempting it, all the best of fortunes with it and the chosen car looks excellent. I would 100% have taken the free Ignis though.

If the condition of my mates Fiesta, which just about completed the rally a couple of years back, was anything to go by, it was only fit for scrap.

Torn chassis legs, ripped out suspension mountings, (the whole front end was pretty much held together with ratchet straps), only 3 forward gears left etc etc.

I'm not sure if they get theirs back out of the country to be honest...

The rules are bizarre. For some reason the finish line is actually a place called Ulan Ude which is in Russia, just north of the Mongolian border. This makes visas slightly trickier as for route planning reasons Russia must be entered and exited twice. The rules have changed a lot over the years too and I have got into numerous squabbles with the organisers over them as some are nonsensical, with their 'humerous' responses not really helping. Anyway, shouldn't really diss even if I am handing over a lot of my hard-earned to them.

I went to their meet and greet event a couple of weeks ago; that and the Facebook group has highlighted to me that 90% of those participating are pillheads, students whose parents have deep pockets and people who wear baseball caps backwards and have pistonheads.com in their favourites bar. Fortunately however there are a small minority of genuinely organised people who I have began liaising with.

Anyway, the car will also be getting van tyres at some point as anecdotally from previous rallies they're a lot more suited to rough roads. Hopefully I can find some in 155/13...

Other than that the only mod it'll be getting is an engine tray and tennis balls in the springs. It's sound system is pretty good for the age too  8)

Tyre Leader have these light truck tyres at not much money

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/maxxis/energtra-meco3/155-70-r13-75t-589563

Otherwise they have quite a range of reinforced tyres that might fit the bill

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-155-70-13/?sp%5B2%5D=on&orderby=prix

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway, the car will also be getting van tyres at some point as anecdotally from previous rallies they're a lot more suited to rough roads. Hopefully I can find some in 155/13...

Other than that the only mod it'll be getting is an engine tray and tennis balls in the springs. It's sound system is pretty good for the age too 8)

If 165r13s fit under the arches I'd def want the bigger size. I've driven for thousands of miles on untarmaced roads and the closer to an old style balloon tyre, the better - the tyre to rim width ratio is a big part of it, the bigger this is the more suspension in the tyre as the sidewalk can flex more.

You'll need tyres which are tough but not so inflexible or so heavy they wreck the suspension and what it's attached to after 300 miles of washboard.

Are you taking a couple of extra rims?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Nankang-CW-25-165R13C-94-92Q-8PR/332172968659?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3D2c431768e3d246f9a9823ed171913031%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D332172968659&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226will be strong, there are these too at £20 a piece if you collect https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-165R13-C-Kingpin-Tyres-165-80r13-c-Tyres-165-80-13-Commercial-Van-x4/172930800614?hash=item28437a9be6:g:cSAAAOSwvP1Z1Ojm

• 2 months later...

Emmerdale man insisted that the car has zero residual value so today we recruited a friend of his hot sister to paint the car. I was cynical but I'll admit the finished product (which I cleverly forgot to photograph) actually looked pretty good, even if the 'dado rail' got in the way a bit. Considering he used Hammerite and a couple of one inch brushes I found in the hardware store he did a sterling job.

Incidentally I cycled into Brixton to do help out with this and there 100% of drivers are on their phone and you genuinely do see those 'moped gangs' absolutely everywhere riding around on the pavement etc; no helmets and no numberplates. It is quite terrifying seeing them although I don't know what their specific targets are. Also a stark contrast from the thousands of people I saw in the various parks I rode past enjoying themselves.

post-5328-0-96759600-1526756156_thumb.jpg

post-5328-0-55363700-1526756171_thumb.jpg

Regarding tyres I appreciate the advise. Thank you. We have a choice between the lower and higher profile tyres on 13 inch rims.

The Nankang van tyres look a good bet - strength, but possibly at the penalty of a harsh ride? This vendor is close to me and the tyre size is listed:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Nankang-CW-25-155R13C-90-88R-8PR/332171617710?hash=item4d56f8a5ae:g:SMwAAOSwXYtY4Cxi

post-5328-0-03830900-1526756854_thumb.jpg

Is there any reason why I shouldn't go down a speed rating from S to R? Looking on 'the web' the difference is a whopping 6 mph.

Daft question 2. Neither the car or the handbook recommends an octane rating. I have no idea what old euro-spec Japanese cars are designed to be optimised before, but I only worry as Asia may only have the watered down 87 type stuff that they use in America.

Might "pink" a bit on 87, unless the engine has a knock sensor to adjust according to supply?

If you can adjust the distributor timing, you may need to knock it back a couple of degrees to allow for the lower octane fuel otherwise. Pinking is a kind of amusing sound until it suddenly isn't!

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress today. Got the Mongolian visa sorted (wahoo!) leaving just Iran to go.

The car received its decals over the weekend. They're a bit shit but the printer did it for free so long as he could have their logo all over the car too. Emmerdale man forgot to take the car in for its MOT and pissed off his local garage so I'm doing it instead now. Here is the fleet bonding this evening:

post-5328-0-43710500-1527532044_thumb.jpg

Sorted the engine's low idle (adjusting the screen is a nightmare it turns out) and now just got the veering to one side to fix. It's hilarious to drive around town, ridicu-sensitive and pokey in something so small and lightweight.

Correct. My local are pretty helpful but we did spend most of the day deliberating it on the phone. He couldn't source any from their preferred suppliers and I only managed to find one at the end of the day by the team we'd already agreed that welding would be a good temporary enough fix to get it through the test. It was just the front pipe which failed although realistically I'm not too fussed as the car really is very tired and I'm sceptical it'll affordably pass a future MOT, so this trip may well unfortunately be it'd last hurrah. Think been parked up at a beach for its whole life.

The other part it needed was a brake hose which was pretty easy to find on ebay so not sure what went wrong there.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a 'photoshoot' with our very generous sponsors yesterday. Emmerdale man's old school and an estate agent had given us a lot of money for us to promote their brands on the car. Here we are ready to go...

post-5328-0-69381700-1529259928_thumb.jpg

All servicing done. Only 'mod' so far is a CB radio surprisingly neatly fitted under the dash. We plan to fit a multi-USB/12V power utlet too so if anybody knows of a decent one I'm all ears. Only think we haven't got so far is a sump protector but I hope to find an engineer out in the sticks somewhere to make us one. Our friends who participated last year had one made in Turkey and have an excellent video somewhere of the welder using a piece of cardboard as a face mask.

Daft question 2. Neither the car or the handbook recommends an octane rating. I have no idea what old euro-spec Japanese cars are designed to be optimised before, but I only worry as Asia may only have the watered down 87 type stuff that they use in America.

In New Zealand 91 is standard and 95/97 is mega expensive, 99 is unheard off, all the JDM YO stuff if quite happy on 91 but may work lower.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a Maestro van doing it too but I haven't seen it. A French team with an Ami8 got the award for best car at the launch event. They're still on the road at least as I saw them in Azerbaijan last week.

The Metro is owned by two old boys with no mechanical accumen who work at lawyers in the Far East, one being a founding partner. It's by no means just 'da yoof'.

• 4 weeks later...

And it's finished. We made it! There'll be a mahoosive post in the next few weeks when I get home, but for now here's a taster photo from last night's camp:

post-5328-0-49492700-1535116527_thumb.jpg

Now a test post...

I have just completed the 2018 Mongol Rally and following a brief and poorly maintained preparation/introduction thread here I have written a full narrative of the event. Hopefully the rest of the 10,000 or so adverb-heavy words below will be more intriguing, amusing and maybe even arousing than that very dull opening sentence. That’s a word per mile that we drove so consider it value for money.

Marked on this map are the locations of every of my overnight stays with the exception of that on the Caspian Sea ferry. It took exactly six weeks from departing England to arriving at Ulan-Ude in Siberia.

I took my ‘big camera’ but after a fairly boring first week I only used it for about five photos, so the overwhelming majority of these are just from my phone as we quickly realised that situational photography best captured what we were doing. Other teams came armed with tripods and drones and have produced incredible photo blogs of their travels. We dicked around taking selfies, so a lot of my pictures break the golden rule of bulletin boards. Most of the photos here are mine with the Carphone Warehouse’s ch