9-5 estate - second date

stripped fred

Thanks, I'm not sure if it was noisy, just felt lazy and didn't want to catch. I'll let the garage work it out but a new egr might be worth a try. Does this first one look ok, or cheap crap? The genuine one is four times as much.

Non genuine

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F121251873091

Genuine

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401182571157

The starter motors don't seem too dear either, about £70.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F371979617038

Just back from a 300 mile, 2 day tour of Lincolnshire. After the Saab not starting I set off in the Sharan, not sure how it would cope in the snow being an auto. I shouldn't haven't worried. It didn't miss a beat, coping with slushy and icy roads, narrow, bumpy lanes with ditches either side, town traffic. Returned 40mpg, no problems whatsoever, gripped well too. Mmm, my 'buy a newer car because it will be more reliable' thought looks on dodgy ground at the moment. Tempted to keep the Sharan as a winter beater while I get the Saab sorted, decisions...

post-19517-0-98642600-1513107751_thumb.jpg

I consider diesel-engined Saabs to be the spawn of the Devil; I owned a 2.2 TiD 9-5 Linear estate for six months before it suffered from sudden - and terminal - fuel pump failure. I hope that you have more luck with yours.

Different problems with the 1.9 AFAIK. I hope I have more luck too.

The VP pumps were great til number 44.

These things seem like total "low cost big liability" fodder. I hope it's an easy fix and you don't end up emptying your paycheck into it.

I doubt it's anything too bad but I'll find out soon. Just the usual thing of buying a car that has a few problems. I always seem to have to spend a bit when I first buy a car. Perhaps this says something about the thoroughness of my inspection prior to purchase, i.e. buy the first one i see.

Different problems with the 1.9 AFAIK. I hope I have more luck too.

My best mate has a very nice 9-5 1.9 TiD Vector estate of a similar vintage to yours, which he bought from a Saab dealer in the summer to replace his knackered 2002 9-5 2.0 LPT Arc estate. So far, he has had charging problems (fixed) and cold starting problems (ongoing) with it.

My best mate has a very nice 9-5 1.9 TiD Vector estate of a similar vintage to yours, which he bought from a Saab dealer in the summer to replace his knackered 2002 9-5 2.0 LPT Arc estate. So far, he has had charging problems (fixed) and cold starting problems (ongoing) with it.

That's interesting. I've read that they can be a bit poor starting from cold. Will be interesting to see what the garage say. I'm going to clean the egr first to rule that out as an issue.

Sorry, in my head there were visions of me communicating with the wife from outside as she'd just chucked me out for harbouring thoughts of a 95 on my drive.

Just ignore me. I'm not dangerous.

I did wonder. I also thought it could mean she really didn't like autos!

If you carry on reading this thread I might be able to put you off them...

My 9-3 1.9ctdi (150bhp) used to do that randomly. Often if you stalled and restarted the engine. Only briefly and quickly pinged up. The general view on the Saab forums was that They All Do That Sir.

I'd only personally be concerned if it stays up.

Just out of interest, what were your views on your 9-3. Any major problems with it?

Just out of interest, what were your views on your 9-3. Any major problems with it?

Well lol. Basically I bought it off my parents at 6 years old (who had owned it from 6months old) because they'd gotten fed up with it breaking all the time. Incidentally the Aldi A4 they replaced it with is now mine. That's had it's problems but no where near as a regular occurrence.

I can't find the list but between 8k and 120k they owned it and I owned it between 120k and 135k. In that time there was over 18 separate things that went wrong. Vast majority were bits that were attached to that diesel lump. EGRs (several), a turbo (warranty job), inlet manifold (which went again with me), injector, glow plugs (broke the next day after the dealer changed the turbo), water pump (to be fair the dealer should have offered to do that on the belt change), alternator, fuel rail pressure sensor, clutch+DMF (once and it was starting to go with me) and a few other bits. Other bits not engine were front springs (at the time was a month waiting list), ignition lock, air con recirculation flap motor, door lock, cd player (fibre optic system so can't replace with aftermarket), gear selector bushes, airbag ECU and a few other bits I can't remember.

Oh and the gear knob had a habit of exploding and shooting off on the odd occasion.

But I really liked it and started my like for Saabs. Ended up getting rear ended on the motorway, shunting me into the car in front. Set the airbags off and wrote it off. Got more off the insurance company than I paid.

I'd have another! But then you all know I'm a bit wierd.

So to pick up where I left off, this has been sitting out on the road refusing to start. I've been busy so progress is slow. I've been driving the Sharan and enjoying it more. Starting first turn of the key, dependable and i am now an auto convert. However, after a few days in the naughty corner I thought I better give this a second chance.

After fixing the mirror, a temporary measure I might add as I bought some replacement glass for £7, i received my portable power pack. I love Amazon prime. Ordered in the morning and arrived at tea time. With the help* of my 8 and 10 year old we connected it up and hoped for the best. Well, what do you know, it only worked! I've driven it a couple of times now as it started again today. It turns over too slowly for my liking though.

On reaquitance, it's a nice place to be. It's been well looked after too, not a mark in it as far as I can tell, inside or out. The central position for the key is taking some getting used to, especially as my bunch of keys is far too large so they get in the way of the window switches. First world problems i know.

The suspension is impressive, very smooth, particularly as the garage have replaced the worn parts. The engine seems to have quite a bit of poke too, when you wind it up, and it's quite easy to spin the wheels this weather and get the traction light on.

We gave the cruise another try out, now I know how it works. Set it at 32mph as we were only driving locally. I still haven't completely fathomed it out as I hit resume while in 2nd gear and then bottled it as it charged for the red line!

I was disappointed to realise that the heated rear demister doesn't work, in addition to the parking sensors and rear wiper. I wonder if this is a broken wire somewhere or just a coincidence? I would like to get this lot working if I can as it's a pig to park and would be nice to see out the back.

I've worked out how to get it into 5th gear more easily. You need to aim for the ashtray rather than towards you. 1st is also a bit baulky. I will see how she behaves before giving this any more attention, or expense.

I've watched a YouTube video and removal of the egr seems quite simple so I will attempt to clean that as soon as I get a minute. I also have an egr blanking plate which I might attempt to fit.

I'm now thinking I'd like to keep both cars for a bit. It's just the insurance which will kill me.

post-19517-0-60651500-1513374676_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-33769900-1513374713_thumb.jpg

post-19517-0-33651400-1513374760_thumb.png

post-19517-0-97302400-1513374784_thumb.jpg

Modern cars but especially Saabs don't like weak batteries. It plays havoc with the electrical systems and spurious error lights.

You'll get used to the centre keyswitch eventually. It's there because it was found a lot of injuries were caused by knees hitting the keys on the column. When I had my automatic (with a manual handbrake) 9-5, I also owned a keyless start, automatic gearbox and handbrake Laguna and a standard key, but starter button with manual gearbox and handbrake Spaceship Civic. I was always doing the wrong thing going into the different cars.

Who said modern cars are all the same.

Not sure about the parking sensor (you still need to get your lug'oles down there and see if they're ticking), but if both the heated rear window and the rear wiper are dead, that's almost certainly broken wires as they go through into the bootlid - or potentially broken wires have shorted and blown fuses.

I hate selling anything with that 1.9 diesel engine in it in winter time..nearly all of them are a bastard to start , especially when fitted in a fiat sedici..  It is never ever down to the first few components you replace ........

eta.  a simpler way of putting it..i HATE FUCKING DIESELS.