9-5 estate - second date

stripped fred

I've been really happy with the Sharan I bought off Krujoe. It took the whole family to France and I love the space and flexibility although tbh I don't really need 7 seats. Being able to change the seating layout is great and i've found out that I really like autos as this is my first. I did have limp mode to contend with initially but that has mostly been sorted. I've spent a bit on it and got it through the recent mot with no major issues. However, my work has changed and I want something with less miles and I would like more comfort and working aircon. The engine pulls well and doesn't use much oil but it seems to be getting a bit more smokey to me. Will probably soldier on but I fancied a change.

My criteria was space so an estate and plenty of legroom in the back, diesel (I know the arguments against and may live to

regret this decision, we'll see), cruise and climate. Some evidence of being looked after and a recent cambelt would be nice and I didn't want to spend any more than £1500. I looked at mk4 Mondeos, Accord Tourers, S max's and Audi A4's and A6's, and Passats. I then turned to the Saab 9-5.

I prefer a private sale so I can meet the owner. After plenty of trawling autotrader and eBay i found a car not too far away that was newer than the others for the price and seemed ok. A 2007 linear sport 1.9 tid estate with 134k. Not a bad spec and had what I want. No leather or heated seats but cruise and climate. Also has been serviced by the current owner who is a train mechanic or something like that...

When I arrived it looked great, very clean and the owner seemed decent. He explained the work he's done on it and seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me it had been parked up for a bit as he now has a company car. As soon as we set off he said the steering felt bit funny. When I drove it it was obvious that the power steering wasn't working. There was a small patch of fluid on the driveway. I think he already knew this but as everything else seemed ok we agreed a reduction on the price of £400 and off I went. Probably overpaid slightly but I'm useless at haggling.

I took it to my local garage and they've now fixed it by bypassing the power steering cooler. They also replaced the drop links, front trailing arm bushes and a rear shock. So I'm in for £1600 now but I'm hoping for no more expense for a while (how naive I am).

There was a distinct lack of paperwork although service history until 70k, but he said he did the cambelt and water pump at 124k, and serviced it every 10k. The garage have said they believe this to be true as it looks looked after. I do have the invoice for the intercooler.

It's had a dpf delete and a mild remap at the same time. This appears a common mod with these due to the cost of a new dpf.

I've hardly driven it yet and initial impressions are mixed. I'm not used to a manual now and thinking I should have gone for the auto. It is quite spacious but compared with the Sharan it feels very low down. I like the seats which are definitely comfy and supportive. The stereo is good and everything seems to work, with the exception of the rear parking sensors and rear wiper (tbc). The engine feels ok for a boring, modern diesel although there is a slight squeel from a bearing, the gearchange is a bit vague and I always find it takes a while to adjust to a new car. I like the looks of it though and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better. I'm doing more long distance journeys so I'm hoping this is where it will prove it"s worth, or the folly of my decision!

post-19517-0-79167900-1512899469_thumb.png

post-19517-0-69466000-1512899508_thumb.png

post-19517-0-56075200-1512899532_thumb.png

post-19517-0-30924700-1512899552_thumb.png

Cruise is amazing, I really missed it last week. Does depend how many motorway miles you do, it can be a bit bum-clenchy on twisty roads when you don't even realise that naturally you're lifting off around corners, but the car just wants to keep the power on.

I never really used night panel on mine, but it's a cool feature.

Cruise is amazing, I really missed it last week. Does depend how many motorway miles you do, it can be a bit bum-clenchy on twisty roads when you don't even realise that naturally you're lifting off around corners, but the car just wants to keep the power on.

I never really used night panel on mine, but it's a cool feature.

I've still not worked out how to operate the cruise properly. I get the light in the dash sometimes even when it's off. I think that's because the speed has been set and when you press resume it will go back to that speed? I will try it out tomorrow. I have to drive to skegness, weather permitting, although there is an absence of motorways...

I've still not worked out how to operate the cruise properly. I get the light in the dash sometimes even when it's off. I think that's because the speed has been set and when you press resume it will go back to that speed? I will try it out tomorrow. I have to drive to skegness, weather permitting, although there is an absence of motorways...

From memory the Saab has a slider on the indicators stalk, you can turn it off but also cancel it but leave it turned on in which case resume will go back to a set speed and light the light. I remember getting a bit confused by it because it was a different set of controls to my VW (separate on/off/cancel and speed up/down) and my BMW (speed up/down but only on/resume buttons)

Do you have an owner's manual for this? If not, I think I've got a Dame Edna one kicking around somewhere.

It came with the owners manual but thanks for the offer. I keep forgetting this is the Dame Edna one. I think it's because it's a light colour so the chrome around the headlights doesn't stand out as much as with a darker colour.

I do notice the GM influence inside. Feels similar in quality to my facelift 156 which underwent some cost cutting by that time. Overall though the quality doesn't seem too bad and similar to most mass produced cars. Not that premium though.

From memory the Saab has a slider on the indicators stalk, you can turn it off but also cancel it but leave it turned on in which case resume will go back to a set speed and light the light. I remember getting a bit confused by it because it was a different set of controls to my VW (separate on/off/cancel and speed up/down) and my BMW (speed up/down but only on/resume buttons)

Thanks. I will try it out properly once this bloody snow has cleared!

I hate the cruise on mine, the engine keeps surging although the speed remains constant. Not relaxing at all.

I also cannot get used to the key position by the handbrake. It nearly caused me a lot of problems when asked by a customs man at Portsmouth to switch off the engine and step out of the car. I was fumbling around in the dark wondering why the ignition switch was not to the right of the steering wheel and he made a sarky comment to which I had to bite my tongue and explain that it was the only one of our four cars with the key in such a stupid place. 

I hate the cruise on mine, the engine keeps surging although the speed remains constant. Not relaxing at all.

I also cannot get used to the key position by the handbrake. It nearly caused me a lot of problems when asked by a customs man at Portsmouth to switch off the engine and step out of the car. I was fumbling around in the dark wondering why the ignition switch was not to the right of the steering wheel and he made a sarky comment to which I had to bite my tongue and explain that it was the only one of our four cars with the key in such a stupid place.

What engine does yours have?

Looks a decent set of rollers that......... I love the 93 I'm trolling about in. Still looking for a 2.3T manual estate that I can move into asap. I missed out on one a few weeks back, but one day n all that.

Hows the rear for configuration - if/when changing for larger loads/flat floor etc...?

60/40 spilt rear seat in the saloon, I'd assume the estate is similar.

I had a long trip planned today so last night I transferred all my gubbins from the Sharan to the Saab ready for an early start. I also swapped the battery over with the Sharan as a temporary measure as the Saab had taken a while to turn over when I last used it.

I filled up with diesel and then returned home. After shutting the driver's door I was surprised to see the door mirror glass drop on the floor and smash. It could have been the cold temperature but there was evidence of glue and bodging behind it so I think this may have happened before. Ordered some replacement glass, non heated to my dismay, and I will stick the new glass on with no more nails.

Roll on 7am this morning and the damn thing wouldn't start. It was -2 degrees, which probably didn't help, but aren't these things designed for this type of weather? Now I know the battery is good but it didn't take that long to flatten it. When installed in the Sharan that battery provides enough juice to start it within a split second but in the Saab it seemed to turn over too slowly to catch. So, I had to transfer all my stuff back over.

I've got it booked in the garage again later this week. An internet browse suggests starter motor, current drain, fuel return pipe, injectors, egr valve, glow plugs... Hopefully not all together though. Any ideas?

This relationship hasn't got off to the best of starts. Why do I buy cars that need loads of work doing? To add insult to injury I really enjoyed driving the Sharan again today and it coped admirably with the snowy conditions and returned a not too dismal 41mpg...

What engine does yours have?

Erm... its a 9.3 with a low pressure turbo eco. So I think that is a 2 litre. Can't remember and the paperwork is up 2 flights of stairs and the car is in the barn for the winter. Petrol engine with a gearbox for people with only two legs.

Erm... its a 9.3 with a low pressure turbo eco. So I think that is a 2 litre. Can't remember and the paperwork is up 2 flights of stairs and the car is in the barn for the winter. Petrol engine with a gearbox for people with only two legs.

I think they're a decent engine, 150bhp if I remember correctly, same as the diesel, and more reliable!

Any ideas?

Ignore the internet and use your own experience. Slow turning over? That points to starter motor and its connections. Is the glow plug light coming on? If so, how long for? My 93 with the same engine as your 95 has been buried in snow for the past few days and it started perfectly fine when I went to it tonight..

That JTD is a good engine. The main problem comes from people doing things on the cheap (like replacing the cam belt without doing the water pump) or not knowing (using 10-40 oil instead of what it should have). Yours will be fine when settled down.

For what it's worth and IMHO etc our Saab 9-5 estate is one of the best cars I have owned. It just keeps on doing what it should do, reliably. Petrol 2.3 lpt on 154k now. I just look after it and so far it looks after us.

I miss that car, really miss it. Out of everything I've ever owned it's the one I'd do all over again..post-62-0-26624400-1513015344_thumb.jpg