1983 Range Rover

Claphamrangie

It's a shame but it's just not getting used enough.

Anyone interested in my 1983 Range Rover 4-door auto? MOT'd yesterday. Looking for something around the £15k mark

Blurb below;

I bought this car in 2012 as a scruffy but solid and honest car and have upgraded its condition since.

The car is a silver 4 door auto, originally supplied with the factory 'A pack' options - metallic paint, wood door caps, rear head restraints, luggage bay carpeting and a blaupunkt radio cassette - but with standard Rostyle style wheels and no airconditioning.

At some point prior to my ownership, the car has been fitted with a replacement engine. Although I do not know for certain, the fact that it is painted in green hammerite suggests that it was an new surplus MOD unit. Talking to an owner previous to the one from whom I bought the car, the Chrysler Torqueflite gearbox has also been overhauled, although I have no documentation to support this.

Since buying the car, I have had the following work carried out;

Fitment of a new power steering rack

Full suspension re-build

Replacement of outer cills

Replacement of both rear door-shuts/wheel arches

Fitment of a new replacement headlining

Fitment of a good quality replacement roof panel (replacing the original butchered by a 1980s after-market pop-up sunroof)

Fabrication and fitment of new quarterlight frames

Full inspection of the chassis and body tub with any remedial work undertaken

Full cleaning, painting and waxoyling of the chassis and body tub

Fitment of a new OEM towing kit

Restoration of all bodywork including a full re-paint in the original colour

All work, except the power steering rack, has been carried out by Churchill 4x4, who have recently fully serviced the car and undertaken a number of minor maintenance tasks. The car is MOt'd until December of next year.

The interior of the car is complete, original and in good overall condition. The 'teddy bear' interior is complete and clean. There is a small 2 sq cm patch of carpet missing in the rear off side foot well and the timber door cappings would benefit from revarnishing

The body work remains in very good condition, having been refurbished three years ago, although there are a small number of localised blemishes here and there, this being a car that is neat, tidy and useable rather than a show-car.

For what it is worth, the current odometer reading is 23,948. The reason why I am selling is because, with a busy life and other classic cars, I am simply not finding the time to use it.

post-15749-0-04678800-1512822845_thumb.jpg

post-15749-0-05563300-1512822863_thumb.jpg

post-15749-0-27025800-1512822911_thumb.jpg

post-15749-0-85269400-1512822940_thumb.jpg

Looks smashing. Doubtless some smart arse will pop up to tell you it's:

a) Overpriced - invariably someone with absolutely no interest in acquiring it.

B) Not as good as you think it is, because they saw it outside the shops in Ottery St Mary 7 years, 3 months, 2 days and 5 hours ago, and they know what you paid for it back in the year 2000, here's a copy of the original advert I dug up from 17 years ago, blah blah blah.....

Selling cars on a forum is so annoying due to the above. There will be the odd exception to the rule, but cars above £2k max are generally out of reach to anybody on here. I have found that carandclassic is the best medium for selling cars - good luck!

Looks smashing. Doubtless some smart arse will pop up to tell you it's:

a) Overpriced - invariably someone with absolutely no interest in acquiring it.

B) Not as good as you think it is, because they saw it outside the shops in Ottery St Mary 7 years, 3 months, 2 days and 5 hours ago, and they know what you paid for it back in the year 2000, here's a copy of the original advert I dug up from 17 years ago, blah blah blah.....

Selling cars on a forum is so annoying due to the above. There will be the odd exception to the rule, but cars above £2k max are generally out of reach to anybody on here. I have found that carandclassic is the best medium for selling cars - good luck!

Hopefully not, we don't want or need anyone making comments about value etc as it'll just put people off selling stuff on here.

Hopefully not, we don't want or need anyone making comments about value etc as it'll just put people off selling stuff on here.

Always been my experience on here, I've tried selling a few bottom - end cars in good condition for a few hundred. I seriously don't mind if someone comes along to see the car, says it's not worth asking price, makes a lower offer. It's just always some dickhead who has no interest in it whatsoever, who posts on the thread "It's really not worth that is it though?". Like you say Cavcraft, it puts you right off - why make so much effort for a car that you only stand to get £100 over scrap value for?

^Agreed :-)

That's a lovely Rangie, but would probably sell better on car&classic than in here.

I don't disagree and, after Christmas,mi will get my shit together and advertise it there. I thought I'd stick it here though as I love the genuine enthusiast sentiment that exists here.

For that same reason, it won't be going anywhere near the self-pleasurists on PenisHeads....

I've sold a couple of cars via autoshite (only one of my own ones, though)... my mate's Fiesta went for less than scrap value, but it was worth saving & it's entirely in the spirit of this place to pass on a known good car to someone else on the forum rather than scrap it or have to deal with gumbay monkeys.

Ditto my LT camper. It went for a bargain price, but it was an easy transaction.

That's not to say a higher-value car WOULDN'T sell in here, of course. And by the look of it, that Rangie is a very tidy example. What engine does it have, btw?

13mpg?! I am stunned of SW4! What wizardry did you work?!

I had an Intercepter III at the same time that I could coax 13 mpg out of.

The combination of low compression Rover engine, Strombergs, body weight and the Torqueflite (as fitted to the Jensen too) did the early automatic Range Rovers no favours in fuel economy. But you don't buy a pre Efi Range rover for economy.

13mpg?! I am stunned of SW4! What wizardry did you work?!

Our 3.5 Schuler auto used to do about 12 or 14, if the engine wasn't utterly utterly shagged I would have expected better, fathers 4 door manual o/d has hit the heady heights of 19 (once) both on LPG obviously, normally better than 3 miles to the litre though.

Yours looks lovely! Good look with the sale.