VX Cavalier Pervert Self Help Group...

CreepingJesus

Knew a few folk like that at the time: we were young and wanted nice cars, but that did indeed come at a cost. I didn't bother so much myself, I could borrow something out of the back yard sometimes. Took me a few years to actually bother buying one of my own.

An uninteresting Nordic Blue Mk3 was the last actual cut'n'shut I saw. A guy who'd come to look at Cavs in the garage, found a cheaper one elsewhere. Much cheaper. Being as he lived round the corner from the garage, he put it in for a service and good check out. It wasn't even at the top of the ramp before the weld between the B pillars was spotted. Game over. Police called, car lifted. He'd owned it three days. He'd paid cash for it too, so he was rooked til payday, so we sorted him out with a PX Nissan Bluebird to tide him over.

post-3802-0-23887000-1512751498_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-08124200-1512753836_thumb.jpg

I'm a Cavalier fan. :-)  Here my 1993 L reg Cavalier 1.8i LS Hatch. Had this Car over 9 years [ 10 years next July ] and took it from 120,000 to nearly 199,000 and counting now! 

It was growing up in the 90's with friend's who parents had MK2/3 Cavaliers, and of course John Cleland racing the MK3 in the BTCC. Which has left alot of lasting good memories before I owned my own. 

This car hasn't disappointed and for me is more than the sum of it parts. I brought it at a bad time in my life for £250 and yes, I have spent in recent years a fair few quid to keep it on the road when most people would have given up. It far from a show car but It always been my daily. But this car has been there when everything else has gone to sh*t, it is everything I think Vauxhall set it out to be. A decent all rounder that can soak up the miles without fuss. 

Whether it been a long weekend away with mates, a holiday. Fetching a Punto gearbox for my brother twice. Towing a broken Astra Van. Moving my Sister house including pot plants sticking out through the sunroof. Or if I just needed to get away for a few hours or for a day myself on a drive somewhere. 

It does the lot without complaint. 

An the amount of people who have came up to me over the years, to chat about my Cavalier and talk about when they owned one etc has really surprised me as it not a SRI, or GSI either.  

I have thought that next year, I should sell it and try something else as there is other Cars I would like to own. The trouble is I'm not sure how they would stack up against the Cavalier? 

That last paragraph surprised me! I was reading that thinking it was just the very car for you. It does look nice (as does Rob's CD, I meant to say earlier) and quite honestly, I agree, it's a very good all rounder as a design. Pity they never did an estate, but with the hatch's boot, it doesn't matter so much. Otherwise it's just right.

That last paragraph surprised me! I was reading that thinking it was just the very car for you. It does look nice (as does Rob's CD, I meant to say earlier) and quite honestly, I agree, it's a very good all rounder as a design. Pity they never did an estate, but with the hatch's boot, it doesn't matter so much. Otherwise it's just right.

I agree it does fit me well, it a difficult one as I love my Cav and part of me wants to own it forever. Trouble is being into cars mean's there always other cars you want try or own, so as I can only afford one car. I'd have to sell one to buy one. Sadly the days of having 3/4 cars at the same time have gone for the foreseeable.

Though whether I'll actually sell it is another thing!

Thank's btw the Cavalier does look tidy for it age and I try my best to keep on top of everything. I've had to have some welding last year, and some about 4 years before that which in total was the usual sill's and rear arches. Not a perfect job like I wanted, but it does look ok with all the area's painted by a small spray shop.

It got a worn but better than my original interior from a late Sri fitted. The driver's seat has better adjustments [ height and lumber ] than what my LS originally came with but otherwise bar the GSI grille and Corsa D wheeltrims it a standard car. 

Glad I had the hatch over the saloon as the extra boot space has certainly been useful at times. Always thought the MK2 Cavalier Estate was a good design with the lower tailgate opening. I guess it was more cost effective at the time for Vauxhall to stick with a Hatch or Saloon option with the MK3, and have just the Astra range for the estate option. 

As a teenage yoof, Mk2 Cavaliers were everywhere. Of my car owning mates more than half had Cavaliers. I bought one when I was 19.

Among my mates Cavaliers were:

A beige 1.3L hatch with Bluebird alloys

A green 1.6GL hatch with the greenest green interior in the history of green things. Replaced by a beige SRi hatch.

A blue SRi saloon with BBS alloys

A white 1.6L hatch which belonged to the pilots mum.

A brand new red 1.6L saloon -the guys dad had a matching hatch.

A white Sri130 saloon whose owner removed the rear screen so he could jigsaw the rear shelf out for a custom MDF speaker shelf install. The resulting alarming lean on the rear wheels suggested this was not a good idea. Much panic jacking and welding ensued.

A 1.6L beige hatch that we bought from auction to sell on.

My 1.6GL saloon in JRG

They all seemed fast as anything to us and were relentlessly thrashed everywhere.

Also I worked in a spares place. We stocked everything for them. CV joints, cam kits, those HT leads with the springy metal ends, much much more than we kept for anything else.

I was the genius who, impressed with the sales of cam kits for the 1.6s engine ordered half a dozen cam kits for the later 16sv engine. Which didn't wear out cams at all.

They went in the skip after about 5 years on the shelf.

post-17414-0-06560600-1512773378_thumb.jpeg

ive driven a lot of Cavaliers, hire cars, company cars, ones I've bought to sell even the odd one I've owned or kept for Mrs N. Ive crashed a couple too.

The first was a 1600L estate that I t-boned a Hillman Hunter on a dual carriageway whilst I was doing about 90. The poor old Arrow practically split in half, I was so pissed off and worried about my job( the same day I'd put a conrod through the block in a S3 XJ6) that I forced the shell shocked 3rd party to sign a statement that it was 100% his fault!

The second was a brand new mk3 SRi that ended up backwards at high speed into some trees, that was re-shelled at 600 miles.

The red one in the picture was a 1990 2.0 GLi and had just replaced a 405 1.9GRi as my company car . It was faster in a straight line than the Pug , but the ride and handling was light years behind. I had a 1.9TZi estate BX after the Cavalier thinking it would tow my big old Bessecar better, it didn't so I had an SRi Cavalier which was probably the best towcar I ever had.

The Astra E estates (that were current when the Mark 2 Cavalier estates were launched) actually had 3 cubic feet more boot space than the Cavalier estate.

Vauxhall had previous form with somehow making smaller estates out of larger cars. In the mid-late 70s a Chevette estate had way more boot space than a Viva estate and almost as much as a VX.