Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Swedish Luxo-barge

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationHuddersfield, West Yorkshire

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

Earlier in the year, a friend and serial car hoarder was giving a run-down of his current fleet and mentioned he has a Volvo 960 he’d be prepared to sell. Being on the rebound from the crushing disappointment of owning that possessed Daihatsu Charade – I thought of no better way to get over it than replace it with a car three times the size, with twice the number of cylinders.

Anyway, many months passed with no movement from either of us, until the Sunday of the NEC show last month. I caught the train down to the NEC and managed to look through the doors in to the halls at all the nice shiny classics – and the seething masses within. That was as close as I got to the show proper as a drive back home to Huddersfield in the new 960 was calling…

Escaping the NEC before kicking out time made a wonderful change and I was soon wafting up the A42.

My previous experiences with ‘big’ cars were Rover 800s – neither top-spec or overly luxurious trim levels. So the Volvo is a bit of a change. It feels bigger, more substantial, better built (not hard, really!) and has the most kit and equipment of any ‘classic’ I’ve had before now. What is especially good about it is that all the electric goodies actually work. I doubt I’d have got that from a Rover Sterling!

Outside, it is in pretty good shape. The bumpers are scuffed on the corners as you would expect but the rest of it should polish up quite well. Inside, the beige interior is pretty horrid and news a deep clean and scrub to make habitable.

Attached Images

• Collection 12th Nov 2017.jpg

• Heidel_Kakao, wuvvum, chaseracer and 18 others like this

#2 OFFLINE   DSdriver

DSdriver

• Full Members
  • 3,367 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationLiving with a schizophrenic parrot

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

I don't know how well equipped the 940 that I have is compared to the 960 but compared to the Citroen XM it is a bit utilitarian. No dashboard gauge for engine oil level, no rain sensor delay on the wipers, no electric seat adjustment, no variable ride height, no climate control, no automatic adjustment of the passenger side door mirror for parking when you engage reverse, no outside temperature info, no fuel consumption info and no steering wheel buttons for radio. The only place it scores in the luxury stakes is the heated front seats. I can't think why I did the swap... oh yes, rugged reliability. :)

• Heidel_Kakao and chaseracer like this
JohnF said:
"I have to say, I don't really like the styling of Citroens.

But I just love the fact that they exist."

#3 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:02 PM

Despite driving very well indeed – it wasn’t to last. It was dark when I got home from the NEC, so it wasn’t until a trip out the next day that I noticed it had dropped oil everywhere. In such a quantity and such a distribution that I was somewhat confused. There were oil patches on the road having dripped from parts of the car that should have oil in or on them. Later on, I get the hosepipe on the car to give it a wash, and find a film of oil all up the bootlid, bumper and tail lights.

Off to Google I go, and find that blocked oil breathers are a ‘thing’ on Volvos and that is likely to be my problem. I check the oil level on the dip stick. Nothing there. It takes three-and-a-half litres to get back to where it should. So end of day two sees it confined to the driveway! Great.

By the end of the week, cars have been shuffled around and the Volvo is in the garage and over the pit. I’ve also been down to my local Volvo dealer for parts and was impressed to find all the bits of the breather system I need are available and the most expensive part was the new oil trap at just under thirty quid!

Looking under the car, everything is coated in oil and a multitude of little drips. What a mess! Still, good for rust proofing, I suppose. The current state of play is that the inlet manifold is removed, giving access to the breather system and oil trap. New ones to be attached later this week when time allows.

Enjoy some oily pictures…

Attached Images

• 4 Dec 17 (3).jpg
  • 4 Dec 17 (2).jpg
  • 4 Dec 17 (8).jpg
  • 4 Dec 17 (10).jpg

• Heidel_Kakao, danthecapriman, Skizzer and 8 others like this

#4 OFFLINE   DSdriver

DSdriver

• Full Members
  • 3,367 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationLiving with a schizophrenic parrot

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

Ah, there you go, the 940 doesn't have the automatic underseal option like the 960 and the XM :)

• Heidel_Kakao, HillmanImp, danthecapriman and 5 others like this
JohnF said:
"I have to say, I don't really like the styling of Citroens.

But I just love the fact that they exist."

#5 ONLINE   CreepingJesus

CreepingJesus

Rank Bajin

• Full Members
  • 3,579 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationHere Be Dragonnes

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

Oaft - a Volvo dealer that has bits for old cars in stock? I am impressed.
That does look nice though.
  • cpjitservices likes this

...as the actress said to the bishop.

Truck magazine scans!

Some short stories of mine...

#6 OFFLINE   egg

egg

Just another content provider

• Full Members
  • 3,387 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationDown the Bay, Kent

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

Love the brick, but more jealous of the pit!
  • Sheefag and DSdriver like this
1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 GLX , 2002 Ford Fusion 3 1.6 pez

#7 ONLINE   gadgetgricey

gadgetgricey

• Full Members
  • 1,019 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:45 PM

Not certain from the pics, but the bonnet does not look fully open.

I think from memory you can get the bonnet vertical, by pressing releases on the bonnet struts. (Possibly the red tabs)

Never owned a 960, but helped a neighbour work on his a few years ago.

Does help with access quite a bit.

Car looks lovely by the way.

Current fleet

75 CDT Auto Tourer

ZT-T Diesel Manual

LPG 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ

Saab 9-3 Convertible 

Saab 9-5 Aero

Focus 1.6 Auto

#8 OFFLINE   blguy1975

blguy1975

• Full Members
  • 227 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSalford

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:57 PM

Wowzers ,that looks bustin , Very nice indeed , Look great at some shows in 2018

Allegro has Vvroom for 5

#9 ONLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

• Full Members
  • 6,707 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationRoyston Vasey

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:31 AM

I think from memory you can get the bonnet vertical, by pressing releases on the bonnet struts. (Possibly the red tabs)

Never owned a 960, but helped a neighbour work on his a few years ago.

Car looks lovely by the way.

It will, the 740/940 does that.

As do Mercs of the period.

1987 Volvo 740 GLE

#10 OFFLINE   Heidel_Kakao

Heidel_Kakao

• Full Members
  • 1,054 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationBrierley Hill

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:20 AM

I don't know how well equipped the 940 that I have is compared to the 960 but compared to the Citroen XM it is a bit utilitarian. No dashboard gauge for engine oil level, no rain sensor delay on the wipers, no electric seat adjustment, no variable ride height, no climate control, no automatic adjustment of the passenger side door mirror for parking when you engage reverse, no outside temperature info, no fuel consumption info and no steering wheel buttons for radio. The only place it scores in the luxury stakes is the heated front seats. I can't think why I did the swap... oh yes, rugged reliability. :)

And Volvo wins for RWD action also. Nice 960 Austin-Rover though it won't surprise you hear me say it would be better as an estate :) I drove David's old red 960 estate at SF14 and it rode so much better with the IRS compared to the 940 with live rear axle.
  • DSdriver likes this
1969 Nissan Cedric estate
1990 Proton Aeroback 1.5 GLS
1993 VW Corrado VR6
1996 Citroen XM 2.0 Turbo VSX auto estate
1996 Citroen XM 2.5TD VSX manual estate

#11 OFFLINE   reb

reb

• Full Members
  • 337 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

I'm going to be doing the same job on the 850 soon, it's the same engine but missing a bit and sitting the wrong way in the car basically. Access on the 960 looks much better, should've got one of them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#12 OFFLINE   cpjitservices

cpjitservices

• Full Members
  • 1,175 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationThere's no place like 127.0.0.1

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:00 PM

It will, the 740/940 does that.

As do Mercs of the period.

I wonder if mine does it? 

Will have to check :)

Lovely car that - My next Volvo will be of 900 series variety!

Buy me a Coffee!

Jaguar S Type - 2005 - 3.0 SE

#13 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,213 posts
  • 32 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

I wonder if mine does it? 

Will have to check :)

Lovely car that - My next Volvo will be of 900 series variety!

They will.
On the old 700's there's a little catch on each hinge that can be rotated around to allow the hinge to open further and the bonnet to open vertical.

Nice 960 btw, looks lovely.
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#14 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Indeedy it does open up like that - but not pictured - the rafters supporting the attic which get in the way!

#15 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Love the brick, but more jealous of the pit!

Changes your outlook on shitty jobs like this one. I'd have found doing this on my back with the car on axle stands acceptable, once! :-D

• egg likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:33 PM

The new oil trap and pipework are fitted, so the breather system is back as it should be. The inlet manifold, injection rail and a million other bits and bobs are re-attached and it all works!

Next stop is an oil change and disassembly of the oil filer housing/mount as the seals on it leak. This will involve shoveing the back of the car out of the garage again, as otherwise you can't get in and out of the pit. This makes what should be a cosy working environment rather cold! :-(

Attached Images

• 2017-12-17 11.17.18.jpg
  • 2017-12-17 12.55.20.jpg

• danthecapriman, CreepingJesus, mercrocker and 6 others like this

#17 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

Over Christmas, the oil cooler/filer housing received its new seals. The engine oil was changed from the 0w30 put in at its last service (Volvo main dealer, no less) for the 10w40 that should be inside the engine. It runs fine - after all the disassembly - which is good! Hopefully, come the first road test it will remain leak-free.

Other work over Christmas was to fix some advisory items from the last MoT; corrosion was mentioned forward of the front wheels. This is the area behind and below the headlamps. It contains the battery on the offside and the washer bottle on the near side. Removing these and having a poke around revealed holes - so out came the welder. Once repaired and a bit of seam sealer slapped on to tidy things up, they were painted and coated in Waxoyl.

Next jobs are to change the gear box oil and give the brakes a going over.

Attached Images

• 2nd Jan 18 (3).jpg
  • 2nd Jan 18 (2).jpg
  • 2nd Jan 18 (1).jpg

• Barry Cade., danthecapriman, DVee8 and 3 others like this

#18 OFFLINE   SierraMikeHotel

SierraMikeHotel

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 41 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

Audioshite crossover post!

An old mate of mine is a regular on Audioshite and owns one of these.

I loved my old S40 but I'd have loved it a bit more if it had been an estate.

#19 OFFLINE   Squire_Dawson

Squire_Dawson

• Full Members
  • 1,705 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

Great stuff, will hopefully see it about before long. The photos of all the disassembly involved and component parts reminds me why modern cars scare me!

• mercrocker likes this

Squeak, rattle and roll.

Thanks restorer.

SAVE OUR PANGOLINS.

Current shite:

1952 Morris Oxford Series MO - Sidevalve Shite

1959 Morris Oxford Series IV Traveller - The Shite Station Wagon

1962 Morris 1000 Traveller - English Tudorbethan

1975 Austin Allegro 1100 DL - m'Lod

#20 OFFLINE   Essex V6

Essex V6

• Full Members
  • 449 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

Any more details on the Opporto Red Maestro that has photobombed one of your pics?

#21 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

Any more details on the Opporto Red Maestro that has photobombed one of your pics?

Slight thread deviation then;

It's a 1983 1.6HLS and has been off the road for about seven years. It's been stored on a farm - and would still be there now - but outstayed its welcome. It's not bad underneath, but requires the ends of the sills and the rear arches repairing/replacing for an MoT. The inside is lovely; with the quality Shetland Tweed trim, and the rather rare fibre-optic lit instruments with rev. counter (being the HLS).

Attached Images

• April 2011 (4).jpg

• danthecapriman, Skizzer, Heritage motor centre and 2 others like this

#22 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

Nearly there now! It won't be long until the Volvo is out of the garage and back on the road (without oil pissing everywhere I hope!). Remaining jobs are;

2x front brake hoses replacement

Brake fluid change

Gear box oil change

Satisfying jobs undertaken since the last update; I fitted a replacement telescopic antenna to the motorised aerial in the boot. This provided perhaps more satisfaction that it should, but watching it go up and down silently certainly adds a certain executive feel! :-D This evening I put the front end back together following welding/engine works. I had a set of new indicators to replace the sun-baked originals and put the new front number plate on. It's a reproduction of the tatty original that survived on the boot lid - finishing touches, and all that!

Attached Images

• 20180112_194859.jpg

• danthecapriman, privatewire, Skizzer and 5 others like this

#23 OFFLINE   Austin-Rover

Austin-Rover

• Full Members
  • 143 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM

The Volvo escaped the garage this evening, just in time for a few proving runs this weekend.

This afternoon ticked off the final jobs (for now). The main one was to change the gearbox oil, which included dropping the sump and cleaning the oil strainer inside. The ATF was bad - not the worst I've seen - but the clean, fresh, red ATF was nice to add after re-assembly.

There's a small handful of jobs to do at a later date. Non essential stuff really. At least the unscheduled month or so in the garage has allowed me to get the car back to a usable, running vehicle, plus get me ahead of where I would otherwise be maintenance-wise. Got to look for the positives, I suppose!

The windscreen wipers have a fault whereby they are always on intermittent. I suspect a knackered wiper stalk, so in the meantime I've rigged up a switch to save me pulling the fuse every time it stops raining!

Attached Images

• 19 Jan 18 (2).jpg
  • 19 Jan 18 (1).jpg

• Barry Cade., danthecapriman and Dirk Diggler like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users