Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ebay has a lot to answer for (W202 content)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   J-T

J-T

• Full Members
  • 218 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationWarrington

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:40 PM

I'd been half looking out for automatics under a grand on ebay for a while with the intention of convinving my OH to get rid of our very reliable but very dull 06 Corolla auto and get something cheaper (as these inexpicably still seem to bring a daft amount of money compared to maunal ones) and hopefully still reliable. The usual candidates were watched - accords, civics, avensis etc when my eye was turned by an immaculate looking W202 C Class. Just 2 owners from new, sport spec and juicy V6 engine. It really did look the biz in resale silver. Just 80k miles and not too far away! I placed my bid and went to bed to await my fate.

I woke up the next morning and within about 10 secs had that forboding rememberance of my bidding activity and with some trepidation, checked my phone. Guess what, I'd only bloody won it!!! Fantastic, thought I....oh wait....hang on...that's not....oh shit. You see dear readers, I had also placed a bid on this one...

38783757222_9755f4c92f_b.jpg

This advert did not speak at length about its wonderful condition. Infact it did not speak at length at all, giving a mileage, MOT expiry and something like 'good cond for age'. I also only had one picture to go off, it was in Droitwich 100 miles from me and it needed collecting by Sunday (this was Saturday). The lovely silver one I had also bid on went for £1275, whereas this one was mine for a rather more bargainous £680 on a 3 day auction. A quick phonecall to fatha J-T meant collection on Sunday was possible and a check of the MOT history revealed only a couple of fails in its lifetime on minor issues. Another phonecall to the seller proved that he sounded sane, so a plan was hatched to pick it up the following day.

The journey went without a hitch and the postcode took us to a very leafy area of Droitwich. The seller only gave me a postcode and told me to ring him 'when you get to the old people's home'. This I duly did (it really was in the middle of nowhere) from where he directed me to the START of his drive. We ended up parked outside a 9 bedroom house with its own 80 acre estate overlooking a private lake. At which point this thing came clattering out of a barn looking rather folorn with its wing mirror hanging off. First impressions were...omg this thing is hanging. But look past the grime and there is a nice car under there. I asked if I could have a quick drive & was handed the keys whilst my dad chewed his ear off about what fish he had in his lake. Well it drove bloody ace so I was definitely having it.

So what had I bought? Well, it turned out, a 1998 C250 Turbo Diesel in elegance spec (the posh one) with 122k miles that had only done around 3k over the last 3 years. Apparently our guy bought it when it was about 2 years old and kept it mint for a good 10 years or so. He then lent it to his friend for a few years "and he is not a small chap" which is where all the filth came from and the reason the driver's door card is mullered and the seat bolster is ripped. Must be where he leant on it getting in/out. Great I thought. "Does it have any paperwork with it?" I ask. "oh yes, the book pack is just in the glovebox I think, it's been very well serviced". Very well serviced turned out to be a full MB service history, stamped every 10k up to 112k (albeit 5 years ago!). Previous owner on the V5 is Lord something or other. At which point I threw the money at him - £20 of which he insisted on giving back so I could put some diesel in, told my dad to shutup about fish and got in the car before he changed his mind. It drove all the way back without a beat. Here it is in all its glory.

23949988597_840b79b684_b.jpg

27038665029_96a2e5d935_b.jpg

24942308208_518debf834_h.jpg

That last picture doesn't really convey how filthy it is inside. I have asked a man with a shampoo thing to come and clean it. I shall post the results in due course.

All this was last weekend. Since then I just haven't had chance to have a proper look at it. What I have found is: everything on it seems to work, it has 4 khumo tyres all with good tread, it needs a service, it looks like some/all of the leak off pipes are leaking, it needs a driver's wing mirror, the all important bonnet badge is missing, there's a small rust bleb on one front arch but other than that it seems to have escaped the rust rash most of these tend to have, it pulls to the left, the fuel gauge reads 1/4 full when it's empty.

I shall work through these issues in due course (wing mirror & bonnet badge have been ordered). If approval is not forthcoming, it may come to a raffle near you.

Anyone know if these will run on veg?

• Lord Sterling, The Moog, Shep Shepherd and 15 others like this

#2 OFFLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

• Full Members
  • 3,900 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationHuddersfield

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

90% sure these will run on veg, think it's indirect injection with a mechanical pump.

2004 Citroen C8 Exclusive HDi

Assorted 2 wheel shite, motor and pedal powered

#3 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 6,998 posts
  • 66 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

Lovely, now that's a WBOD!

#4 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 3,348 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:01 PM

itll scrub up well

END of the road for the  MONTURDO !! :-(  :-(  :-(  

Long live fozzie the Focus  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:   

#5 OFFLINE   mercrocker

mercrocker

Morris Major Elite

• Full Members
  • 5,970 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationNew Forest

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:32 AM

Well bought sir, looks a good 'un!   Grubby but had a good start in life is the way to buy Mercs.

1963 Morry Thou

1955 Cowley

1987 VW T25 Holdsworth

1990 190E

197? Portafold Caravan 

2000 Fiesta Zetec Ghia

#6 OFFLINE   Hertz

Hertz

• Full Members
  • 4,070 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationSandbach

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

Nice, when are you picking the other one up?

• The Reverend Bluejeans likes this

1994 Renault Alpine A610

2001 Volkswagen T4 Multivan

2004 BMW 645 CI

2015 Toyota Avensis Estate

#7 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

I blame Thatcher

• Full Members
  • 6,169 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationOn the bog reading Car Mechanics

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

W202 C250D's are great cars. Look after it (Waxoyl etc) and you'll get your money back next year.

Free motoring.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1999 S  E36 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

#8 OFFLINE   Lord Sterling

Lord Sterling

• Full Members
  • 6,688 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationNorth Worcestershire or İstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

...Previous owner on the V5 is Lord something or other...

I don't remember owning a C-Class Merc. I did have an E-Class once.
  • J-T, Heritage motor centre, mercrocker and 2 others like this
.31109980376_e6f01e6edd_o.jpg

▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░..AUTOSHITE; bringing misery and despair to the world of motoring..░▒▓█▄▀▄▀▄

سبحان الله

AUTOSHITES CRUMBLING EXECUSHITE LEAGUE...
'03 BMW 316i SE - ...Daily... :lol:
'97 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...It lives!...Sort of... :|
'95 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Broken... :(
'90 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Broken... :(
'87 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...Sitting... :neutral:
'87 Rover 820E auto - ...Garaged... :mrgreen:

...To get things done, You better not mess with Major Tom...

#9 OFFLINE   DaveDorson

DaveDorson

• Full Members
  • 494 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:46 AM

Lovely

#10 OFFLINE   barmatt

barmatt

• Full Members
  • 774 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationNorth Norfolk

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

I used to have a similar aged one of these in sport spec. I really liked it, a good comfy cruiser that could raise a little smile with circa 150hp and would return 40mpg on a run.

I never ran mine on veg, although I did think about it but the general consensus on MB forums was that they wouldn't like it in the long term. Something to do with them having saddle shaped fuel tanks and the veg sinking to the bottom and gumming it up. Not sure how true this is, I was happy running it on pump derv.

Enjoy it, they are a nice motor.

• J-T likes this

#11 OFFLINE   J-T

J-T

• Full Members
  • 218 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationWarrington

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

A man came to clean it yesterday...

38183840054_2ab89119f4_h.jpg

24034726267_b88f5053c8_h.jpg

24034727967_0577dd3bfb_h.jpg

It's come up quite well really. The mats are still a bit groggy but I can't really expect miracles. Cue several weeks of steamy windows whilst it dries out!

In other news, I've managed to completely take one of the rear doors out of action. I thought the child lock was playing up as it wouldn't open from outside but would open from inside (yes, I now realise this is the complete opposite of how a child lock would function but am stoopid). So I opened the door, moved the child lock switch and closed the door again. Well the child lock very much works, so now the door won't open from inside or outside, it's the outside handle that was the problem. Any suggestions on how to get this open without butchering the door card?

• Shep Shepherd, richardmorris and somewhatfoolish like this

#12 ONLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 2,704 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

Yours is nicer than mine. Sadreactsonly.

Nice stuff though. Well bought!

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  218k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  182k|   1994 Mercedes C180.  128k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users