1983 CZ 250 Twin Bikeshite-Now Gone!

Jerzy Woking

With the impeding delivery of my Aprilia I have little space in my crowded garage. And I realise I just don't have the time to sort out the CZ 250 I have had and barely touched.

I bought it so I could ride it down to see my mates in the Czech Republic two years ago, but being busy I had no time to do the few jobs it needed done (I used my 125 Yamaha scooter instead).

I bought it as a runner with MOT, but it leaked smoke from the exhaust gaskets. The owner had rebuilt it with new bearings and stuff (no proof of this, but from our discussions about it, I had no reason to doubt him).

Registered in 1983, its generally in good condition, with very good alloy engine casings and wheel rims, all of which will polish up nicely if that's your bag. Few of issues to sort

• Heads need tightening down as they leak, (but I got new head gaskets Included)
  • Leak at the barrel/exhaust joins (new gaskets included)
  • No key for the steering lock (can be drilled out so you don't lock it accidentally)
  • Had to break the seat lock to get the rusted seat off
  • Not 100% sure that the indicators work-simple wiring though.
  • Tank a little bit rusty inside, but this is Czech built, so the steel is good and thick.

On the plus side it comes with a good seat with decent base and cover. Fitted a really cheap 6v battery about 18 months ago that still has a charge in it. Tyres are good, brakes are bloody horrible, but that's how they were from new. 13,500 miles on the clock, but God only knows if that is right. Spares are easy to get hold of from Czech Republic, and are cheap. A steering and seat lock are about £4 each

I really would like it to go to someone on here, as I'd hate to stick it on ebay so open to offers -if no one buys it outright, maybe a roffle? Photos I took today will follow seem to be having trouble attaching them.

If memory serves correctly, the top bloke in the British Jawa/CZ OC rode to a factory anniversary of some sort in the early noughties, on a 70s Simson moped for a dare. From near Campbelltown. Took him a fortnight.

Last new one I saw, was one of the late 90s Aprilia ones, with the wee fairing and modern switches. It had the look of a grandad in a shell suit. Something not quite right there. Shame they didn't go down the same route as MuZ, because genuine vintage vibe would probably sell now.

Good luck with the sale! I'd be all over it, but I'd get my balls in a sling if I turned up with it...!

I went to the Jawa factory a couple of years ago - excellent collection of World Championship winning speedway bikes from the last few decades. Very knowledgeable staff there, very enthusiastic. Also saw the boxer twin they made (very similar to the BMW R45) but never knew they existed until that visit.

350's were normally lugging sidecars about...

Like this (available new, did I mention that?) - the one in the photo is the 'modern' styled 350, the Classic in my previous missive is also available with a chair.

JAWA_DART.jpg

Other images of the current Jawa range can be seen here - https://plus.google.com/105432066062740702941

• 2 weeks later...

Due to overstocking my bike fleet I've all but run out of space in my garage so something has to go AND SOON. The CZ is the one bike I bought for a particular reason which past two years ago, so in true AS style it will be sold for much less than I paid for it.

Anyone interested in this at £250? I would roffle it at £4 a ticket, but don't think there are enough bike enthusiast here to warrant a roffle, let alone finding the time to organise one. details of what fettling needed is above, but will (probably) start with a bit of fresh petroil (oh, how I've wanted to write that word).

Open to offers or swaps, but no cars (I've three already and I only actually need one).