Stanky's Geep - fire sale

Stanky

• 4 weeks later...

Just in the interests of closure - has the Geep now moved on pastures new with its fresh owner?

Because I'm a nosy glipe, was the project stymied as a road-going project due to IVA rules, or did life just happen and it needed to go?

None of my beeswax, I fully recognise, but I thoroughly enjoyed this ongoing thread and the Herculean efforts put in to make this little bathtub live again - all concerned should definitely accept some mighty pats on their collective back, regardless of the ultimate outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Byebye little soljah! off to pastures new today (which seems to be official shite redistribution day judging by others posts!)

post-5525-0-99658900-1526822823_thumb.jpg

It was rather reluctant to start, and we got almost to the point of giving up and pushing it onto the trailer, but it finally realised it was going to be going to a loving home and decided it would cooperate after all. Drove it up onto the trailer and it was stapped down for transportation to the abode of another shiter, who can reveal (or not) in due course.

The reason for sale was that I wasn't able to transport it anywhere myself due to having a post-97 licence, and the prospect of getting onto the queens highway legally was slim-to-none. My options were therefore:

1. Ring it and (knowing my luck) be the one person, ever, that the DVLA catch doing it and get sent to prison for a hundred years

2. use it for offroading, necessitating getting lessons, doing th test to get B+E entitlement on my licence, a trailer and a towbar, costing a minimum of £1200 I suspect. Then i have something I can use half a dozen times a year, when family duties allow, and which isn't really a very good tool for the job when I get there.

Option C was to pass it on to someone with more skills, knowledge and space to use it properly, and hopefully get it on the road legally, and put the £1200 I would have spent on option 2 towards buying something else thats a bit down-at-heel - but has been registered in the past - to work on at my leisure but with the prospect of being able to drive it on the road one day after securing an MOT.

I've got 2 kids, one who is 5 weeks old, so spanner time is very much limited by that currently - its not off the table forever, but now is probaby not the time to 'pop out to fettle the Geep for a couple of hours, dear'. Boring? Yes. Realistic? Yes, also. Any this time, that wins.

I enjoyed bringing it back from the brink and turning it into a functioning vehicle with the prospect of a future, albeit with a new custodian. I learned a lot along the way which hopefully can be put to use with the next project, whatever that turns out to be, and I've not ended up divorced or imprisoned (yet) as a result.

fin.