Cheap (sub £1500) van req’d

Kiltox

I need a Transit SWB size van for sub £1500 (ideally sub £1000) that isn’t a complete crock of shit

I’m seeing people asking £2k for 2002 Transits with a lick of test that either had a major weld fest a few years ago (so probably need so again) or that haven’t had one yet (so it’s coming). WTF?? £3k for a local 2004 Vivaro with 130k

Not arsed about cosmetics or mileage but it needs to run well, be roadworthy and be tested for 6+ months ideally.

Also needs to be fit for long motorway journeys - as tempting as the LDV Cub I found was.

I'm getting rid of my transit. It's an 02 mwb t280 90. Just passed its mot. Rough as hell and the locks need fettling. Only the back door unlocks so you have to climb in and unlock the driver's door from the inside. New tyres including winter on the back. I paid 650 for it with short test so with full test and £300 worth of new tyres I was hoping to get 800.

Pics and more info if interested.

I'm getting rid of my transit. It's an 02 mwb t280 90. Just passed its mot. Rough as hell and the locks need fettling. Only the back door unlocks so you have to climb in and unlock the driver's door from the inside. New tyres including winter on the back. I paid 650 for it with short test so with full test and £300 worth of new tyres I was hoping to get 800.

Pics and more info if interested.

Only on here would someone spend £650 for a van, mot it and put £300 worth of tyres on it then want £800 for it  :mrgreen:

Vans at less than a couple of grand are minefields. People sack vans off usually when they are causing a problem, i know when I had them, they were on their last legs before we sacked them off, literally weeks from imploding. It’s a tool of the trade, a joiner wouldn’t chuck a saw out till it was blunt, often he views the van with the same perspective. De fleeted ex RAC stuff can be ok, at least it’s had same driver, not been run round the clock on shift work with a variety of drivers.

The ones I used to use did 120k in 3-4 years, but it was hard multi drop work, probably on 2 or 3 clutches and DMFs by then, at auction they’d usually see £2-3000 but they were fucked. Also they were rotten even then, some that made it to 5 years wanted welding in the sills due to being refrigerated the insulation inside the panels effectively rotted them out a bit quicker. Servicing was infrequent as it cost money for it to be off the road, we’d mend minor damage on site than it be off the road. You get the picture. A 15 year old one won’t have aged like a fine wine.

http://autoshite.com/topic/27855-value-my-van/?do=findComment&comment=1207155

Nothing much has changed, now has mot until next July, about an extra 2000 miles added.

Bonus, water pump has stopped leaking since pressed into every day use, taxed to get you home.

£350 as is, or £300 minus roof rack, no offers.

You need relay/boxer/ducato. they're galvanised so are pretty rust proof.

LOL.

Sevel vans are stealth rusters. The outer panels usually survive pretty well but inner sills / outriggers / crossmembers rot like buggery. You rarely see one that looks rough from the outside, I'll give them that (apart from blue ones which the paint falls off).

Master / Movano are a better bet from the tinworm perspective.