Rover 75 (Yes, Again)

BorniteIdentity

I really should have a drive of a 75 to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I'd like them , it happened with Binis, X5s and Cayennes and I hated all of those with a passion I've never managed to muster for the 75.

My Rover history includes a P5 3 Litre, many SD1s and even a KV6 Sterling. I've driven thousands of miles in 200s (SD3&R8) 400s,600s and 800s as company cars.

During the late 80's early 90's I worked with John Towers' wife and on dropping her home one night in an XM , he came out to have a look and said something like " The new 800 is going to ride better than these"

What he didn't say is that it would be the size of a 600, the price of an 800 and look like it was designed by Mitsouka!

I've harboured desires for a ZT 260 like any normal person , but what I'd really like is a rwd auto LWB estate with a 3.0 BMW diesel. Then I could get excited about Personal Line piping and black sills like all you other pervs.

Interesting comment from John Towers!

Before I had a 75 I looked forwards to the ride SO much, but during my ownership I've not found them as brilliant as everyone raves. I've replaced whole suspensions to try and make them 'as new' to get them to ride as I expected they would - but always been disappointed.

That is until I have bought my latest car which is a Volvo V70 in SE spec. This is supposed to be the comfort option, and it's definitely comfy inside but BLOODY HELL THE RIDE. Turns out the road surfaces which I thought were utterly smooth aren't at all!

Driving my KV6 75 on 15 inch wheels feels like a proper treat now!

How people deal with these modern Audi's with no suspension on a daily basis is beyond me.

post-19618-0-74374700-1511936288_thumb.jpg

post-19618-0-14354000-1511936322_thumb.jpg

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710260667049?model=75&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=ROVER&radius=1500&postcode=sg193au&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&page=3

The more I think about it, the more I probably could.  Things properly and completely fuck me off when they stop working in a car - which could and would never happen in this.

IPK?  What IPK?!1!

Never seen a black one tbh.

The 75 suits most colours tbh; I certainly can't remember thinking "holy moly that looks shite".  I just have personal favourites.  There's a black one always parked opposite Watford FC's Vicarage Road on a private number plate.  Looks alright! The only bummer is they tend to also have black interiors, so it's a bit dark.

post-19618-0-85569500-1511945100_thumb.jpg

Get yourself to MK as long as you don't mind silver and auto

s-l1600.jpg

£375 long ticket but ABS light on which may need some troubleshooting (usually an iffy sensor but can result in wheel bearing switch in worse case scenario - they all do that sir)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-51-Rover-75-2-5-V6-Hi-Line-Nav-auto-Connoisseur-SE/192379906988?hash=item2ccabc6bac:g:r6EAAOSwquVaDDoI

I've just been looking at that Flat White. I don't think I could pay a grand for it, but it's a cracking find. Looks mint, and should have maximum project drive cheapskatery built in to its bottom-of-the-range spec!! I reckon that's the 21st century buttery biscuit base. I would love it!!

Interesting comment from John Towers!

Before I had a 75 I looked forwards to the ride SO much, but during my ownership I've not found them as brilliant as everyone raves. I've replaced whole suspensions to try and make them 'as new' to get them to ride as I expected they would - but always been disappointed.

That is until I have bought my latest car which is a Volvo V70 in SE spec. This is supposed to be the comfort option, and it's definitely comfy inside but BLOODY HELL THE RIDE. Turns out the road surfaces which I thought were utterly smooth aren't at all!

Driving my KV6 75 on 15 inch wheels feels like a proper treat now!

How people deal with these modern Audi's with no suspension on a daily basis is beyond me.

Ride is all relative. When I got my V70, earlier this year, the ride was a revalation after years of Mercs and BMW with sporty* suspension and 40 profile tyres.

Already gone! I was in the process of asking for a lift!!

The white and black one above are both talking to me, but I don’t think either would be long termers. Having had a v6, they really are superb - and return over 32mpg mixed!!

The white and black one above are both talking to me, but I don’t think either would be long termers. Having had a v6, they really are superb - and return over 32mpg mixed!!

As you have an affinity with BASE models, you need to be looking only at post-Project Drivers and especially the facelifters. Unlikely to find one with a six though, more likely a cab-rank spec derv.  Is there a reason why you don't want a derv that can be chipped to 160bhp?  I suppose you already know that engine is a found in a BMW 5-series, turned 90° and Roverised for FWD action

Is it a car or a bottle of wine?!

I’m not sure a ZT is very me, but thanks nonetheless. Much appreciated!

Not sure if its what youre looking for, but im preparing to part with my 04 ZT mk2 auto. CDTi BMW diesel, 98k, almost FSH, 18"s, full years test, new tyres, witter towbar, good nick. Message me if it floats your boat, im near Glasgow. Had it years and just getting itchy feet.

Advert fail. By law, any 75 diesel for sale advert must make reference to the BMW engine being BULLETPROOF, M9