What

Tamworthbay

Can anyone suggest a cheap car wax which ain't shit or mega bucks?

Theres wax and then there is sealant which is cheaper. For the latter, Meguairs do a decent one for about 8 quid. Autoglym also do a High Gloss Protection for around tje same. Its like water and is very easy to use however the paint will only bead for a few weeks.

In the main, actual wax is more expensive and increases in price as the %of wax in the solution increases.

Just waxing the car is a bit pointless tbh other than a quick shine. Polish on the other hand will actually clean the contaminants from the paint and really brighten it up. Autoglym super resin polish is a great budget buy, gests most of the shite out of the paint. You could then round off the job nicely with the sealant once youve buffed out the polish.

Battery chargers.   Predictably the Silverline bought for me for Xmas three years ago has now shit itself.   Refusing to switch between boost/trickle.  

I didn't think it would live much longer than a fairground goldfish.  

Any recommendations?   I want a simple old school charger for topping up 12Vs  which can also throw some lumpy current into a leisure battery.   Not looking for smart type - just one with an ammeter that you can keep an eye on yourself....    

Hi Guys,

Had some birthday money burning a whole in my pocket, so decided to buy one of those compact jump starters. A quick browse through amazon found this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073RCLKVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought that it was a bargain at £46.99, and if you add some more stuff to get the bill to over £50, and use the code BIGTHANKS at the checkout, then you get £10 off. Code only works for today though.

Cheers

Fraser

Heading down to the local indie fast-fit in the morning to get Mrs DC's Yaris a new set of boots. Now, three years ago I had a set of Avons fitted to this vehicle which rapidly started to develop some fairly spectacular sidewall cracking, much to my surprise and consternation. I gathered from the lively discussions on these fair pages that I was far from the only poor sod to experience such a thing. In fact, it's the deterioration of the sidewalls that's leading me to shell out for a new set, as there's still tons of tread left. I won't be purchasing Avon again.

Obviously I'd prefer the best tyre I can get without leaving myself impoverished, as despite being a legendarily stingy bastard I nevertheless don't much like the idea of my wife hammering up and down the wet motorway on ShongKee Slidemasters. Continental and Pirelli come in near the £70 mark each, which is a bit more than I'd like to pay, but browsing their available tyre list I can see that they're knocking out Michelin Energy XM2 hoops at £46.14 a pop, which is a mere fiver more than their budget HiFly Super 2000 death rings.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on the Michelin XM2 before I go ahead? This tyre place (Magowan Tyres) does often do pretty good deals on certain brands; possibly these Michelins are just their current promotion. I just don't want to get bilked again with a substandard tyre that's not as good as hoped.

Heading down to the local indie fast-fit in the morning to get Mrs DC's Yaris a new set of boots. Now, three years ago I had a set of Avons fitted to this vehicle which rapidly started to develop some fairly spectacular sidewall cracking, much to my surprise and consternation. I gathered from the lively discussions on these fair pages that I was far from the only poor sod to experience such a thing. In fact, it's the deterioration of the sidewalls that's leading me to shell out for a new set, as there's still tons of tread left. I won't be purchasing Avon again.

Obviously I'd prefer the best tyre I can get without leaving myself impoverished, as despite being a legendarily stingy bastard I nevertheless don't much like the idea of my wife hammering up and down the wet motorway on ShongKee Slidemasters. Continental and Pirelli come in near the £70 mark each, which is a bit more than I'd like to pay, but browsing their available tyre list I can see that they're knocking out Michelin Energy XM2 hoops at £46.14 a pop, which is a mere fiver more than their budget HiFly Super 2000 death rings.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on the Michelin XM2 before I go ahead? This tyre place (Magowan Tyres) does often do pretty good deals on certain brands; possibly these Michelins are just their current promotion. I just don't want to get bilked again with a substandard tyre that's not as good as hoped.

Have you had a good moan at Avon? That cracking starting soon after purchase suggests a problem to me - maybe they had a defective batch?

^^^ I initially spoke to the fast-fit, and while sympathetic they could only pass me on to Avon due to the length of time they'd been fitted.

Avon eventually got back to me with a load of flannel about blah blah UV light degradation blah blah cleaning chemicals etc (like I ever put tyre shine on any cars)... because I'm not driving this car I didn't realise how bad they'd become until after they'd been on a year - and checking the Avons on my Laguna revealed similar cracking starting, though not quite as badly. I think there was a bit of a thread on here with people suffering similar woes, so likely that it was indeed a defective batch. There was a lot of other stuff going on with us at the time so I didn't follow up as strongly as I probably should have done.

Since I clock up a reasonable mileage the Laguna tyres were changed before they'd got too dreadful, but since the Yaris has only done about 15k since 2014 there's bags of tread left (the rears look barely worn) but the cracks are quite alarming. I mean, the MOT tester didn't mention anything but I'm still not happy with the look of them, and when I did the brake fluid change the other week it reminded me that I should get 'em changed.

Goodyears are about £15 more each than the Michelins, and Falken don't seem to be offered by Magowan's, so I'm going with the Michelins. ATS closed their Northern Ireland branches a number of years back and Kwik-Fit are miles away, so there's not as much choice locally - but Magowan are pretty good. £185-odd probably isn't too bad for four Michelins with all valves/balancing/disposal included.

Cheers for the advice! Will let you know how I get on!

Thinking on swapping cars now I am slightly more "back on my feet". Stuck for ideas though at the moment. Probably not normal shite affair that I'm after, but would welcome any suggestions...

Current thinking is small / mid size, Japanese, a bit of sporting character, £1k max. Open to other cars which don't necessarily meet all criteria. Needs to be presentable for the most part as I need to drive it to client sites occasionally.

Only things floating my goat at the moment are Toyota Starlet SR, or Suzuki Ignis sport, but I've also been keeping an eye on MG ZS / ZR and various Alfa's. Considered and dismissed the "quick" Toyota Yaris'.

Any suggestions?

olliecar1.jpg

DOG NOT INCLUDED. E&OE EXEMPT. 

Massive burn outs till they're knackered for a bit of fun before the change?

Heh, not entirely sure there's much hooning to be had in a Yaris 1.0 with twitchy ABS... Michelins were fitted a-ok, car seems a fair bit smoother and quieter in general, and deffo feels a lot more sure-footed braking in the wet. Lotsa frost and ice this week, so kinda glad I didn't delay any longer.

post-17915-0-29126500-1518180156_thumb.jpg

I have a ctek 5 something or other that I use on my Mk2. I can’t get to the battery when it’s in the garage so I actually charge it through the towing electric socket which has a pin wired directly to the battery anyway.

I don’t leave it connected full time though because I’m always concerned about the picture above happening.

To add though, if you are thinking about leaving it connected full time I’d definitely recommend getting an 'intelligent' charger. I left a battery hooked up to a conventional charger in my garage for a few weeks once, when I finally went back it had split in half. No dramatic fires or anything but not ideal (would have been even less ideal if it had been fitted in a car at the time)

the towing electric socket which has a pin wired directly to the battery

Through a lowish-amperage fuse one hopes? This is the sort of wiring that causes fires!

The only vehicle fire I have ever had to deal with was caused by a short on an unfused lead from the battery. A car battery has more than enough power in it to start a really rather big fire!

I use a dash top solar panel plugged into fag lighter socket and cars have always started after months of non-activity, car parked outside.  This type of thing

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/solar-powered-12v-15w-battery-auto-trickle-charger-l58bf?cmpid=ppc:flash_deals:pla:google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw5qhl8iZ2QIViLvtCh3hTw4AEAQYAyABEgKZsvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds