Wolseley needs new home.*bran find* not Focus, KA,Corsa, Vibrator

D Spares & Tyres

This week's update...

Took the wing back off to finish the welding. ( I only put it back on and primed the corner because I was bored of welding and wanted to see some fresh paint )

I made a bump stop mountpost-19511-0-80674200-1529569807_thumb.jpg but I think I have cocked up and made it too far down. The old one was too rotten to measure properly but also with the box section i put in the wing, that isn't quite to factory dimensions either!

So I painted the front panel. Loosely placed some chrome in the holes to give it a face again!post-19511-0-44531100-1529569984_thumb.jpg

So, it's just paintwork left to do on the panels now. NO MORE WELDING!! (Bound to be a small bit somewhere that I've missed, I'm not that naive)

Is it just me or does it look prettier without a bumper? With one it looks a bit catfishy I reckon

Welding up a ratty old Talbot Express

I think you got away very lightly with the amount of rot there. If you want to make a bit more cash from your neighbour, have a poke at the sills and the floor between the sills and the "chassis" rails. Also check the rear damper top mount stiffener brackets. I'm not sure what the arrangement is on the coachbuilt camper vans, but if it's anything like the panel van arrangement, it will be more rot than metal.

Good work on the wobsley. The finished article is beginning to look brilliant. No-one except the concours brigade care about exact originality when it's a choice between fabricating for the next thousand years, or just driving and enjoying the vehicle.

Guest Hooli

This week's update...

Took the wing back off to finish the welding. ( I only put it back on and primed the corner because I was bored of welding and wanted to see some fresh paint )

I made a bump stop mountattachicon.gifIMG_20180620_151127.jpg but I think I have cocked up and made it too far down. The old one was too rotten to measure properly but also with the box section i put in the wing, that isn't quite to factory dimensions either!

So I painted the front panel. Loosely placed some chrome in the holes to give it a face again!attachicon.gifIMG_20180620_164458.jpg

So, it's just paintwork left to do on the panels now. NO MORE WELDING!! (Bound to be a small bit somewhere that I've missed, I'm not that naive)

Is it just me or does it look prettier without a bumper? With one it looks a bit catfishy I reckon

I hope you've keep the original water in that headlight!

I think you got away very lightly with the amount of rot there. If you want to make a bit more cash from your neighbour, have a poke at the sills and the floor between the sills and the "chassis" rails. Also check the rear damper top mount stiffener brackets. I'm not sure what the arrangement is on the coachbuilt camper vans, but if it's anything like the panel van arrangement, it will be more rot than metal.

I've not been under the back of the Talbot but I'm guessing this one is built on a chassis cab rather than a panel van. The cab is remarkably solid from what I have seenpost-19511-0-82830900-1529590136_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for a new windscreen to arrive then it can go. I've no wish so do more welding at the moment! ( so I've bought a Rover with holes in )

this one is built on a chassis cab one rather than a panel van. The cab is remarkably solid from what I have seen

It does look remarkably tidy. Most of the Mk1 cabs are really rotten by now. Has this one got the astonishingly-vague gearchange associated with RHD vehicles too? If so, there's a single phozzy-bronze bush in the top of the box that can be changed to completely* restore the linkage back to new.

It does look remarkably tidy. Most of the Mk1 cabs are really rotten by now. Has this one got the astonishingly-vague gearchange associated with RHD vehicles too? If so, there's a single phozzy-bronze bush in the top of the box that can be changed to completely* restore the linkage back to new.

Seems ok for one of these. It's only done 48,000 miles. Pushrod petrol engined so should last indefinately!

Seems ok for one of these. It's only done 48,000 miles. Pushrod petrol engined so should last indefinately!

Talbot Expresses (all IIRC) - one of the engine mounts contributes significantly to keeping the gear lever within operating range. There is something about filling some gearboxes higher than the original mark. The 2l petrol is the same as in 2l Peugeot 504s but FWD, actual size 1971cc.

Primer!post-19511-0-30896900-1530032108_thumb.jpg

I thought the rear wing was fine but there are some suspicious looking bubbles down here in the corner behind the rear wheel... Doesn't look too bad on the photo but it's those kind of big bubbles that mean there is filler down there. Fair play though, it must be a pretty old bodge, I've had it five years I think and there were no fresh bits of paint on it then!post-19511-0-03761700-1530032179_thumb.jpg

I'll attack it tomorrow but it's probably going to be a MIG job... So much for no more welding!

Talbot Expresses (all IIRC) - one of the engine mounts contributes significantly to keeping the gear lever within operating range.

Without thread-forking too much, yes, you're right.. The engine mountings are one of a contributary set of issues with the gear linkage on these. The combination of soft engine mounts (or in many cases, delaminated ones) a ridiculously over-complex linkage and a poor design of a bell-crank arrangement on the gearbox which munches it's way through certain bushes means a positive gearchange in these is really very rare.

The LHD arrangement was massively better.

• 2 weeks later...

Paintwork done! (Well, externally anyway. Engine bay needs doing)post-19511-0-39005800-1531399292_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-89846100-1531399308_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-55954000-1531399325_thumb.jpg

Next job I suppose ought to be fixing the exhaust pipe. It was fine when I got it but in my haste to get it off the trailer i caught the exhaust on the trailer...post-19511-0-33185600-1531399428_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-17907700-1531399456_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-50308500-1531399477_thumb.jpg

I have put the front part back on for now. Mainly to keep the noise down when moving it. The original strap that would have held it was brokenpost-19511-0-03052600-1531399584_thumb.jpg

It was quicker and easier to replace it with a more modern set uppost-19511-0-80580500-1531399639_thumb.jpg

As much as I am enjoying seeing this car come back to life, it isn't what I want in my garage. I must remember that I am doing this to sell it and get my Renault 16 inside. That is what I want to keep long term, I already have a very nice 1950s car on the road, I don't need two.

So...

If anybody here wants it then let me know. Currently what is it worth? £1500? I shall carry on doing it up so the price will gradually up. I'm not willing to subject myself to the general public though, just you miscreants.

• 2 months later...

Haven't done much to this for a while. Now the welding is finished I thought I would turn to the interior.

The original one is filthy, tatty and beige post-19511-0-30008600-1537562854_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-77203500-1537562880_thumb.jpg

So a couple of years ago I drove down to Cornwall and bought another, far better one. It still needs repair but its better than the previous onepost-19511-0-72643200-1537563130_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Are you matching the big grille insert to the nostrils leaving the shell chrome?  That might look okay with the rest.  Nice find on the interior.

No, the centre inserts are stainless steel. Don't want to paint them. The interior is out of a MK2. Have just realised it has a totally different front seat frame design. Not sure yet if that is going to be an issue or not

I have done a few bits on the Woleseley lately but nothing much worth mentioning.

Thought I ought to have a look at the headlining. Have cleaned it the best I can but it still looks horrible. It needs to be replaced ideally but I'm not going to bother for now. I have a bodge in mind...post-19511-0-09884400-1539805597_thumb.jpg

First i sprayed with the adhesion spray then this aerosol of Plastikote that I have had for years. No idea where it came frompost-19511-0-58883700-1539805693_thumb.jpg

But I know where it's going...post-19511-0-70657700-1539805728_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look great yet but it takes a while to dry. It's better than it was anyway.