Ford Fiesta MK5 1.25 Zetec Overheating advice.

Burnside

You asked for views & advice.

You got it.

Why complain?

Yes I did, and I did say I appreciate that everyone is entitled to share there own opinion. But if you read my post's I've made already so far, my point is that if I spend more than say 50p on it. Then It not worth the bother? How that helpful to me and other people when you get comments to that effect?

It something that I've seen before on AS and other forums which I think isn't constructive, but that's just my opinion.

If the car were to be kept yes I would encourage fixing it, you should see some of the heaps I have repaired partly due to sentimentality and partly the hassle of buying another!

You said you wanted to fix it to sell on though and that doesn't seem worth the bother from both a financial and emotional angle. Why waste time and money fixing a car of very low value that will be hard to sell and is bound to attract penniless mouth breathers?

I have done cars up to sell them just to save them from being scrapped but what's the point when the next owner will just throw it away for a minor fault? I'm not going down that route again.

I understand what you're all saying but heres my worthless shopping car designed only to last a few years. It's needed things worth more than it in the past changed and been welded. Should I have scrapped it?

attachicon.gifIMG_20171123_152302.jpg

Tbh it's all. About prospective. You as an owner or a car have to make a decision as to what and when any work gets done and how much it costs in both time and labour.

Yes it can be a never ending circle of repairs. Might be the same on the car you potentially replace it with might not be. At the end of the day no matter what anyone says only one person can decide.

Ahh but those ones can be fun to drive, ford managed to improve that out of festas in later versions.

Burnside, on 23 Nov 2017 - 6:39 PM, said:

Yes I did, and I did say I appreciate that everyone is entitled to share there own opinion. But if you read my post's I've made already so far, my point is that if I spend more than say 50p on it. Then It not worth the bother? How that helpful to me and other people when you get comments to that effect?

It something that I've seen before on AS and other forums which I think isn't constructive, but that's just my opinion.

No, you're entirely missing the point.

I can guarantee you'd have got a different set of responses if you'd said "I know it's worthless but I'm deeply attached to the car & will hopefully improve my knowledge by fixing it up", rather than you were just planning to MOT it and sell it on. In the latter case, the advice you were given was sound.

Anyway, from YOUR response to the advice you were given it's clear you've already made your mind up to spend time & money on the car, so best of luck with it & let us know how you got on.

No, you're entirely missing the point.

I can guarantee you'd have got a different set of responses if you'd said "I know it's worthless but I'm deeply attached to the car & will hopefully improve my knowledge by fixing it up", rather than you were just planning to MOT it and sell it on. In the latter case, the advice you were given was sound.

Anyway, from YOUR response to the advice you were given it's clear you've already made your mind up to spend time & money on the car, so best of luck with it & let us know how you got on.

Well you keep wielding your keyboard like it's excalibur then, with the hero talk and I'll get back to wasting my time on old cars. An then I remember in future not to darken your door and the like minded folk with asking for sensible advice or discussion about cars on a car forum? 

I had said if you look it 50 /50 if we were keeping the car as my Dad is unsure of his plans, beside the fact I'm asking about a 2001 Fiesta on Autoshite. Which although not a rare or expensive Car value wise granted. Is what I thought to be worthy of some constructive advice on this Forum.

Not comments to the effect of it's just and old Fiesta, isn't that the point? An as I have said already if it needs a massive amount of expense then yes, chances our I may not bother. But to get replies straight away not to even bother etc to me and others how is this helpful?

Or am I being unreasonable? 

Bypass the heater valve so heater hose go straight into heater, or just pull the guts out. Whip the belt and water pump off and inspect the pump. If it's shagged fit a new one. If it's alright, refit with a new belt. Pull the guts out of the stat and refill with tap water just to see if it behaves. If it does a)leave the bastard with tap water in or B) fit a new stat and a'freeze.

Last resort but one - 30 quid bottle of steel seal. Last resort is the big steel plate where items of metallic composition are weighed to determine their value.

These were great cars when new, albeit 20 years ago now.

If the car were to be kept yes I would encourage fixing it, you should see some of the heaps I have repaired partly due to sentimentality and partly the hassle of buying another!

You said you wanted to fix it to sell on though and that doesn't seem worth the bother from both a financial and emotional angle. Why waste time and money fixing a car of very low value that will be hard to sell and is bound to attract penniless mouth breathers?

I have done cars up to sell them just to save them from being scrapped but what's the point when the next owner will just throw it away for a minor fault? I'm not going down that route again.

'Saving' cars is a fools errand. I used to do it. Now I just the see the bottom line and profit, and sentimentality be damned.

But if this Fester can be saved for 60 quid in bits and a weekend's swearing before being used again by the OP?

If you can cobble it back on the road with cheap bits and bits from the scrapper AND you enjoy doing it then it’s cheaper than sitting in the pub.

If you are going to the trouble of taking the stat apart I wouldn’t leave it any length of time with tap water in this time of year. Even if it’s shit Poundland antifreeze, stick some in other than if you are testing if it cooks it’s bollocks.

Sometimes cars cost money. My daily is probably worth £800 now, will potentially need four tyres for the MOT and the cambelt is due next month. Repairs and bits will be approximately two thirds of the value of the car. And there's no guarantee something else isn't wrong with it as there is now an odd creak at the back. Loose seat? Broken spring? Bush? Hard to tell. But I know the cars history and how it has been treated as I owned it from new.

It sounds like the Fiesta needs potentially a hundred or less in parts, and hopefully that will give the car another year or two of reliable motoring. I'd say get it fixed, better the devil you know and all that. And if the car is in decent solid condition, that's got to be worth something. Being popular means pretty much any independent mechanic would have done the work a hundred times before so costs should be OK if you can't do anything yourself.

If the car was rusty, untidy, and the last MOT had fifty advisories, I'd probably suggest looking for something else but from what you have said, your example sounds like a decent one.

Well you keep wielding your keyboard like it's excalibur then, with the hero talk and I'll get back to wasting my time on old cars. An then I remember in future not to darken your door and the like minded folk with asking for sensible advice or discussion about cars on a car forum? 

I had said if you look it 50 /50 if we were keeping the car as my Dad is unsure of his plans, beside the fact I'm asking about a 2001 Fiesta on Autoshite. Which although not a rare or expensive Car value wise granted. Is what I thought to be worthy of some constructive advice on this Forum.

Not comments to the effect of it's just and old Fiesta, isn't that the point? An as I have said already if it needs a massive amount of expense then yes, chances our I may not bother. But to get replies straight away not to even bother etc to me and others how is this helpful?

Or am I being unreasonable? 

Yep, you're being unreasonable :-)

I might have been blunt in what I said above, but it's advice based on recently selling a tidy running Fiesta with some MOT and a recent cambelt - it took quite a while to sell it for £80.

And importantly, I didn't insult you - I even wished you good luck & asked you to let us know how you got on. So much for 'keyboard warrior / hero talk'.

Yep, you're being unreasonable :-)

That's ok I'll still sleep at night. An no that right you didn't insult me. You only previously said:

It's a worthless car that's fucked, it doesn't seem sensible to spend time & money on it.

Which would be all well and good if you had actually seen the Car in the Metal first or asked me on it's overall condition etc?

But as you seam to know it all. I'll await further instructions.  :-D

That's ok I'll still sleep at night. An no that right you didn't insult me. You only previously said:

Which would be all well and good if you had actually seen the Car in the Metal first or asked me on it's overall condition etc?

But as you seam to know it all. I'll await further instructions.  :-D

Oh right, you didn't tell us it had a cooling circuit problem and needed at least a cambelt then, and that you intended to sell it rather than keep it? Silly me.

Added to ignore.

Credit I suppose to you for mending it. Doesn’t take much to sack a car off these days, gave the grave diagnosis Thursday on an Astra DTi, oil pump was fucked, by the time you’d messed about swapping that most can’t be bothered given you can get something else that’s got no immediate issues for fuck all. Goes to the breakers tomorrow.

The owners have gone and bought a lovely 09 Astra Estate for a grand. Runs like a dream, nobody in the right mind would fuck about putting the old one right especially given you don’t know the damage it’s done to the bottom end.

Thank's for the offer, if you could let me know the part numbers either here or by PM. So I can check for fitment as there might be more than one type, plus how much posted that would be great. 

Cheers.

Water pump is CDWP10 and QH belt kit is QBK264.

£30 plus post? So say £35.

Cheers