Another boring number plate question...

garycox

Does anybody know of anywhere that can make the old style reflective plates with a metal back and black plastic characters? My Mini has the original plate in this style on the back but a horrible new style one on the front.If not, do you think it would be possible to get a few of these plates (with the right digits on, obviously) and make my own by swapping the characters over?Cheers

I made an old style black and silver one for my Sprite caravan by doing just that. I painted it black and the letters silver. There are quite a few styles of plastic letter though. I had dozens of old plates but only just managed to scratch together enough matching letters to do the one plate. I re-used an old plate by taping over the front of the holes and using Araldite on the back after which I removed the tape and filled the front of the holes with a bit of body filler. As I was just painting my plate it had to be a fairly good job but you can buy the reflective yellow vinyl off ebay and using that would cover up much better. To mark the new holes I lined all the letters up on the plate carefully first then one by one, lifted them and put a dab of paint on the pegs before carefully placing it back down briefly. I managed to re-use some of the clips but you can also melt the ends of the pegs on the back of the plate with a hot screwdriver to keep them on. Here's mine...

Posted Image

That looks top notch, I think you can still buy the reflective metal plates with the bevelled edges, I cant remember where I've seen them recently, possibly in a trailer spares place.

That looks pretty good, I might give it a go if I can acquire the relevant parts.Does anybody have any of these plates lying around that they don't need? Obviously I need 1 actual plate, preferably white but I would probably recover it anyway, and I need to make PGX540W. I presume the 0 would be the same as an O? Black letters would be ideal but I can repaint if necessary.

You can still get these, but I can't for the life of me remember where. Have you not fancied the pressed black and silver then?

Had 24 hrs in which the refurb the caravan and get it roadworthy (and show worthy) after it had been sat in storage for 22 years hence I had to make my own plate. I was going to replace it with a pressed one later but I kind of like the way it looks. You rarely see the black and silver plates with seperate letters on old cars now so it's a bit different.Trailer places certainly used to sell the blank plates but only yellow ones obviously. The place I used to work in certainly did. Unfortunately for me there are no trailer companys near me.

You can still get these, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

If they do front ones (and you remember!) I'd be very interested.

Have you not fancied the pressed black and silver then?

Was that aimed at me? If so, NO I have not! They would look awful (and be illegal) on a brown W reg Mini HL.

That's OK, sorry re-reading my post there I might have sounded a bit angry! Only joking :lol: Just to clarify, I need a black on white reflective front plate, with the detachable plastic characters to match the rear plate. Thanks!

:shock: ALMOST there (Bevelled edges like Ratdat's would be perfect), but I think that's as close as I'll get with a new one. I'll see how much they are, and whether anyone offers me an old plate and a load of letters first! Thanks for the link :D Also, the plate above it on the site, 'pressed reflective aluminium' is PUX 510X, isn't that Hirst's Galant?!

'Framptons' - in Waterlooville (near Portsmouth) or 'Tippers' -near Southend-although I've not seen their adverts recently.Steve, at Framptons can make ANY plateup -but it does cost. Tippers (used?) to make some lovely plates up-but the price made my eyes water

Not for the''nice'' stuff-no.Pressed steel is about £18 apair off Ebay- a sound bloke in Liverpool is who I use.I do have humungous numbers of old plates- and several boxs of digits-so like Ratdat-right now I'd build my own.Pays yer money-takes yer choice..