Any shiters in or near Blackpool?

Schaefft

As the title says, I'm looking for someone in the Blackpool area who'd be willing to have a look at a car for me sometime this week. You'd have the pleasure* to check out one of the most controversial BMWs ever built, with benchmark setting German engineering (and highly questionable dependability). It might also be a total POS.

That would be great. I'll see if I can get some more info out of the seller. If it all checks out and insurance won't kill me for even considering it we can figure out what day might be best. Just a warning, considering the nature of the car it's probably fucked (but with long MOT).

Definitely not the easiest car to own, but then again what is in my list? On the plus side the MOT history looks decent and it has 10 months left. The owner says its in great condition mechanically, but something tells me that this isn't the most accurate statement. The plan is to drive it until next September and get rid of it again, its cheap enough to not lose any money unless something catastrophic is going to happen (which granted is a possibility for one of of those). If Im not mistaken I am entering unknown Autoshite territory here. Just imagine all the things we can learn from this!

I will send you all the details once the seller actually gets on the phone. Basically: Any lights on the dash (or not when they are supposed to be on), fluids (low coolant, power steering, oil?). These engines are known to burn oil because of brittle valve stem seals, so blue clouds of smoke when starting up the car I guess. They often lose coolant in between the cylinder banks (that would be really tricky to diagnose though) and apparently lose power steering fluid that drips on the alternator. Apart from that, does it sound/run/shift/drive normally? The basics really. Anything obvious that could kill the car in the next 10 months. ;-)