Live Collection of Unsaleable car.

BorniteIdentity

If anyone's serious, then please drop me a message.  Twice bitten, thrice shy - when the money's in my hand, the car's gone and I've then got a pink Audi 80 sat outside - I'll believe it.

There seems to be a bit of interest in the Audi Avant - but I can't really do anything on it until this one's out of the way.  It's a delicate ecosystem (!)

Possibly you're right.  It's sunny again, I could do them again with the clear lenses I guess.  But then the wheel trims are also incorrect (they came on the flying saucers) and the L plate makes it look like a 1993 rather than a 1994.

It's proving incredibly popular with our Nigerian friends here in the UK.  All completely up front about exporting it.  Fair enough.  But I'm pretty sure it's £300 quid fodder for them, and that's fair enough too if it's their business model.

Hang on in there. There must be a buyer for this out there.Have you thought of just putting a for sale sign on it and parking it?

It’s right out of the way where It’s parked. So on the one hand a bit safer but very little passing traffic.

Sorry to dominate the pages with this thing. It’ll be gone soon enough one way or another.

Really is beautiful this and for me brings back a lot of memories as I had a C180 Elegance in black as my first car at college (N420 CUD) back when everyone was driving Puntos, Saxos, fiestas and the like. I worked extremely hard to have that car (bear in mind the cost of insurance for a 17 year old on one of these as their first car!)

My plan is to have another eventually but where I live makes taking on anything else at the moment impossible.

In my opinion, the 190 wheel trims don’t suit it and I would be trying to source a set of original trims as it looks very clean. Would pay it justice to have it completely standard - just like the ones mine had...don’t add the chrome arch trims though....struth I don’t care what car you own I have ALWAYS thought that looks naff!

post-24460-0-09402100-1516193027_thumb.jpeg

Thanks mate. That’s very, very generous. Fortunately, we have a buyer now and pick up is soon.

In fact, I could have sold it three times today but the buyer is the right one, and I’ve wasted enough time on this now. It’s been lovely, and I will miss it, but it doesn’t really have a place.

The Audi will be the next one to get the gravel photo shoot.

All this talk of incorrect indicator lenses and wheel trims - I honestly don't think 99% of the £500 car buying public would notice and of the percentage that would (most of which are probably on here) would it actually stop you buying a car?

Glad it's ending well for you anyway, it's a nice motor.

All this talk of incorrect indicator lenses and wheel trims - I honestly don't think 99% of the £500 car buying public would notice and of the percentage that would (most of which are probably on here) would it actually stop you buying a car?

Glad it's ending well for you anyway, it's a nice motor.

It will never cease to amaze how anal people can get over the cheapest of cars....again I could tell many a story!

Glad you got it sold :)

It will never cease to amaze how anal people can get over the cheapest of cars....again I could tell many a story!

Glad you got it sold :)

The problem with a £500 car, is it attracts people with a £500 budget.

Actually, that's a lie, it attracts people who think they have a £500 budget, when in reality, it's a lot less so they'll try anything at all to get it as close to free as possible.

Thanks mate. That’s very, very generous. Fortunately, we have a buyer now and pick up is soon.

In fact, I could have sold it three times today but the buyer is the right one, and I’ve wasted enough time on this now. It’s been lovely, and I will miss it, but it doesn’t really have a place.

The Audi will be the next one to get the gravel photo shoot.

I look forward to the photo's.

If I wasn't knee deep in cars and distracted by pressing matters outside of my shite eco system enough to remove some of them, I'd have had it just as a high days and holidays roller while I sort the bigger mercs out, as I reckon it'll soon climb in value (as they all seem to after you sell them eh?).

The problem with a £500 car, is it attracts people with a £500 budget.

Actually, that's a lie, it attracts people who think they have a £500 budget, when in reality, it's a lot less so they'll try anything at all to get it as close to free as possible.

You are absolutely spot on....couldn’t be more right

Nobody serious about buying that car gives a fuck what colour the lenses are. I guarantee you that. My questions in my head would be "will this see 6-12 months out without major expense".

As soon as somebody cones to look at a car and they start quibbling over mind numbingly boring queries about what spec a £500 car is, I know then I've got a timewaster. Your ideal purchaser turns up on time, doesn't act odd, wants a drive, has £500 in his back burner and can make a prompt timely decision. The problem is a lot with just £500 to spend cannot actually afford a car full stop, they're just there for the day out on the off chance they can get it for 25p.

Nobody serious about buying that car gives a fuck what colour the lenses are. I guarantee you that. My questions in my head would be "will this see 6-12 months out without major expense".

As soon as somebody cones to look at a car and they start quibbling over mind numbingly boring queries about what spec a £500 car is, I know then I've got a timewaster. Your ideal purchaser turns up on time, doesn't act odd, wants a drive, has £500 in his back burner and can make a prompt timely decision. The problem is a lot with just £500 to spend cannot actually afford a car full stop, they're just there for the day out on the off chance they can get it for 25p.

That's exactly right! I will never loose my irritation over the guy from Halifax who turned up unannounced to view my £120 Rover R8 advertised as spares. he claimed to be a "Friend of somebody from Halifax whats on Autoshite" No amount of rewording my question to very basic and easy to understand terms persuaded him to tell me who this mate on Autoshite was, nor how he had found out where I lived. Anyways, my instincts were that he was basically ok, just a bit lacking, so I agreed to show him the car. Big mistake! After enduring an hour of him going through the thing with a fine toothed comb (nearly all the teeth being broken), and tiring of his ridiculous questions re "Service history" (wtf?), I asked him to make up his mind. Guess what?

"Well based on what I've seen, I'm going to leave this, because there are better examples out there."

"Well of course there are, it's £120 and advertised as spares!"

"Sorry, but you've wasted my time, I've come all this way and really I should ask you for petrol money back!"

"Whaaat? I never even invited you to come and see it, you just turned up!"

"You seriously need to learn some respect!"

And with that he was thankfully gone! Either it was his  idea of a day out, or someone on here was playing a practical joke on me.....

I saw this pop up on Facebook. Did a bit of an internet stalk on the non Autoshite you and saved the sexiest pictures to my hard drive for perusal later when the wife's not home*

*Pictures of the Sierra base etc

If it’s the video of me giving birth, I apologise unreservedly.

The biggest ball-ache I ever had selling a car was a 1986 Fiesta 1.1 that spectacularly failed its MOT on massive corrosion. The engine was perfect through with only 40k genuine miles and it had a mint Ghia interior, so I thought it may be some use to someone. I bucked it in the Friday Ad with an honest appraisal of its MOT failures and calling it a spares car only, just needing it gone - for the princely sum of *fifty quid* .

Took about thirty calls in two hours - "Can you deliver it to Southampton?" Erm, no. "Is it taxed and MOTd?" No it isn't, as stated quite clearly in the ad. "Can you keep it for me until I get back to Brighton in February?" Since this is early December, no. "Would you take the £50 in Shop4All vouchers?" Fuck. Right. Off.

The only person to actually bother their arse calling over (two hours after he said he'd show, and with two strangely silent friends in a Transit) spent an hour closely examining it, prodding it, test driving it up and down the street several times (even though I'd demonstrated how totally rotten the shell was by poking my finger right through the crusty wing), stroking his chin and making phone calls to various persons unknown, before making a "firm offer" of £40. Eager to get my life back, I accepted.

On the way up the stairs to the flat to fill in the V5, he asked whether the rear seat belts were ok, as he'd just remembered he had to look after the kiddies at the weekend. Slightly agog at his presumption he'd be driving it anywhere anytime soon, I told him there were no rear seatbelts fitted (ex-Guernsey car, so seemingly not quite UK spec). He immediately threw a paddy, finger-pointing, accusing me of wasting his time and endangering his precious children etc etc.

I ended up letting him take it away for £30. I've never been so tired in my life. I should have just taken it down to the metal recyclers at Shoreham docks and let them feed it into their giant cheesegrater.

[as previously posted on the 'Shite You Most Regret Weighing In' thread, as one I wished I had weighed in, but I think it bears repeating for all of us who have had to deal with the absolute bottom of the automotive sales barrel.] 

Note also that when I bought this Fezzer out of Auto Trader nearly three years before (as an MOT failure for £120), I'd called the seller from work at lunchtime and agreed a mutually convenient post tea-time viewing for the car. I showed up at 7 as arranged, drove it slowly round the block (yes, it was somewhat fucked but then I wasn't expecting much for the price and knew I could easily sort the non-functional brakes and raggy arches) and returned to the seller with cash in pocket to pay the full asking price.

Arriving back, I noticed another Fiesta parked outside, filthy and with what seemed like thirty people packed into it. There was a ding-dong argument in progress on the driveway, with another putative buyer roaring and shouting at my vendor. Apparently, he had phoned about the car after I'd already arranged a viewing, and despite this being made clear to him, he had driven down straight away from Belfast (along with the rest of the street, seemingly). However, he managed to get himself lost in the warren of streets around Towerview and so wasn't able to nip in ahead of me, and was now in a terrible rage about it, since I had 'stolen' 'his' car.

I think the vendor (a fairly mild-mannered chap in his 50s) ended up having to give him a substantial wodge of my purchase cash as 'petrol money' just to get him to go away. I received quite a lot of abuse and veiled threats too. All over the head of a cheapo lilac Fiesta.

Some of these stories are truly horrific. I may have paid more for my 190, but at sale time it’s a different market entirely that you’re dealing with. As long as you buy at the bottom of the curve, rather than the bottom of the market, you can hope to deal with a better class of clientele.

It’s certainly made me think hard about going in ‘two footed’ on cheap cars any more. Unless there’s a solid AS buyer waiting in line, I think I’m going to stay out of it.