Live Collection of Unsaleable car.

BorniteIdentity

Good luck. That's a nice colour. That non-classic Merc prices are so low is good and bad. My 260E 1990 was £22,100 new. That was the price of a small house then. All these are crazy cheap now. Buy now while stocks last - older Mercs are great.

Deffo, if this is £500 then my later and far sheddier one (cracked screen, coolant loss, suspiciously wierd front end panel gaps etc) must be worth all of 50p. Yet they are simple, usable, capable and as a serial Mercedes owner (r107, w201, w126, w140, w124 etc) I can confirm there's still plenty of old merc DNA running through it, and at a fraction of the price.

post-4673-0-15015300-1515427273_thumb.jpg

My w202 shed after almost missing my ferry yesterday.

Glwts, bargain IMO

Had someone offer me £300 today. Less because my fees would be cheaper that way. I told him it didn’t quite work that way (to that extent) and he told me he was right as he’s been on eBay for 15 years.

I top trumped him by 2 years, reminded him he should therefore know how an auction worked and told him to bid.

I honestly LOLd.

Was same price new as 924S Porsche,  £13,500 more than an Opel Manta GTE,  and £5,000 more than a Citroen CX GTi - all of which probably sell for more these days if good. 

Could be a better deal than any of the above once you take historic price changes and inflation into account. What was the 1994 sum worth in the year that the Porsche 924S was new? If the Porsche's new OTR price was,. say £17k in 1986, that would possibly be equivalent to about £25k in 1994.

Today's values for a CX GTi (non-turbo) are a bit hard to gauge - there aren't many left on the road and they aren't quite as sought-after as their turbocharged sisters. I've only had mine since October last, and what I paid for it was some way past the stage where cars reach rock-bottom/Autoshite values but, at the other extreme end, a dealer who has the only other GTi on sale wants about £13k for it.

David Coulthard once said: "If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all".  

I'm not sure who said "Cheap cars attract cheap people" - but that also resonates right now.

I sold the w202 on ebay.  Sorry, I should say "sold" the w202 on ebay.  The eastern european guy immediately asked for my telephone number to arrange collection.  However, he apparently can't insure it as a classic as "my car is only 1994 not 1993" as first thought.  Fair enough (I mean, it's not - but whatever).  But he found this out at 10am, and it took until I called him at 1:15pm to extract this information from him.

I'm at my wits end with it.  It's a lovely, lovely car - in perfect working order.  But I need the insurance and tax 'space' to bring this Audi 80 on to fleet.  If the Audi didn't need two tyres and a temp sender, I'd just weight this in - but I really do need some money.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?!!  I mean - I thought I knew a bit about this lark, but clearly not.  Does it need to be an HMC giveaway at £150 to even attract someone to kick the tyres?  Is a perfectly good road-going bit of MB engineering really only fit for the fire brigade to use for "jaws of life" practice?  I drove it back to back against my w201 yesterday and, in reality, it's better in every way.  Better ergonomics, better driving position, nicer cabin blah blah.

Fuck it.

How much actually is this car? 

Then at least I know how far out my piggy bank is... 

Well, the ebay auction genuinely got to £620 with proper bidders.  I had it advertised before at £595 and was messed around by some dude at £500.  I'm not being a twat (I hope) but I can't see how it's not worth £500.  If it had 3 months MOT on it then fair enough (although I'd just put another one on).  Seems a bit silly to pay £50 for another MOT when it's highly, highly unlikely it'll need anything at all.

You've had a right mess around with this........ I did 'like' the 250td I smoked around in until farmer deposited mud had me sliding into a rather large curb and trashing the front end. At the moment I'm boxing myself in with a Lada and Bike purchase....... really REALLY need an estate to complete the fleet. The Audi IS an estate right? ;-)

The Audi IS an estate right? ;-)

It is, and it's bloody good.  Alf892 took it for an MOT and got under it at the same time.  It's spotless - not even surface rust - brake pipes good as new.  With that in mind, I should probably keep it on myself.  Without being a pump, it's a prime example of a car being undervalued.  But if I can't get shot of this w202, then it'll be for sale and Alf and I will just split the money.

AutoTrader: Almost anything sub £500 gets snapped up on there, and when it comes to responses whilst the quantity might not be the same as eBay, the quality is miles above it.

Autotrader or Gumtree.  ebay is now full of utter twats when it comes to anything at all.  I've been trying to sell a couple of android phones for about a month now, and every single time the winner is 0 feedback rated and then suddenly dissappears off radar.  I've had my final value fee returned to me so many times now it's just not funny.

This really should make £500 with ease.

Sorry to hear. Ditto Ebay. What cars I have sold on went for absolute rock bottom prices - I only see it as a way to sell stuff I really want to get rid and not worrying about money back. We are talking £2-300. But on the other hand I have bought some great stuff on Ebay. I got an Aga cooker for £20. But for selling cars just to much messing about. Bought a few cheap cars. My '90 Mercedes 260E with 89,000 and one previous owner was £500 so cake cuts both ways.

I have to admit - I've had some great ebay tat and for cracking prices (see above 250TD for £400 with full ticket) so must be one of the 'weirdos' that bid and buy.... my location has been more the undoing as a lot don't like the look of ex-pat abroad once the bid is in - prior contact or not.

Any idea on a figure for the Audi if/when you do come to sell it?

I sold a car before Christmas, firstly got fucked around by someone from here (though the sale was not through here it was through the blue forum) so I stuck it on ebay, 7 day auction, no reserve.  Some last minute bidder won it but he had fairly decent feedback and when I looked him up he was a company director of some description.  No contact for about 2 weeks, finally messages me to say he's busy in the run up to Christmas but intends to complete the sale, sends £100 deposit asks that I be patient.  This is Mid November.

December 22nd he makes contact again, quite candid about the fact he has no money but would still like to go through with it (yeah, lots of things I want too but don't have the money for) I said well i'm not likely to do anything with it over the xmas holidays, but as far as i'm concerned its now back up for sale - oh and by the way, that £100 deposit - non-refundable.  He was fairly accepting of this.

Then out of the blue one of the non-winning bidders from the original auction makes contact asking whether it sold - I said no, he came and collected last Friday.

I had put off selling cars for years because I expected it to be a nightmare, dogged by time wasters and cunts, and it was every bit as problematic as I predicted.

Can I make a couple of suggestions? 

I haven't seen your ebay advert, but based on the photos on thread, three things would put me off coming to view if I saw it on Autotrader:

1) No interior shots - "Has the guy had an Alligator chewing the seats, and am I wasting my time even coming to view the car?

2) Coat hanger ariel - "Sticks out like a sore thumb; I never even look for an ariel in photos of cars, and if this is the level of bodgery on an outwardly spotless car, then what horrors lie on the unseen inside?"

3) The photos have seemingly been taken in a business park - all sorts of questions spring to mind there. It wouldn't be a total no, but I'd be more inclined to ring after a car pictured on someone's drive, photographed in a layby / car park etc. Oh, and the fact you've got it parked on double yellows somehow gives a slightly negative sub-conscious  first impression of the seller.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for one minute suggesting your car is crap or that you're an irredeemable knob for parking on double yellows :lol:

I'm just providing some honest feedback as a fairly typical, clueless prospective buyer. It would take 15 mins to put right and take a new set of photos, and I think it would attract a different sort of buyer....

Yep-  Autoshite all the way for selling sub 1k motors. I even sell them cheap because I don't want the hassle you're receiving right now. 

Another problem, while I believe it's worth £500, looking on ebay etc you can pick up a 54 plate clio etc for the same money -  completely different car I know but the mentality of people looking at a cheap car is newer = better. 

I reckon a roffel would sell out by Friday and the *lucky winner would be collecting this beauty Monday. 

I'll take a random @ £ 8 or 9 quid.