The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

Thanks, thanks a fuckin' lot!

Instead of looking at RX400Hs or Q5s for MrsN's next car , that's convinced me I can't live without a 3.6 V8 Rangie, I hope your spare room is big enough for a family of 6, 2 dogs and a cat, because bankruptcy and homelessness are the only logical outcome for someone who's not a millionaire farmer and ex-publishing mogul.

WCPGW?

This one is running and driving though so worst case it could be repaired

I may have found a bare engine for £100 out of an X5 , guy has really good feedback but it's in deepest darkest norfolk but has done 160k , seems genuine enough as he's been selling bits off it for weeks on ebay

I have a job to Leicester leaving about 2pm but it adds 150 miles on to go and get it and i'm not sure I can be arsed, there's one 50 miles away for £280 ono with a few less miles and still has an alternator and fuel pump on as well as the loom and whatnot

Spoke to steve and he said get it because if it's a knackered valve the parts will be more than that, decisions decisions

£280

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-E39-3-E46-X5-E53-7-E38-3-0D-ENGINE-M57-306D1-NEAR-COMPLETE-AS-PICS-138K/263281694684?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

£100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-e39-e46-530d-engine-x5-3-0d-m57d30/172977924441?hash=item284649a959:g:EmQAAOSwhDRZ4dQj

Having had a quick look on eBay cheap 530Ds have all done over 200k and they're not that cheap , it'd have to be the lowest power engine in any case as the LR Ecu could throw a wobbly as the injectors and Turbo are different on later cars, plus if I found a cheap one it'd be miles away and I'd have to tax and insure it to drive it

Ive been .told all the blocks and heads are the same , it's the bolt on bits that change the power so chances are all the original parts will need to go on the new block anyway .

I've done a deal on the Engine £200 collected so I think it's worth the risk

Amused is what I'm going for

It's at steves garage in Blackburn but not without an incident

First impressions from Steve , I'd have bought it , good enough for me , I went down to Oswestry to pick the engine up , the guy had a toy lift truck that got it to within a foot of the height of the bed on the transit then he looked at me , yeah that's not happening, so he went and found somebody with a forklift

RR arrived at steves on a trailer towed by a sprinter , as the guy backed it in the yard the wheel bearing collapsed and the wheel fell off the trailer, talk about dodged a bullet , apparently the guy went back towing a 3 wheeled trailer

I've been involved in haulage for 25 years, towing 3.5t trailers for 20 of those , never in a million years would I have towed a 3 wheel trailer , especially when I had a transporter I could winch it on to

Sorry still no pictures , hailstorm so I didn't hang around

I'm starting to think this car is going to be drama all the way

Having had a quick look on eBay cheap 530Ds have all done over 200k and they're not that cheap , it'd have to be the lowest power engine in any case as the LR Ecu could throw a wobbly as the injectors and Turbo are different on later cars, plus if I found a cheap one it'd be miles away and I'd have to tax and insure it to drive it

Ive been .told all the blocks and heads are the same , it's the bolt on bits that change the power so chances are all the original parts will need to go on the new block anyway .

I've done a deal on the Engine £200 collected so I think it's worth the risk

After driving all the way to South Wales to pick up a head for my e61 530d ( ebayer kept fucking about sending it and the car was on a mates ramp) after a broken cam chain incident, I can categorically tell you that all heads and blocks are NOT the same!

Mine apparentlly had an F10 type engine with hollow cams or some such bollocks, but there are different types of blocks and heads depending on model and output, in the end I sold it on eBay Spears or Reapers, last seen on an overloaded Transit beaver tail en-route to Lithuania.

It can't be worse than XJ to XK , that was just block and heads , everything else had to be swapped including all 4 cams , according to a few guys on FF RR the bore and stroke is the same but the new engine is 5kw more powerful , they seem to think that's because they didn't want the RR to be as powerful as the X5 much like they did with the rover 25 when they owned it , why build a car that out competes you own product.

Best thing to do is have both engines on a bench and compare them so that's the plan , so far opinion is the 5kw extra is Ecu , the sump may be different as the RR has baffles to stop oil starvation at high angles and the BMW has swirl flaps so the inlet manifold will need to be changed over.

I'm going to try and be there as much as possible while Steve is doing it so I can document what's been done in case it helps anyone else but that may not work out if working gets in the way

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvJCCoLoKRA

[fingers in ears] Can't hear you la la la la[/fingers in ears]

Noted thanks , this one is out of a 2002 and is definitely only 5kw more than the LR version , the LR only ever got the low power version so I'm informed , at £200 for a complete bar the turbo engine I was prepared to risk it , if it doesn't work out I'll look for another option

Blimey some progress, just rang Steve the mechanic and he's got the old engine out and is 1/2 way through swapping bits over, he wants to get the new one in before close of play tonight so he can close the doors saturday at lunch and concentrate on getting it running without any interruptions,  opinion on the LR forums was that it's the same engine just BMW ran the X5 version with a different map so as not to be supplying an engine with the same power to a rival competitor so he's going to try it with the BMW fuel pump and injectors but swap inlet manifolds as the BMW may have swirl flaps which we don't want .

Had a good look round it , needs 4 tyres pretty soon which will be 40% of the purchase price of the car so I might look for some 20" wheels with decent tyres on , not sure yet , both indicators/sidelights on the front as one is broken and one has a crack and a piece of trim around the drivers seat

I'm also going to have to youtube how to clean a cream leather interior

Still no pictures but I'm going up saturday as long as there's not a foot of snow between now and then

Blimey some progress, just rang Steve the mechanic and he's got the old engine out and is 1/2 way through swapping bits over, he wants to get the new one in before close of play tonight so he can close the doors saturday at lunch and concentrate on getting it running without any interruptions,  opinion on the LR forums was that it's the same engine just BMW ran the X5 version with a different map so as not to be supplying an engine with the same power to a rival competitor so he's going to try it with the BMW fuel pump and injectors but swap inlet manifolds as the BMW may have swirl flaps which we don't want .

Had a good look round it , needs 4 tyres pretty soon which will be 40% of the purchase price of the car so I might look for some 20" wheels with decent tyres on , not sure yet , both indicators/sidelights on the front as one is broken and one has a crack and a piece of trim around the drivers seat

I'm also going to have to youtube how to clean a cream leather interior

Still no pictures but I'm going up saturday as long as there's not a foot of snow between now and then

Brilliant stuff, I need a Steve!

Sometimes it's a bit of a PITA that he's in Blackburn and I'm in Warrington but I know I can trust him and his garage is a 10 minute walk from the train station so at least it's doable on public transport, I dread to think what some of the jobs I've had done over the years would cost elsewhere.

Good news is it didn't move for 3 days and was still standing up on the suspension so it doesn't look like it's leaking