The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

Nice motor! But that interior, nope, needs piano black or aluminium effect dash trims, dark/black/anthracite door cards, seats and lower dash panels, hate light coloured interiors on Rangeys, still that should present no problem as a cheap and easy job after an engine swap on one of these.

PS did the shell have to be separated from the chassis for the engine swap? 

I know a guy (used to work with him) who worked for Arnie Shark, ended up working in one of the Vauxhall branches and for some reason someone had put a 2010 Rangey in there for repair, I could be wrong but im sure it was a twin turbo one, both turbos fucked, he had to separate the chassis from the body, had a photo of the body lifted by a 2 post lift on the 4 jacking points and the chassis and wheels on the ground, his job was to strip down engine and remove the turbos, await new Turbos coming in from LR dealer, refit new turbos and put everything back together, im sure he said hed advised new seals or something along with the new turbos, service manager refused, guy I know said the turbos would just fail again unless they were done, was told to get on with the job, fitted the new turbos, low and behold car came back faulty a few days later and he was handed the keys, told to strip it down and replace the seals hed wanted to replace originally, he flung the keys at them and walked out, Sounds like almost as much of a fuckabout as youve had with yours.

It's the Sport and Disco3 or4 that have to separate body and chassis for anything beyond an oil change, although there are people that can do turbos without, using a bit of ingenuity( and probably a BFO Hammer).

I meant how much did the Merc dealer charge for the software shizzle?

£500 but that also included a rear seat belt and fitting, it'd been cut for some reason

The car belonged to an old giffer who collapsed at the wheel and ran into the back of a parked car , fixed by the insurance at an approved body shop, he got a call telling him to collect in 2 days then another saying it'd been written off as the engine was seized

Steve thinks the battery was flat so somebody started it without checking it had any oil in it then left it running to charge the battery , it was running after the crash as the guy saw them drive it on the recovery truck

I had a b-class as courtesy car when my Saab 9-3 was written off for two weeks. It was rubbish. Slow, struggled up hill, useless and distracting infotainment, uncomfortable seats and cheap rent interior. Made me really miss my 9-3 even more.

Mine is the 220 cdi sport 4matic , wouldnt say its slow , its not into the 60s on fuel though , high 20s round town high 40s on the motorway but I don't drive it like miss daisy

I bought it because my wife isn't a confident driver so likes the raised driving position.

She has no interest at all in cars but really liked an evoque with a white interior , I couldn't bring myself to spend 25k on a 3 year old evoque so bought this B class for less that 1/2 That and got it fixed

I wouldn't spend over 30k on one though

I'd keep the wood, even if it is a bit bright...granted I've been getting far too much enjoyment from the fact that my most recent acquisition is the first car I've ever had with (possibly the most unconvincing ever) wood on the dash!

Have been wanting a car with that degree of "luxury" present for ages!

I don't even care that I can see the dots from the printing process...

Thats not bad is it. I can imagine some tie-wearing service desk manager at a Merc dealer having cold sweats at someone turning up with a non-running car following a 'DIY' engine swap and asking for a software reflash!!!!

I must say Merc are really good. On my old worthless-to-them ml they still got the master mechanic out to confirm something to me for the parts man to order the right bits. He gave me some good advice too which actually made the job a lot easier (fitting the oil/water union back onto the head after a turbo change).

I've always been very impressed by them, unlike BMW or Vauxhall who are always awful (well, around Swansea anyway).

I very rarely deal with main dealers but

Many years ago I had a toyota celica , back then you could only get the exhaust from toyota as it was a low volume car so nowhere stocked them

I'd had a back box recently when I got another blow so I rang the parts department up

how many pieces does a celica exhaust have

two

right can you order and fit the front bit

next day I take it in sounding like a tank

It's in the workshop for an hour , comes out sounding like a tank so I ask the fitter

er what have you done

changed the front pipe

so why does it still sound like that

because it's got a hole in the centre section

what centre section, I was told it was 2 pieces and the back is new

no it's 3 pieces

so hang on, I bought a car in with a blowing exhaust, you've replaced a part that didn't have a hole in it but left the part that did have a hole in it on the car

yes

why

because that's what it said on the job card

FFS

service manager apologised and they waived all the labour for fitting it

I pictured a Basil Fawlty / Manuel moment after i'd gone

Still without too much skin in the game, top work!

The android units work well in the HSE, the nav units in the Vogue with the fancy amplifiers take a lot of work to get the android units talking to it all.

I miss mine!

I'm hoping it's as easy to fit as it looks

Just returned the knackered engine , got the money back with no issues so at least that's one thing that went to plan

The starter on it isn't great , got a 20% off anything on eBay offer today so just ordered a new one £63 delivered , he's sold a few of them so we'll see how that goes

The starter on it isn't great , got a 20% off anything on eBay offer today so just ordered a new one £63 delivered , he's sold a few of them so we'll see how that goes

aapoldham? Not far from me but no reduction for collecting.

We buy  a few from there for Pinto/Zetec. They fail over time, but we abuse them with shale and water.

Keep the receipt we did have a shaft break once. Changed it no problem.

aapoldham? Not far from me but no reduction for collecting.

We buy  a few from there for Pinto/Zetec. They fail over time, but we abuse them with shale and water.

Keep the receipt we did have a shaft break once. Changed it no problem.

That's them , are they reconditioned from old ones or new , it says they're new on the ad but they're 1/2 the price of eurospares and 1/3 a branded one

Yes new, they don't ask for your old one exchange.

The Pinto ones are uprated and very good value, but some last longer than others.

Can't take mine back once its been raced its pretty obvious, the internals are full of crap.

But we did have one fail out of the box.

If you are not happy return it and buy a proper one :)

Arrived today, looks like a starter , heavy so it must be good

Drove to Stockport in the RR today to collect a back light that doesn't mist up

Good job I decided to replace the stereo ,looks like the dash is going to have to come apart anyway , the air direction for the heater is stuck, nothing to the screen , occasionally I hear a clicking like a stripped plastic cog then a whoosh and I can see until I turn it off again then it's back on the floor.

Early days report

I love driving it , looking down on the peasants below me , a guy drifted out of his lane on a big roundabout , saw 2.5t of Range Rover bearing down on him and quickly went back to whence he came

I can feel myself getting all superior when I'm in it :D

It is a bit gutless , putting your foot down makes more noise but not much happens , it reminds me of a V8 Lincoln towncar I had on holiday , a bit lazy

It definitely looks like a lot more money than I have in it , I think I'm hooked , when the B class sells I can see me scouring the salvage ads for a newer one with something bolloxed on it