The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

I did hear Shropshire nhs is calling for owners of 4x4 vehicles to do something with nurses

The radio went crackly so I don't know what but I'm on to Steve to get it fixed before it's over

The Trust I work for borrows/is loaned a Defender 110 every winter by the local LR dealer to collect staff who can't get to work in the 'terrible' conditions. It does amuse me as there is bugger all need for it & they should be told to turn up or get taken to HR.

The Trust I work for borrows/is loaned a Defender 110 every winter by the local LR dealer to collect staff who can't get to work in the 'terrible' conditions. It does amuse me as there is bugger all need for it & they should be told to turn up or get taken to HR.

Spose it's good publicity for the dealer / land rover if nothing else

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Any updates

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Updates as in it's fitted and I'm driving round with a smile on my face , unfortunately not, it's on a pallet until the weekend, this engine is from a manual so everything has to come off it , something he prefers to to Saturday afternoons so the constant phone ringing and people pulling up "can you just do this" is over.

He said he may go in Sunday morning so I might go up and undo some bolts

Can I just say what a bad idea a thousand pound Range Rover is?

Shame it's been such a faff but I admire your perseverance. Fingers crossed this is a good one and your tame mechanic doesn't have too many stresses getting it back in. On the plus side second time around should be a breeze for him. 

I don't think it was a bad idea, just bad luck, I don't believe anyone lists engines on ebay knowing they're knackered , pay with paypal and ebay will just refund , even if they get a pile of bricks on a pallet back

If i'd known how it was going to turn out would I have bought it, no , I took a chance and it didn't work out but as long as I don't end up with more than 3k in a running driving no warning lights on (for the first 100 miles), new gearbox,new suspension Range Rover I'll be happy.

Next update will be me driving it with a petrol station shot or a link to a 99p I never want to see it again, don't care if it sells for £40, eBay auction

But remember, you're reading a post from a guy that spent 15k on a Peugeot 406 and swapped a RD400 for a burglar alarm in the 80s so this is peanuts compared to my previous monumental fuckups

PS

I also bought a Maserati with almost 100k on it :D

I think you have balls going for a modernist Rangie with a crispy ducked engine.

This is the sort of thing I used to do when I was a lad and had the time. Motorbikes, Cars, forever buying some clapped out shite and making it non-shite with second hand stuff.

Nearest I got recently was a couple of years ago. My lad snapped the main shaft in his Fiesta ST. Senondand boxes were IMHO too much money. So I bought one for £75 with a cracked case and took the intervals out and put them into his good case, job done, took a chance and it worked out. You were just unlucky but you will get there in the end.

Do get us some piccys though if you are up with the spanner an this weekend

IT'S ALIVE

Just got a phone call , I can go and collect it tomorrow, sounds great, no smoke , goes really well though he's only been round the block in it , just insured and taxed it

I had a policy running on the Maserati but it's SORN , to change to the RR they wanted £150 until the policy end in august but for a full year on a new policy it's the same price , ie £260 refund plus £150 £410

I'd forgot the Maserati is only insured for me so added my wife on, but the recent shunt from behind is going to complicate things, I was driving on her policy

I'm on hold for ages then he comes back, adding your wife has opened up a few more quotes, cost to change with your company has stayed the same but with a different company we can either do a refund of £260 and you pay £3.50 so £263.50 for a year or you can take a new policy out for £263.50 for the year

so much for declaring a bump increasing the insurance

expect a petrol station shot sometime tomorrow

decision now is whether I can be bothered to make the 150 mile round trip to get my £200 back on the knackered engine or whether I just strip it and sell the working bits on ebay

They tend to be the ones with rolls of notes for toilet paper.

he does OK but when I drive in the yard and see him at 56 years old laying under an Iveco outside because it's too big to go in the workshop with a gearbox in his hands and it's horizontal sleet , I turn the heater up another notch on my van

I couldn't imagine spending that on a car , even if I'd won 20m on the lottery I'd be playing the dealers off against each other , a guy on another forum worked for a company that made interior plastics , he said the difference in price between run of the mill cars and luxury was very little

Profit margins must be very high as most cars these days have what luxury cars had in them 20 years ago

If that was closer I'd be interested

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F152834175741

Preston station

post-20755-0-19565500-1513765420_thumb.jpg

You've not seen his garage, if you imagine that porcelain tiled spotless workshop with every tool on a painted silhouette on the wall and somebody with a soft brush constantly cleaning

Think the polar opposite

But, he's proved he can do the business, especially on this project, in fact, you've inspired me to do something similar in the near future as I've had a massive chod clearly these last few weeks, a decent project won't go amiss (post Xmas of course).

Great effort fair play.

I always used to laugh at these idiots that day they won't take their car to a place that's not kept immaculate, ok perhaps on a brand new range rover where there's one person paid to simply clean the workshop but in the real world of garage ownership sheet bills need to be met weekly, wages paid etc is not always practicable to have a deep clean every week/month let alone day.

I'd say if the garage you're taking it to is that immaculate and your a shite owner expecting a cheap price you maybe disappointed.

Looking forward to the drive home updates !!!!

he does OK but when I drive in the yard and see him at 56 years old laying under an Iveco outside because it's too big to go in the workshop with a gearbox in his hands and it's horizontal sleet , I turn the heater up another notch on my van

I've always said a good mechanic is one of the most underpaid and under appreciated tradesmen. I wouldn't do it for a living.

Looking forward to the drive home updates !!!!

Oh yes , there's an update

Drove it to Costco at haydock , I pulled into the car park and the check coolant bong came on , oh fuck I pull up to see it bleeding green all out the front

The RAD hoses are a bloody stupid clip on design , one must've been pushed in but not clicked , the big speed bumps did for it and it fell off

So , 30 miles and the indignity of the AA man following me home

Didn't get hot so it's ok , sounds sweet , everything works including the heated seats and I love it

It's like sitting in a 70mph armchair

Bad news was I put £50 in it and it didn't make it 1/2 way up the fuel gauge , no petrol station shot as the AA man was waiting for me

I did have time to go in costco and buy some cleaning products so used the time wisely