The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

Apologies if this seems like a numpty idea... have you considered rebuilding one of the engines? Are the costs of parts and labour off-putting?

Squirrel2

I have suggested this , £500 for another engine plus  £500 to swap it gives me £1000 to play with on this one , though Steve thinks the original engine is a better candidate as no dink dink dink just down on one cylinder, I'd have 5 injectors to sell plus EGR and any other bits, head, wiring loom,sensors, alternator, starter, this engine was pretty complete bar the turbo

I think Steves worry is it's got to come out to rebuild it so if he puts more hours into stripping it and it turns out to be knackered that's more money down the tubes / towards his (getting more long haul by the week) summer holiday :D

I've found a M57 group on faceache , they seem to be based in Eastern Europe somewhere but thankfully switch to English without google translate so I can understand them.

Opinion seems to be it's an injector issue so they've advised to get them all out and get them tested so I've decided, no more engines , this one is stopping in, I'm prepared to risk a few more quid on testing the injectors then it's on eBay for 2k Ono once it starts snowing so snow tax applies

If this one doesn't work out I will be buying another as just a drive round the block was enough to convince me I really like them and your a long time dead, it's only money etc etc

Spoke to Steve this morning, it's definitely not injectors, too loud, too metallic and doesn't go away when it gets hot, if anything it gets louder

The engine seller told me he'd driven it 10 miles to the yard so knew the engine was OK, now I come to think about it 10 miles with it squirting oil up the dipstick is probably what's fucked it up

Discussed options but building 2 engines out of one is still going to need a gasket set £150, cylinder sleeve £70, piston £100 , then maybe a timing chain kit while it's all apart £250 so there's £600 in parts alone plus a lot of labour building it

So , watch this space, I've got some thinking to do

That's what i don't understand, seller told me he'd driven the car 10 miles and the engine was fine but as soon as steve fits it it's knocking, full of pressure and pushing oil out of the dipstick , crankcase breather was gummed up on both engines , fitting a modified breather stopped it pushing oil out straight away

why would he take so much care removing a knackered engine then list it on ebay where it only needs an undeclared scratch and ebay will refund.

something doesn't add up , steve fitted 5 injectors from the L322 , then the 6th when it started knocking to see if that was it.

he's convinced the little ends have been starved of oil and that's whats knocking , if it was me doing it for free I'd dick about with it but paying somebody £30 an hour to play a guessing game is going to get expensive

Thinking even with a ding-ding the current weather could've seen you double your money pretty quickly.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

I did hear Shropshire nhs is calling for owners of 4x4 vehicles to do something with nurses

The radio went crackly so I don't know what but I'm on to Steve to get it fixed before it's over