The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

There won't be any postage , RR is in Blackburn with a knackered engine fitted , new engine is in Oswestry , I'm in Warrington , its whether I can persuade him to give me the new engine so I can get it fitted then return the old one when I'm passing to save me two trips

The biggest ball ache is paying for the fitting twice

Can't you get the old one ripped out & take it back to collect the new one in one trip?

It'll tie up where ever the RR is dumped for a day though.

That's the problem , it's stuck on the ramp waiting for me to take the engine back and swap it which will probably be most of the day

When I saw the engine was knackered I was all for getting shot of it , then I took it for a drive , talk about a smooth ride , changes gear fine , , plenty of opportunity for summer evening tinkering and improvements

I could spend 3x as much on one newer and still get the same problems

This is a great thread.

Many of us (me anyway) want to do this kind of thing but don't have the balls (or spare cash).

Here's hoping the next engine is a good one.

My problem is I like a bargain too much , I'll spend hours looking when I want something in the hope of finding it at half price , a £1000 L322 fell squarely into the danger zone, not too much money and the potential to be a bargain.

What I don't want is to be in this same position in a weeks time on engine no 3 , I'd have to be really unlucky for that to happen though

Not worth pulling the crank bearing caps off for a looksee?

He spent another hour changing the only injector that wouldn't come out so all 6 were out of my old engine , got it out with a hot engine and a slide hammer , initially it sounded better so there was lots of back slapping and chinking of glasses until it warmed up a bit then the dink dink returned

It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from but I think I'm going to accept defeat , at £30 an hour disappointment is becoming expensive

Of course not :D , even if I put another £1000 in it it's still only £3000 in a 2 owner car with suspension and gearbox already fixed which is the same as renting a golf for 10 months

Spoke to the engine seller an hour ago, I can tell he's genuinely surprised it's turned out like this , he's got another M57 engine so at the moment it's looking like this one is going back in a box in exchange for the other one as long as we can work the logistics out

Another engine you've not heard running? Really?

What about this with a borked gearbox?  I'm sure the remains will be worth something especially if you've got an old chevette engine you could drop in it.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-530d-touring-gearbox-fault/1278168760

Interesting, thanks , I'll give him a ring tomorrow to see what he'll take on it , then I've got to work out how to get it from Ilkeston to Blackburn

Of course not :D , even if I put another £1000 in it it's still only £3000 in a 2 owner car with suspension and gearbox already fixed which is the same as renting a golf for 10 months

Spoke to the engine seller an hour ago, I can tell he's genuinely surprised it's turned out like this , he's got another M57 engine so at the moment it's looking like this one is going back in a box in exchange for the other one as long as we can work the logistics out

Would love to watch Yodel lob that parcel over the garden fence.

What about this with a borked gearbox?  I'm sure the remains will be worth something especially if you've got an old chevette engine you could drop in it.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-530d-touring-gearbox-fault/1278168760

Just rung him, it smokes a bit on starting if it's been left for a while but clears then revs with no smoke but 124k is a typo , it's done 224k :(

Drives about 20 miles until it gets warm then loses drive , he's looking for offers around £600

Just rung him, it smokes a bit on starting if it's been left for a while but clears then revs with no smoke but 124k is a typo , it's done 224k :(

Drives about 20 miles until it gets warm then loses drive , he's looking for offers around £600

Apologies if this seems like a numpty idea... have you considered rebuilding one of the engines? Are the costs of parts and labour off-putting?

Squirrel2

I am currently contemplating which is the winner in the bad idea stakes, this or Panhard's 500 quid roller. Time will tell.

Buying any Range Rover out of manufacturer warranty is a risk if it's 3k or 30k , if I find a good engine worst case for me is 3k in a 4k car .

I'm now looking for another engine as the one I was looking at from the same seller doesn't exist, managed to get hold of him, ebay re listed it automatically , good news is he's giving me my money back when i take it back so at least that's something.

Imagine how dull life would be if we all rented Fiat Panda's at £99 a month