The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

Noted :D

I've had a word with my competent mechanic and if it all turns to shit we can break it between us , my AA cover runs out in 3 weeks so this will be my parting blow , though I'll probably go for their breakdown cover with £750 towards repair costs as It could be money well spent

Compression loss on one pot and smoking may well be a swirl flap that's gone into the engine. You may* get away with a new slug and a secondhand head.

I've bought many a car with a knackered engine, Ive detailed the XK8 previously and fitting a XJ8 engine in it

remove engine and box from car, strip both engines back to the block and heads , swap everything over inc cams, VVT thingies, sump, inlet and exhaust manifolds , you name it

put it all back in then find out the timing marks on the starter ring gear are different , take gearbox off , spend a panicked 30 minutes looking through the scrap pile, find and fit ring gear, fit gearbox back to engine , start and drive , service and MOT car

that was a big job , I can't see this being as big

last year I bought a 12 month old B class with a blown up engine , got another engine, steve fitted it then it was a nervous couple of days while mercedes got everything talking , even the headlights have an ecu so they won't work on another car without being programmed

I could bring a jet engine in and ask him to fit it in a fiesta and he'd give it a go

out fucking standing

when is the cullexshun?

sex is a messy business anyway

Tomorrow hopefully , amazingly for me it's less than an hour away , I've been to aberdeen, swansea, norwich harlow even cornwall once , distance is no object for the right car, whether this is the right car we'll have to see, if I'm living in it this time next week you'll know things haven't gone well at home :D

Sod it all, if you really want one , and aren't just feeling bored, then go buy it. 

End of the day, don't spend more on any car than you can stand to lose. For me it's far less than £1k and a £600 repair bill (£1600 total then), but everybody has different means. End of the day, sometimes you can just run something for 6 weeks, consider the itch scratched, and sell it on. Chances are if you do sort it out then you will sell it for more than the £1k you're paying anyway. 

Put it like this, it's a lot less stupid than picking up an utterly rotten R30 for £200 like I did, and I have no regrets even about that!

always someone out there that would take a dead LR off ya hands...I've yet to lose money on ANY land rover product i've owned....just dont mention series 2 that I spent £700 trying to get Brakes that worked!!!!!

always someone out there that would take a dead LR off ya hands...I've yet to lose money on ANY land rover product i've owned....just dont mention series 2 that I spent £700 trying to get Brakes that worked!!!!!

I had a 90 with dodgy brakes, sold it to a mate , they work fine if you press really hard , like servo assist when the servo isn't working except it was, stripped them down, cleaned everything, replaced the shuttle valve and none of it made any difference

That is, without doubt, the most absurd thing I have heard of so far on modernz. Seriously. Lamps with an ECU? Dafuq next?

I was told it's to stop theft of led headlights because they cost £££, they won't work in another car without being programmed by Mercedes

slipped liners came in at the 3.9 classic. weak fuel mapping according to eggspurts

I had one, liner dropped only a couple of thou. enough to create a gap under the fire ring for the compression to escape into the cooling system on the squeeze stroke and then coolant to be both pushed and sucked back on the suck stroke.

miss firey coolant spewing mess. shat the lot one day and went bang. that was the end of that v8

pressure washed piston top was a clue. 

Now that's interesting,  your block has the outer stud provision that got deleted for cheapness / because eggspurts said so. I've been through a few of those blocks where a liner went jiggery and I was blaming the extra loading on the remaining adjacent stud area,  I retro-drilled the last block and heads which has been ok thus far.

I once bought a RR "PIG"  the V8 3.5  2 door best tug I ever had. 8) £1200 :-D

Lasted me 5 years with no problems...I had a good paying job so the mpg didn't matter,it would run great on piss or the top octane.(was told the 3.5 was detuned so they'd run as normal on third world shit petrol. :-D

But like they say if you can't afford to run it ..don't buy it.

post-20101-0-85330900-1511222740_thumb.jpg

It's MOT'd until April next year.

No advisories at all since 1st MOT in 2006 , one fail in 2013 for a bald tyre

Just having a look for a diagnostic tool , this seems to be the tool of choice but it costs 1/2 a range rover

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IID-TOOL-BT-BLUETOOTH-PERSONAL-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-TFIIDBT-RANGE-ROVER-L322/281832889399?hash=item419e8c9c37:g:agQAAOSwvUlWqKTI

For added excitement first time I see it will be in the dark, the only way it could be worse is if I get mugged when I get there

You will be mugged if he takes your money :D