No bucket wrong'un: the stoner cast off E46 318CI

HMC

Does that mean you'll be turning it into a "poundland gangster" replica, with loud exhaust, bubbling tints and ebay ///M badges on every panel ?

I was more thinking blacked out windows and an Irish cover plate. I will then turn this "cherished registration" into an e bay sales tactic where it will be "unique" and "told its wurf 800"

Doesn't look too bad from here.

My brother has had a yr2000 325 auto for over 8 years now and it's been really good. He's had to replace the expansion tank (cracked), radiator (bowing at the bottom), water pump (knackered bearing), thermostat housing (cracked - are you seeing a theme here...) and fairly regular suspension bushes but so far it's been rock solid. Done 140k now. I drove it at the weekend and it still feels spot on, only the odometer reading gives it away.

My brother has had a yr2000 325 auto for over 8 years now and it's been really good. He's had to replace the expansion tank (cracked), radiator (bowing at the bottom), water pump (knackered bearing), thermostat housing (cracked - are you seeing a theme here...) and fairly regular suspension bushes

Tell me about it and to that you can add power steering pump and high pressure line , alternator, tensioners, shock absorbers ,brake pipes and rust.

I must have the second worst car on Autoshite, one extra point for a 6 cylinder engine lol.

My brother has had a yr2000 325 auto for over 8 years now and it's been really good. He's had to replace the expansion tank (cracked), radiator (bowing at the bottom), water pump (knackered bearing), thermostat housing (cracked - are you seeing a theme here...) and fairly regular suspension bushes

Tell me about it and to that you can add power steering pump and high pressure line , alternator, tensioners, shock absorbers ,brake pipes and rust.

I must have the second worst car on Autoshite, one extra point for a 6 cylinder engine lol.

And to that you can add front wishbones, wishbones bushes, diff clonk, central locking/GM5 module failure, airbag sensor in the seat cushion breaking, window regulators, rear light electrical plugs burning the earths out. A good E46* will be a great car, a bad one will put you off BMW for life.

Good grief a worse one! I'm having to tread carefully with this and spend tactically. The drop link is essential. The temperature sensor wise- but what about the radiator fan? Over 100 on that isn't making sense to me or it's 30 for a tested used part.

I occasionally start thinking about putting a better interior in but that doesn't make sense either. But it's tempting.

Anyone any experience with coupe window regulators on these? The drivers one is apparently shagged, the window is up at a strange angle, the rocker switch snapped off, and a "window regulator repair made in turkey" kit is lying in the boot. Haynes (found one in the boot) seems to try and ward off budding DIYers with mentions of extreme hassle and offloading to a main dealer, which seems an odd thing to put in HBOL.

I was considering an e46 for next year perhaps but this has put me right off. How can they be so bad?

I see my 1.8 Astra Coupe as a comparable, if lower priced car to a 318ci and with a similar spec but my Coupe has been absolutely no bother and is a doddle to sort.

Is an e36 completely different to an e46 i.e. not a living nightmare.

I don't think theyre inherently bad - just that all the things that make them good when new, eventually deteriorate and stop functioning properly if the ownership pattern is roughly as follows:

Owner 1. Company. Either maintained regardless or thrashed to bits and dollied up for the auction.

Owner 2/3. Runs it for 3 years/40,000 miles with fuck all servicing. Car sees a mechanic only when something eventually prevents it from moving.

Owner 4. Deid chuffed to get a premium German motor for a fifth of its new cost. Sinks £2500 into tyres, suspension, brakes, fuel pump, replacement switches, keys, lamps, cooling system parts, etc etc etc. Trades it in after a year against something much newer.

Owner 5. Dopehead/my wife.

I don't think theyre inherently bad - just that all the things that make them good when new, eventually deteriorate and stop functioning properly if the ownership pattern is roughly as follows:

Owner 1. Company. Either maintained regardless or thrashed to bits and dollied up for the auction.

Owner 2/3. Runs it for 3 years/40,000 miles with fuck all servicing. Car sees a mechanic only when something eventually prevents it from moving.

Owner 4. Deid chuffed to get a premium German motor for a fifth of its new cost. Sinks £2500 into tyres, suspension, brakes, fuel pump, replacement switches, keys, lamps, cooling system parts, etc etc etc. Trades it in after a year against something much newer.

Owner 5. Dopehead/my wife.

Add 2 years and E60/61 will face same fate, which are known to be better built. Drove an E60 525i manual with 60k km on the clock today and it felt like new.

I was considering an e46 for next year perhaps but this has put me right off. How can they be so bad?

I see my 1.8 Astra Coupe as a comparable, if lower priced car to a 318ci and with a similar spec but my Coupe has been absolutely no bother and is a doddle to sort.

Is an e36 completely different to an e46 i.e. not a living nightmare.

The e36 had quality that went beyond skin deep, wheras while the e46 looks impressive, is nice to sit inside and isn't a bad steer it is built to a price. That price being 49 pence.

I honestly think the Astra of that vintage is better built and easier to work on.

I changed all the brake lines on my mates, which involved dropping the fuel tank. I think I could count on one hand the amount of fixings that could be reused. Everything a spanner went near just dissolved.

I'll have to try and post the rot video. It was properly grim

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk