You learn something every day....

Mash

If I can find the papr i'll check but I think it was 1969. Matchbox did choose some real oddball stuff. The Mazda RX500 concept is another odd choice as was the Siva Spyder which was a kit car built in Blandford Forum of which they only made 12!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Here's another one that puzzles me. The Matchbox "Whoosh 'n' push" which clearly must be pure fantasy...

Posted Image

Or is it? A closer look reveals a familiar face! Unlikely though it is I'd love to think this was modelled on a one of customised Maxi :lol:

Posted ImagePosted Image

LOL! I've never noticed that, I have that model somewhere...I've always wondered what that Siva Spider was, is that what it's called on the model? The only one I've got is one of those shitty 'Super GT' ones from the 80s.

That 'Boxcar' isn't far off some of the weird Asian cars we have on the road now - Nissan Cube anyone?? Suzuki Wagon R??Bizarre how they just decided to model a random vehicle from the competition - did Mr Freeman enter into an additional competition in order for that to happen? He'd have hopefully collected at least a share of future sales of the model, like the winner of the chosen flavour of the Walkers crisps "Do Us A Flavour" competition - seriously, who thought 'Builder's Breakfast' was the best?! :?The main conclusion is that design hasn't really changed as much as they thought it would looking at that lot! :shock:

Seems a rather odd choice of a car to make a model of...When was that competition?

The Telegraph magazine is dated October 15th 1965. I also have a copy which I got for the super-early photos and factory visit of the Triumph 1300, but this competition article was a bonus.