Blatant ringers thread?

DodgeRover

I seem to remember there's some sort of "points" system that in theory is applied to a vehicle to determine if it has been sufficiently changed to warrant not retaining its notional identity- axles = x points etc and when a threshold is passed a "q" gets slapped on it.

I seem to remember there's some sort of "points" system that in theory is applied to a vehicle to determine if it has been sufficiently changed to warrant not retaining its notional identity- axles = x points etc and when a threshold is passed a "q" gets slapped on it.

That should be using the logbook for the coil sprung chassis engine gearbox axles.....given how frequently these go walk about you might well have more problems than just losing tax& mot exemption next time it's taxed when they ask about modifications...

New parts of the same design keep the points too. It's when you modify it they lose points. Hence you can put a series LR on a galvanised chassis, but not on a coil sprung factory chassis.

a few local people who drag caravans around, have several Land rovers of dubious parentage..IE full 110 and 90 on pre 72 plates..and a discovery that if you do a check is allegedly a 72 RR ....mind you they also have quite a few vans that appear to share a number plate :o

It gets more of an issue (and might become quite a problem) with older, more valuable stuff perhaps with a historic identitiy. If you've got a substancially and regularly crashed and rebuilt racing car that's worth £££££ whether or not it still that car in a triggers broom type scenario becomes a very emotive subject.

I know of a case 20 odd years ago where two people were essentially restoring the same TR2.   One had the documents the other had the donor chassis.   Several hundred pounds on parts and work was spent by each party before the documentary clash came to light during attempts to re-register the cars.   It never really worked out for one of the chaps and his car, so I believe, ended up left hand drive.

ringing for Triumph Stags was rife before rolling VED restarted.

Gordon Mctwat conveniently stopped it at the breakover point between Mk1 and Mk2 Stags

There are a few definite tell tales some of which are easy to swap about like seat design, dash clocks etc

Some not so like door strikers, interior lights on the b post rather than roll over hoop. And number plate lights on the bumper rather than bootlid.

even the wheeler dealers stag they restored was a ved ringer.

These cars occasionally come up for sale and are treated like a very wet fart by those in the know. 

here is another as posted on ebay fred.

Doovla standards are completely mixed up if seller is to be believed.

final price of 5bags was some way short of a proper and original series II had it been in the same condition so maybe the market is reacting.

If any of the range rover ID had still existed - which it didnt - chassis number ground out etc. then I would have been interested to make up a genuine SII on a new galv chassis. would have been a long project though and would have needed a terminal SII project as a source for axle tubes, engine and box. The bulkhead could have been put back to standard.

for me the car is worth the value of its parts and the SII ID which is not that far off the final price but far enough for me to be ooot

https://www.ebay.co....f9252%7Ciid%3A1

BUT

It is a Series II body and fairly genuine on a Range Rover chassis and running gear. 

As far as point DVLA goes this is a resounding Nil Point

astonishingly doovla cretins have recently inspected and passed it as a 1960 Land Rover. according to the owner seller.I was converted 20 years ago, there is no trace of the range rover v5. The engine number translates as early 1980s as does the gearbox type. The VIN is for a Series II

Seller is going to see if the RR chassis number is still in place on the chassis. I suspect that it will be suspiciously smooth.

I am not sure that the coin this will go for is worth the Q plate risk

D1  and  classic RR  are fundamentally  the same vehicle other than body 

DVLA  wise a  disco bodied classic RR  would still be the RR  as chassis +engine + axles  etc  plenty of points  to keep that ID 

disco  body = nul points  towards vehicle ID  ( actually  any  Series > Defender , classic RR, p38 , D1  or D2  body is nul points)

a while back there was such a vehicle with range rover front end and advertised as a "Mange Rover high roof". Points system correct

I built a few "Strange Rovers" years ago - Discoverys with all Range Rover panels, but retaining the rear goalpost and back door of the Discovery and the rear swage recreated - Discovery interior too. I'll see if I can find photos.

Even more years ago, I went to a scrapyard for bits for my Imp. The one in the yard was better than mine! £100 changed hands and a few salient bits were whipped off mine and fitted to the other one - which miraculously became Mot'd, taxed and insured - and drove about for another 18 months at least.

Years ago I wrote off a Mk2 Polo & a mate working in a VW scrappy kept offering me another bodyshell. I kept saying no just scrap the bloody thing & eventually he turned up with a shell.. Anyway swapped it in a weekend & had it running even with the different wiring. The only original things on the 'new' shell was the loom, rear side windows and fuel tank, everything else came off my car.

Then as it was taking so long to get a Q-plate on it I applied for the V5 based on the reg on the side windows. Now this car had been scrapped a good 18 months earlier yet the V5 came through quicker than the Q-plate. So I eventually ended up with two valid V5s for the same shell.

check out this beaut

1972 bobtailed Range Rover classic 2 door tax exempt

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-bobtailed-range-rover-classic-2-door-tax-exempt/162764470395

s-l1600.jpg

pretty much every single detail I can see is early to mid 1980s

#cashinginonRangeRoverfrenzy

a few local people who drag caravans around, have several Land rovers of dubious parentage..IE full 110 and 90 on pre 72 plates..and a discovery that if you do a check is allegedly a 72 RR ....mind you they also have quite a few vans that appear to share a number plate :o

Do these people have a permanent address, which is made of some form of brick or concrete ? You are being so careful to not suggest any particular frequently maligned culture. I am impressed with the PC nature of your post.

I hate the Caravan Club too, bastards clogging up the roads, connecting their tin tent to the mains, and generally visiting the National Trust and English Heritage.

I built a few "Strange Rovers" years ago - Discoverys with all Range Rover panels, but retaining the rear goalpost and back door of the Discovery and the rear swage recreated - Discovery interior too. I'll see if I can find photos. Even more years ago, I went to a scrapyard for bits for my Imp. The one in the yard was better than mine! £100 changed hands and a few salient bits were whipped off mine and fitted to the other one - which miraculously became Mot'd, taxed and insured - and drove about for another 18 months at least.

A guy I don't know and have never met never had a very personal to him private plate on a car which was just never going to be MOT'd without a million hours of labour and a £zillion in parts. He never bought the Exact same car with an MOT, swapped chassis plates and glass (which were etched with reg number) and re-MOT'd it with the Private plate. Then he never taxed it, then was never invited to visit VOSA for a VIC as not at all suspicious.  Following that the Private plate didn't end up on his wife's car, the MOT'd car with correct identity was sold and the original pile of scrap was left at the bottom of the field on a Sorn for years.

Mind you I once went to look at an 850 mini, and it had 12 months MOT and was basically close to being a scrapper. The other 850 mini the guy had was perfect and the same colour.  I suspected foul play. Although knowing MOT testers back in the 80's it probably failed at the same MOT station on the right plates the day after passing on the wrong plates.

The only thing that's true is that the scrap car is still in the field. 20 years later.

There is a gentleman I know in the North West who is still running a 1980s hot hatch with the ID of a similar example that he damaged beyond repair fifteen years ago or so. Something to do with the insurance company insisting that it be fitted with an aftermarket immobiliser and prove it with an installation certificate, which the bent one already had and its replacement didn't.

Another chap I knew replaced his knackered 2 litre Capri with a better 1.6 and, bizarrely, swapped the number plates over rather than incur the admin fee from his broker for changing the policy to a different car.