Suzuki Bandit 600

the judge

Hi all. Selling a 1999 600 Bandit.

Thought I would try it out here first.

33000kms, motd til April 2018.

Little bit scruffy, needs a bit of wire wool on the chrome etc.

Some paint flaked off bits of the frame.

But..... 2x newish tyres, starts first crack and rides well. Renthal bars.

New oil and filter, and air filter. Fuel tap rebuilt. Good and reliable.

In all, a winter bike/ doer upper.

Asking 600 quid firm.

Does that's seem fair?

Pretty well identical to the 98/R one I used to have, down to the colour, Micron (by the looks of it) exhaust and Renthals.

Had mine for three or so years 2001-2005 (& a 1200 later). Good bikes in the day, no-nonsense, no-frills, hard to kill, will go round the clock with oil changes. The only thing to watch is corrosion and the brakes are prone to sticking/gumming up. 

Asking 600 quid firm.

Does that's seem fair?

No.

I keep thinking I should buy a Bike, as I have a full licence.

And you are local. and it's a sensible bike for a bloke that last rode an RD350LC in 1988.

I need it to be either much more expensive or a lot cheaper, and include PPE

No.

And you are local. and it's a sensible bike for a bloke that last rode an RD350LC in 1988.

Perfectly sensible bike. It's not a screamer so easy to ride etc.

Buy it.

No.

I bet you wish you still had the 350LC

I had a S reg RD400 in 85-86 , I wasn't using it and paying for a garage so decided to sell, it was mint, sell it I couldn't give it away, old 2 strokes were unwanted then , unbelievably a friend of a friend took it off my hands in exchange for a burglar alarm for my house

This isn't it but minus the expansion chambers this is what it looked like , £10,000

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RD400/132324352684?hash=item1ecf2562ac:g:TrgAAOSwhZpZ3zEL

Glad I've still got my LC..................... 8)

Anyway back to the thread, IMO - £600 is pretty reasonable for a tidy B6 running and riding with a ticket and no major expenses such as tyres, in the immediate offing. 

FWIW - my experiences of owning a 98/R-Reg 600 (2001-2005) & a 97/P-Reg 1200 (2007-2013) can be summed up:

As a daily ride (which both my B6 & B12 were essentially), they are sound bikes, not exactly exciting unless you've never had a big bike before, but reliable, easy to fix and cheap to run although they do go through tyres slightly quicker than I'd have thought (that's what I found anyhow). Clearly the 12 is better but that's not relevant here. It can be a bit of a handful to muscle around in town but I personally never found this a problem as it is a stable bike to ride. 

As I said, the only downsides - esp with the 600 rather than the 1200, is the cheapness of the build - they were cheap bikes new so Suzuki did have to cut corners on quality of components and this shows up in the suspension and especially the brakes which are good but need regular cleaning/lubing/attention and the general finish too but that's common with many bikes. The 1200 had better quality kit from new so isn't as bad. 

Spares both new & secondhand for early stuff used to be plentiful as Bandits were so bloody common about ten years ago but you rarely see one now so I don't know these days.

Put it this way, if I were looking for a daily/hack, I'd be interested in it! (But I'm not - sorry). 

What on earth has been done to the bar clamps?

Yes, it looks weird but it's a common mod on Mk1 Bandits (don't know about Mk.2's & beyond as I've only had Mk.1's) - it raises the handlebars for use with Renthal bars. The stock ones were too low and narrow for most, that's why it was so often done. It makes them more stable, comfortable over a distance and gives more steering leverage when riding in town/traffic.