Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Grumpy Old Man thread

• Please log in to reply
72003 replies to this topic

#71581 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 149 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe A14

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

So what the hell happened here and how would the unbiased viewer apportion blame?

Driving to work in my wife's car, just had time to think "That Transit's pretty close" and BANG! £400 down the pan. We were certainly not over the white line (although could have been further to the left I admit), but it doesn't appear as though they were either - although if you pause the clip their mirror does look in line with the centre markings. Thing is, I reckon the Transit mirror is higher than ours so would not have hit, so was it the sides of the pickup back? In which case how did that happen without their mirror clipping the car body itself?

Problem is the video is no proof we were on our side, and no proof they strayed onto ours. All that can be said is that we didn't suddenly jink to the right, but neither is there any sign that they did so, so I can't see an insurance company saying anything other than 50/50 liability.

Any thoughts?

It is very clear to me what happened here. The noise occurs before our knacker friend arrives and the passenger can be heard to shout 'DUCK'! Therefore, I would deduce that you were hit by flying wildlife of the Mallard type and not by our road going friend. Case closed.

• Talbot, myglaren and robinmasters like this

1986 BMW 635CSi - Works but doesn't work

1998 BMW E36 318i Touring - Works

2001 Land Rover Discovery V8 - Works

#71582 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 763 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

Shit, bollix, barsteward and other expletives. On the M66 and a van kicked something up and the windscreen went a bit bang.
I wonder how long it takes to find a screen for a 305 ?

Ask these fellas first?
  • chaseracer likes this
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#71583 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 149 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe A14

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

People, a friendly reminder to NOT let your guard down when overtaking foreign lorries. I had obviously become complacent, tonight I was 4 feet past the back end of a trailer at 65 mph when the cunt changed lanes. I had little room to control the situation and mash the brakes whilst not letting the van behind me enter my rear... he won but the touring lives to fight another day. As a reward I have bought replacement stuff for it that it doesn't need... never can have too many spares.

#71584 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 149 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe A14

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

Or these? https://www.classicc...dscreens.co.uk/

Might have a go to see if I can get the 635 screen with a sunstrip..

• chaseracer and Tadhg Tiogar like this

#71585 OFFLINE   puddlethumper

puddlethumper

• Full Members
  • 541 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

Not long I reckon. Did that red van have a good one? Failing that I know a good screen fitter who knows where to source rare bits

Going to see what the insurance screen people have to say tomorrow. 

• The Moog likes this

#71586 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 763 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

....Might have a go to see if I can get the 635 screen with a sunstrip..

Your name over the driver's side, and "vacant" over the other..... :-)
  • BoggyMires likes this

#71587 OFFLINE   sheffcortinacentre

sheffcortinacentre

• Full Members
  • 1,756 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:14 PM

Speaking of counter staff.

I'm fed up of them being to busy on thier I phones to deal with customers.
Today had this in 3 shops, one woman was short changed & was told can't do owt till we cash up at end of day, to which her reply was perhaps if you concentrated on serving rather than your phone this wouldn't happen which got her a look of utter contempt.
  • alf892 likes this

to much power is just enough & theres more to life than mpg.

#71588 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 149 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe A14

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:17 PM

Your name over the driver's side, and "vacant" over the other..... :-)

It was an original 'option' so there must be some out there along with the £3k (in the 80's!) steering wheel air bag, which I've never seen fitted in real life. I had the sun strip put in the touring when the screen was replaced, you had to say it was already* fitted on the car though and my grump with that was that it left a silver bit of metal behind the mirror showing. Next time I'll be armed with a permanent marker!

#71589 OFFLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

• Full Members
  • 149 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationThe A14

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

Speaking of counter staff.

I'm fed up of them being to busy on thier I phones to deal with customers.
Today had this in 3 shops, one woman was short changed & was told can't do owt till we cash up at end of day, to which her reply was perhaps if you concentrated on serving rather than your phone this wouldn't happen which got her a look of utter contempt.

We had a sealant application engineer (mastic man) do a house and he had his phone in one hand and sealant gun in the other... all day! Job was not completed properly to say the least. These phones are a problem.

#71590 ONLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 11,025 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

People, a friendly reminder to NOT let your guard down when overtaking foreign lorries. I had obviously become complacent, tonight I was 4 feet past the back end of a trailer at 65 mph when the cunt changed lanes. I had little room to control the situation and mash the brakes whilst not letting the van behind me enter my rear... he won but the touring lives to fight another day. As a reward I have bought replacement stuff for it that it doesn't need... never can have too many spares.

Foreign trucks changing lanes without warning is one of the reasons the Rover now has one of these fitted:

s-l400.jpg

They might not be able to see me but at least they'll hear me.

• 155V6, eddyramrod, Lacquer Peel and 5 others like this

#71591 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 763 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:55 PM

It was an original 'option' so there must be some out there along with the £3k (in the 80's!) steering wheel air bag, which I've never seen fitted in real life......

Only the US E24s for '88-'89 got steering airbags.

Mine had blue/green glass throughout, but I don't remember having a graded sunstrip at the front:

Image040.jpg

• John F likes this

#71592 ONLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 11,025 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:57 PM

telling me the facts* in a really condescending, borderline aggressive tone.

Is that not because French, though, rather than because teenage gobshite?

• Talbot, Lacquer Peel and Hooli like this

#71593 ONLINE   The Moog

The Moog

rusty old Starlet

• Staff
  • 7,323 posts
  • 45 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

Fun police. I won’t go into a long rant as I’ll get beaten up.
Just a shame that moderation on here has become so utterly pedantic. Does it seriously matter if someone starts a thread on an unusual car? As an ex-boss always said, before doing a job, question who you’re doing it for, why you’re doing it, and whether it actually needs doing in the first place.
I always had a lot of time and respect for that approach to work - I still worked damn hard, but found I could pace the workload better.
I reckon it could be applied elsewhere, too.

This works when it is one person doing, when everyone starts a new thread about a new thing that has crossed their mind/thought that popped into head/what should I buy/what do you think about etc then the forum becomes unreadable. 

So a few focused threads where if it is of interest you can read it, is deemed a suitable answer to that problem. Same as having an ebay thread for cars that arent your for sale. 

Apologies if wading through random threads that pushes out car content is your idea of fun, you may want to have a look at something like facebook for that. 

• chaseracer, Talbot, Skizzer and 7 others like this

2000 - Ford Poo ma 
2003 - Getz 

#71594 OFFLINE   panhard65

panhard65

Full Members

• Full Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Locationsomerset

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Idiot ebay sellers are pissing me off today. Ordered some main bearings for the Seat as they were cheap and the oil light takes a while to go out. The sellers listing is pretty patronising saying they only fit the vehicle he has listed them for and not to ask if they will fit anything else. They turn up today or a parcel did, the fucking idiot has sent me a set of big end bearings for a ford. Then there are all the other parts I am waiting for that seem to of vanished even though they should of arrived days ago. Because it hasn't gone over the last delivery date the sellers won't even try to find out what has happened to them. I really want to get the Seat finished and had a free day today, I bet everything will turn up next week when I am too busy to get near it. My final grump is this bloody moped still won't run. It's had a full engine rebuild new carb and new points and condensor. It should bloody go but it now looks like the generators have packed up on both the magnetos that I have. I would change the whole fucking lot and fit the electronic ignition set only it won't fit on this crankshaft even though all the parts sellers say it will. Proper grumpy today !

'69 Seat 1500 hearse

'99 Peugeot 806 of slightly less dents

'02 Porsche Boxster S 3.2
'02 Citroen Saxo Furio

#71595 OFFLINE   iainrcz

iainrcz

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 63 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

Today I Decided to check my tyre pressures. I Plugged the compressor in and pressed go. Not noticing it was on the inject sealant setting. Cue white milky shit pouring everywhere.
Arse.
What's worse is the bottle of sealant was brand new, I'd only bought it about a month ago.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

#71596 OFFLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 6,302 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:46 PM

Today I'm getting a taste of what life after Brexit will be like.

Yes, I've had to get a bucket and sponge out and wash my own car. The local Handcarwash is closed , as are 2 other inferior ones nearby.
It seems some petty regulations might have been breached. I can't do links, just search Milton Keynes, car wash and maybe Modern Slavery, Class A drugs and money laundering too...

The two lads that ran it always seemed sound enough, into their cars too SL55, V10 S8 , S600 etc, never any indications that..., ah!
  • wuvvum, The Reverend Bluejeans, alf892 and 6 others like this

#71597 ONLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 2,991 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

Today I'm getting a taste of what life after Brexit will be like.

Yes, I've had to get a bucket and sponge out and wash my own car. The local Handcarwash is closed , as are 2 other inferior ones nearby.
It seems some petty regulations might have been breached. I can't do links, just search Milton Keynes, car wash and maybe Modern Slavery, Class A drugs and money laundering too...

The two lads that ran it always seemed sound enough, into their cars too SL55, V10 S8 , S600 etc, never any indications that..., ah!

Oh.

I have genuine concerns about the one near me. I’ve stopped using it because of my suspicions, but it’s very difficult to prove anything obviously.

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  220k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  183k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  92k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  153k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#71598 ONLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 36,945 posts
  • 141 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

The nearest one to me are proper grafters and really nice lads. They emptied the back seats of my minging car and forgot to give me my cycle helmet back by mistake. Went back and they couldn't be nicer or more apologetic.

Good luck to anyone who wants to work in all weathers getting cold and piss wet through.

• Lord Sterling, taxi paul and Exiled_Tat_Gatherer like this
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#71599 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

Oooh Gary Davies.

• Full Members
  • 6,489 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationOn the bog reading Car Mechanics

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

The nearest one to me are proper grafters and really nice lads. They emptied the back seats of my minging car and forgot to give me my cycle helmet back by mistake. Went back and they couldn't be nicer or more apologetic.

Good luck to anyone who wants to work in all weathers getting cold and piss wet through.

Indeed. I hate washing cars and for a tenner..............

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1998 R 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

​2002 318Ci Convertible. E46 crap for breaking.

​We apologise for the continued delay. Your call is still held in a queue. Please have your reference number ready for the advisor. Your call will be answered as soon as possible.

#71600 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

Get a Horse in

• Full Members
  • 4,289 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationHe'll nail it first time

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

Following from a previous grump Parkette is having a full on breakdown in France on her college trip and the tutors have asked us to go and get her.

I am grumpy because I was told a special needs co-ordinator was attending the event - turns out she is just an administrator from the office rather than a SEN person and she can't cope.

So early tomorrow Mrs P and I are on a mercy dash to Paris. Had to buy all the required paraphernalia to satisfy Les Flics which pissed me off considering my mate has mine and can't find it, at least Eurotunnel have a one day special for £10 a trip tomorrow which takes some of the sting out of the costs.

And to think that Parkette was rejected for PIP as the ATOS nurse thought there was nothing wrong with her. At least having to drop everything and go to Paris will undoubtedly be a handy piece of evidence that Parkette isn't "completely normal". Tribunal is on March 5th and I have to say I am very much looking forward to DWP Drone versus Mrs P.
  • richardthestag and stephen01 like this

#71601 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 5,469 posts
  • 31 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

wants to work in all weathers getting cold and piss wet through.

Unfortunately “wants” is questionable in a lot of them isn’t it?
  • cobblers likes this
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

#71602 OFFLINE   scaryoldcortina

scaryoldcortina

• Full Members
  • 5,444 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationUnderground, overground. Wombling free....

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

And to think that Parkette was rejected for PIP as the ATOS nurse thought there was nothing wrong with her. At least having to drop everything and go to Paris will undoubtedly be a handy piece of evidence that Parkette isn't "completely normal". Tribunal is on March 5th and I have to say I am very much looking forward to DWP Drone versus Mrs P.

£10 says the DWP don't even show and the panel award you high rate care without even hearing arguments.

Hope it goes well in france, you have my sympathies.
  • andrew e, richardthestag, Parky and 2 others like this

#71603 OFFLINE   Parky

Parky

Get a Horse in

• Full Members
  • 4,289 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationHe'll nail it first time

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

Cheers. News is full of genuine claimants losing their benefits and the Government admitting the system is flawed so hopefully the magistrate wont be Ian Duncan-Smiths best mate...

I have heard the DWP often don't show but they can send Kavanagh QC and Rumpole of the Fucking Bailey if they want to - we can easily prove Parkettes Autism issues, I look forward to them explaining how her condition has no ill effects on her life or the lives of those around her and how she can easily cope with independence.

#71604 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 763 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

.... to think that Parkette was rejected for PIP as the ATOS nurse thought there was nothing wrong with her.....

From what I understand, ATOSsers are effectively paid on the basis of how many candidates they can assess as fit to work. Hardly surprising, then, that you have to be practically dead before you are assessed as qualifying for PIPs. ATOSser's "failure rate" (in terms of rejections that were later reversed on appeal) ran as high as 30% at one stage. One of the many deficiencies is that the assessors are frequently either not medically-qualified or have insufficient experience/knowledge in the area or specialism that affects the Applicant, e.g. mental health.

#71605 OFFLINE   MikeR

MikeR

• Full Members
  • 507 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationFormby

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

today I was on another mission , not a disabled old lady stuck in a broken down car this time , the in law had a blocked bank card at the petrol station and 2 jobsworths behind the counter wanted paying for petrol , short story is it took her some 40 minutes to ring me to go and pay the bill for the petrol , took me another 30 minutes to get there ...... they could not fill in a cant pay form as no one in charge was present ... its a petrol station FFS what if a situation occurred , cant use the fire extinguisher no one to authorise it !!

I did advise her afterwards that I would of written an IOU with my name and address on a piece of paper , slapped it on the counter and walked out .... they cant hold you , they cant seize your goods or you can report them for assault  ....  and they have a piece of paper to wave  at the police , who will no doubt be pissed off with having bow down to 2 jobsworths and give you a call ,

if you loose your cat , a very useful search term is not "lost pussy"

#71606 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 732 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

I am grumpy because I was told a special needs co-ordinator was attending the event - turns out she is just an administrator from the office rather than a SEN person and she can't cope.

Dislike. That sucks.

I recognise that schools are exceedingly short of the folding stuff, and try their very best to accommodate students of all needs and abilities in their extra-curricular activities, but this is an example of how things can go badly wrong when key staff aren't there and someone without sufficient skills is drafted in on the cheap.

While I was working as a teaching assistant in Sussex I often found myself bricking it as the designated SEN specialist on school trips, supporting kids with Downs and ASD despite having no actual training beyond what I'd picked up on the job. Thankfully I was never required to go overseas, or had to deal with any particularly challenging situations, but no-one's a winner here.

At risk of making assumptions about a family I know nowt about, it seems to me that it was pretty brave of Parkette to put herself forward for this trip, and underlines that while her wants and desires are just the same as anyone else her age, getting appropriate support is absolutely essential for her to successfully do the things she wants. It seems DWP and the school haven't quite grasped this.

Hope you all get to France and back safely, and the one silver lining may be that you'll have some fairly serious ammo to take with you into the DWP tribunal.

Take care.

• chaseracer, Parky, myglaren and 5 others like this

#71607 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,389 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

today I was on another mission , not a disabled old lady stuck in a broken down car this time , the in law had a blocked bank card at the petrol station and 2 jobsworths behind the counter wanted paying for petrol , short story is it took her some 40 minutes to ring me to go and pay the bill for the petrol , took me another 30 minutes to get there ...... they could not fill in a cant pay form as no one in charge was present ... its a petrol station FFS what if a situation occurred , cant use the fire extinguisher no one to authorise it !!
I did advise her afterwards that I would of written an IOU with my name and address on a piece of paper , slapped it on the counter and walked out .... they cant hold you , they cant seize your goods or you can report them for assault  ....  and they have a piece of paper to wave  at the police , who will no doubt be pissed off with having bow down to 2 jobsworths and give you a call ,

At work our company vans come with a BP fuel card. One day I filled the Sprinter up (75L diesel) went in to pay with the fuel card but the card had somehow become fucked and wouldn't accept on the till. Tried it loads of times but nothing.
In the end I told the cashier I'd have to just owe them and come back later to pay them back. They were perfectly fine with it! I even offered to leave them my details and the dead fuel card so they had hard proof of my details and the vans reg number etc but they said not to worry.
My boss went back later that day with his company credit card and payed that way.

Just goes to show some people really are just awkward jobsworths.
  • Lord Sterling, myglaren and alf892 like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#71608 ONLINE   Mally

Mally

• Full Members
  • 1,656 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

Depends on the boss.

Some people may get the sack for giving fuel without payment, or risk it being taken from their own wages.

My son once lent a can to someone who had run out, had cash to pay for fuel, but not enough to buy a  can.

They didn't bring the can back, his wage was deducted.

#71609 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 12,603 posts
  • 35 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:54 PM

I seem to have broken several of my payment cards! My Barclay's debit has been dead for a month or so now, keep meaning to get that replaced. Put £50 of BP's shittest diesel in the gooner this morning and my credit card (i use it for 2 tanks a month and pay it off) wasn't even registering in the machine, it just gave me a straight out 'card error'. Gr9 at 8.50 in a packed place with no other means of payment...

Luckily the lady pushed a button and gave me a pen and a receipt! Just like the good old days. Then I had to get my driving lisence as I'd as I've not signed the credit card...

Turns out my cards sit in my wallet right under a popper. My fat arse on my wallet has punched the cards up, and now their bent... Credit card works contact less, which is no use over £30, Barclay's debit doesn't work at all.

Barclay's can suck it, I have a Monzo account now which I'll get my wages switched to and close the Barclay's account, need to ring lloyds and get a new card and then a new wallet!
<p>2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)<br>
2008 <strike>orl</strike> Vauxhall<strike>s</strike> <strike>r Shit</strike> Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#71610 ONLINE   angle

angle

• Full Members
  • 216 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

It turns out I owe my insurance company an apology. When I moved house about a year ago, I posted a moan up here about my premium almost doubling, despite moving half a mile down the road. So, this morning before I went to work, I got the T-cut out to sort where someone had scraped the bumper corner of the Laguna, while a Vectra parked four cars up got dragged off after someone had driven into it and left the front wheel pointing 45 degrees away from where it should be.

I've just got back from work and been to get my phone charger from the eddyramrod Saab.

Tqy52Ek.jpg

For FUCKS sake.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

7 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

loserone, bramz7, Nyphur, cobblers, alcyonecorporation, r.welfare, BenHar