Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Grumpy Old Man thread

• Please log in to reply
70279 replies to this topic

#69871 OFFLINE   MarvinsMom

MarvinsMom

• Full Members
  • 5,668 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNorth Yorks

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

I have a degree in civil engineering, but I've never practiced it nor went the route of chartered engineer. I thought it was only those that passed the chartered exams that were 'allowed' to use the title engineer.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

i've got a degree in civil engineering, and work in the design office of a steel fabricator.

my official job title is structural engineer.

but i've never ever had even the slightest inclination to try and pass the part 3 exam and "become" a chartered engineer.

• meshking likes this
Current Fleet-
1974 Mini 1000 PROJECT
1996 Lexus Ls400 IT LIVES!!
2001 Rover 75 CDT Tourer
1997 Rover Mini Cooper Sport
1995 Jaguar XJR-6 SOLD
1989 Austin Metro

#69872 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 4,750 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

My aunt sadly had a similar fate late last year. Went to the doctors with a persistent cough.
Diagnosis was terminal and in 3 months she was gone.
She was in her eighties but had been in rude health up to that point.
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#69873 OFFLINE   AlabamaShrimp

AlabamaShrimp

• Full Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationWakefield

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

There's been years of work into cancer but what makes people get it?

I'm not well read on it and I know there's all the obvious stuff to avoid but it just seems so common now that surely there must be other things happening apart from don't eat or drink this that or the other.

#69874 OFFLINE   Hendry

Hendry

Hendry

• Full Members
  • 2,534 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow-ish

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

Fixing interior faults like bulbs and loose wiring, why is it when you need to remove trim to access them, the fucking trim always ends up getting broken/damaged when refitting it because the clips and pegs and locators are made out of chocolate and just bend, break, snap or split. Grrrrrr. 

Previous Car History:

97 R Vauxhall Astra 1.6 LS

02 51 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX

04 04 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

98 S Hyundai Accent 1.3 Si Coupe

05 55 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SXi

02 52 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Comfort

97 P Volkswagen Golf 1.4 SE

05 05 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Design

09 59 Renault Clio 1.2 Dynamique

15 15 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SRi

09 09 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0 CR TDi Sport 140bhp (Current)

#69875 OFFLINE   mat_the_cat

mat_the_cat

• Full Members
  • 3,452 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationRiding the trough of the fashion wave

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

My thoughts exactly. From what I can tell there are quite a few factors which will increase the risk, but there must be more to it than that as I know of people who logically would be high risk, yet live to a ripe old age. And others who you'd think would be a safe bet, yet they shuffle off early. So I suspect there is a lot which science doesn't yet fully understand.

In other news, my (relatively minor) grump is the amount of salt on the roads despite only a handful of true frosts. I'm getting through 5 litres of screenwash a week!

#69876 ONLINE   RayMK

RayMK

• Full Members
  • 748 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationMidlands

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

I'm not well read on it and I know there's all the obvious stuff to avoid but it just seems so common now that surely there must be other things happening apart from don't eat or drink this that or the other.

I think part of the problem is that we are living longer, giving cancer, alzheimers and other nasties time to strike. In the good old days, typhoid, tuberculosis, smallpox, and illnesses caused by poor living and working conditions tended to thin out the population before the often subtle symptoms of cancer were even noticed.

• Vin, DeeJay, mat_the_cat and 2 others like this

#69877 ONLINE   The Moog

The Moog

rusty old Starlet

• Staff
  • 6,987 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

It's not one thing. It's many different forms which have been bundled together.

That's why there is no one cure. In car terms it is like saying we want to cure car breakdowns. Loads of different reasons so not one way to fix it.

Cancer itself is cells growing out of control.

We survive by cells dying and being replaced all the time. They normally replace the dead ones and stop.

Cancer means they don't stop and keep growing causing damage to other parts of us.

The longer we live the more likely it is to effect us - mainly because there are more opportunities for it to occur with cell replication.

Chance of bladder cancer for men is 3.76% which means 1 in 27 men will get it.

In the US 1 in 3 men will get some form of cancer - hence why it touches us all.

That is sort of the basics - worth having a read around.
  • Pillock, Craig the Princess, mat_the_cat and 3 others like this

2000 - Ford Poo ma 
2003 - Getz 

#69878 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Full Members
  • 15,143 posts
  • 50 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Moog, that's a good starter for 10 in language I can understand.

It is weird that it seems so much more common these days - but people live longer and diagnosis is getting better. In the black and white days, sometimes people just died. That wouldn't be accepted now, so maybe it just went undiagnosed.

#69879 ONLINE   Mr_Bo11ox

Mr_Bo11ox

• Full Members
  • 23,204 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • LocationUttoxeter/Derby

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

There is a flippin fantastic book called 'the emperor of all maladies' all about cancer. It's sort of a history of cancer, discoveries and treatment, a bit of biology, bit of history, politics, the lot. I would say it's one of the best-written and most interesting books I have ever read. It teaches you what Moog has just said plus loads more. As Moog says, although we use one word for them all, 'cancer' is an almost infinite number of different problems, all with their own best way to avoid/manage/treat etc. I seriously cannot recommend that book enough.
  • Pillock, richardthestag and The Moog like this

PIGEONZ NEST

CHECK OUT MY AWARD-WINNING SHITE-FIXING BLOG HERE

"THE 2.3 POWERTRAIN IS A SILENT IS AS A FISH, AND IT PULLS LIKE A GREAT"
"The engine has airbrushed skulls on it"

"Car shows are full of mentals talking tosh"

"I promised her I would waxoyl her Polo"

#69880 ONLINE   The Moog

The Moog

rusty old Starlet

• Staff
  • 6,987 posts
  • 30 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

It's an odd stat that over 50% men over 60 die with prostate cancer.

Mostly it isn't the thing that is the cause of death.

It is also why stem cells are brilliant/scary. Implanting new cells that can grow into anything sounds wonderful, but unless they know what to turn into and also know to turn off then effectively you are increasing the cancer chance hugely .

2000 - Ford Poo ma 
2003 - Getz 

#69881 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 5,933 posts
  • 44 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

It's also not just Humans or even mammals who get it. Most living creatures can. Even sharks:
2d9860224-shark-tumors-use.nbcnews-ux-28
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#69882 OFFLINE   bub2006

bub2006

• Full Members
  • 7,870 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Locationderbyshire

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:20 AM

Car insurance gone up. Apparently I failed to declare an at fault claim on the 24th of February 2016. The s reg ford fiesta I briefly bought after the van crash that I insured and drove once to the MOT station and back was involved in an at fault incident. First I knew about it. Something on the cue database. So now I have to ring Aviva/Norwich union to find out more info and get it removed from cue then ring Lloyd's and give them proof. FFS. To top it off my housing benefits have been suspended due to the fact I'm in arrears. I'm in arrears because the council arsed my claim up. I'm also paying the arrears off. So it's apparently logical to cause more financial difficulty to someone already in financial difficulty by suspending my claim which in turn will cause more arrears. Fucking fan dabby dozy

#69883 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 10,775 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

Logic doesn't come into it.  Nothing about the benefits system has been logical for some time now.

#69884 ONLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 36,326 posts
  • 136 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:55 AM

Not sure if I should post this here, but my aunt died rather suddenly yesterday. I'm not posting this for sympathy, but more to highlight the fact that you never know when your time will come.

She went into hospital on Wednesday complaining of constantly being sick, Thursday was diagnosed with terminal cancer in the lymphatic system, and died peacefully in the early hours of Friday morning. At least there was no long drawn-out suffering, and still a massive surprise at 61.

We've still not recycled our Christmas cards, and on looking back at the one she sent us she'd written "Best wishes for the New Year". That really brought it home how unexpected it can be, not realising that in less than a month's time she wouldn't be with us.

So go out and do those things you've always wanted to do, live life with as few regrets as possible! Give your loved one(s) a hug and cherish the time you have :-)

FWIW that's awful news, Mat, and you have my deepest sympathies.

• mat_the_cat likes this
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#69885 ONLINE   fraser.innes.3

fraser.innes.3

• Full Members
  • 350 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationHerefordshire

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:38 AM

Not sure if I should post this here, but my aunt died rather suddenly yesterday. I'm not posting this for sympathy, but more to highlight the fact that you never know when your time will come.

She went into hospital on Wednesday complaining of constantly being sick, Thursday was diagnosed with terminal cancer in the lymphatic system, and died peacefully in the early hours of Friday morning. At least there was no long drawn-out suffering, and still a massive surprise at 61.

We've still not recycled our Christmas cards, and on looking back at the one she sent us she'd written "Best wishes for the New Year". That really brought it home how unexpected it can be, not realising that in less than a month's time she wouldn't be with us.

So go out and do those things you've always wanted to do, live life with as few regrets as possible! Give your loved one(s) a hug and cherish the time you have :-)

I know how you feel. I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer in November. He had some pain , so went to the doctors. Some scans showed pancreatic cancer. New scans 2 weeks later showed it had spread to his liver. He was gone 3 months and a day after first diagnosis. Christmas was bad this year, as my mum was without her husband for the first time in 55 years.i suppose I should have posted this up in this thread when it happened, but a lot was going in obviously.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

#69886 ONLINE   fraser.innes.3

fraser.innes.3

• Full Members
  • 350 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationHerefordshire

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:42 AM

Just had a wee cry about my dad after commenting on Mat's post. That's allowed, isn't it?

• M'coli, richardthestag and purplebargeken like this

#69887 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 4,214 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

Guys that come and check new upvc windows that have been thrown in are called engineers too apparently. Confirmed, legit, when he rolled up on his steam engine... Not.

As a Chartered Engineer it kind of boils my piss, but only a little.

I believe that I'm fairly mediocre as an Engineer, but managing to get Chartered was really more luck than judgement.

Did very bad at A levels including failing maths.

Managed to get onto a HND at Coventry Poly

Worked balls off and at end of 1st year transferred straight to 2nd year of Honours Degree, which was accredited by IProDE

Did my year in Industry which was accredited.

Passed with a Desmond (2:2) and went to work at Lucas Engineering and Systems where their graduate scheme was accredited by IManfE (Nee IProdE).  

Filled in and had signed every page of log book.

Work involved collaboration with a few universities.

5 years later I applied to IEE (Now the IET) with a 4 sponsors including a Past President of IProdE, 2 Professors (and university department heads and a Dr someone - all of them Fellows of IEE or IMechE.

All I'd done was turn up for work and document (with a little spin) what I'd done.

The interview went well because I bought all sorts of bits and drawings and stuff that I'd worked on, and retired Engineers like to see that kind of thing.

#69888 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 4,214 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

My son worked on Cancer cures for his year in industry on his MChem, which basically ruled out 0.0000000001% of potential cures as not worth looking at further.

#69889 OFFLINE   bub2006

bub2006

• Full Members
  • 7,870 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Locationderbyshire

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Not sure if I should post this here, but my aunt died rather suddenly yesterday. I'm not posting this for sympathy, but more to highlight the fact that you never know when your time will come.

Thoughts are with you. I've lost two aunts recently. One just before Christmas,one just after. Both aged 52 both cancer. I agree that life can be fleeting. Never know what is coming
  • mat_the_cat likes this

#69890 OFFLINE   bub2006

bub2006

• Full Members
  • 7,870 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • Locationderbyshire

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Just had a wee cry about my dad after commenting on Mat's post. That's allowed, isn't it?

I lost my mum when I was 8. She was 32. I still expect her to come back. I've found a little cry helps buddy.
  • richardthestag, mat_the_cat, fraser.innes.3 and 1 other like this

#69891 OFFLINE   M'coli

M'coli

• Full Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

Mat_the_cat, my condolences too - I lost my father to non-Hodgkins lymphoma when he was 63, it's a bit of a bugger.
  • mat_the_cat likes this

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#69892 OFFLINE   neil1971

neil1971

• Full Members
  • 257 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

This happened to my dad, from whom I inherited my interest in things automotive. On 19th January this year it will be 30 years since he died, aged just 44 and three years younger than I am now. My thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones.

I know how you feel. I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer in November. He had some pain , so went to the doctors. Some scans showed pancreatic cancer. New scans 2 weeks later showed it had spread to his liver. He was gone 3 months and a day after first diagnosis. Christmas was bad this year, as my mum was without her husband for the first time in 55 years.i suppose I should have posted this up in this thread when it happened, but a lot was going in obviously.

Thanks for sharing.

#69893 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

• Full Members
  • 3,197 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationBirminghamshireton

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

As I have a c&g in carpentry AND joinery can I call myself a wood engineer ? 

I prefer timber technician myself.

ah a wood butcher

runs to hide

07 Civic spaceship- daily
93 Renner 19 RNi- sulking
89 Sunnay L premium- hiding
14 Poojoe 208 ehdi feline- works (1 of 10) 17/67 Voxhell MokkachinoX 6 of them

I still haven't figured out what the custard bollocked two bob knob weasel actually does, and I strongly suspect I never will.

#69894 OFFLINE   Noel Tidybeard

Noel Tidybeard

• Full Members
  • 3,197 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationBirminghamshireton

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Milwall are playing today. Lot of pressure on parking in the area...some interesting parking 

you can bet if they'd park on the pavement they would've been ticketed already!

07 Civic spaceship- daily
93 Renner 19 RNi- sulking
89 Sunnay L premium- hiding
14 Poojoe 208 ehdi feline- works (1 of 10) 17/67 Voxhell MokkachinoX 6 of them

I still haven't figured out what the custard bollocked two bob knob weasel actually does, and I strongly suspect I never will.

#69895 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 889 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

Mat_the_cat, my condolences too - I lost my father to non-Hodgkins lymphoma when he was 63, it's a bit of a bugger.

My ex wife was diagnosed with that in 2004, mainly because it was caught early-her GP sent her for tests after she went to see him. Had to undergo a long and intense period of radiotherapy.

She was told that the recovery rate 10 years earlier was 1 in 100 - when she was diagnosed it was up to 98 in 100.

Still grumpy that there are still1% that wont survive.

2005 Saab 9-5 with Noobtune/Abbott/Maptun upgrades .

2000 Mercedes S202 shiter, work in progress.

1994 Citroen AX, my winter bike.

#69896 ONLINE   BoggyMires

BoggyMires

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 59 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationThe A14

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

I find recently that I no longer enjoy things like Xbox, I see it as a waste of time... I loved Xbox...? House to myself last night, switched it on and played for about an hour before getting mind numbingly bored, played something else... Bored instantly, looked at another game... Looked boring.

I thought about a film, go get some beer, order pizza... Na, the saving of £30 was too attractive so I made a cup of tea and internetted whilst on a cross trainer... Thought about building a mini gym in the garden.

Looked at some new clobber, put stuff in me basket then closed the page, more £££ saved. My eBay basket keeps reminding me that it's empty... Empty!

Transferred spare cash to an account I don't have access to... it'll be safe there I thinks...Wtf?

House to myself still... Think I'll get up and make some tea...!

Don't know if you've noticed but... I THINK IM TURNING INTO A TIGHT OLD GIT!

• myglaren, alf892, tooSavvy and 11 others like this

1986 BMW 635CSi - Works but doesn't work

1998 BMW E36 318i Touring - Works

2001 Land Rover Discovery V8 - Works

#69897 OFFLINE   puddlethumper

puddlethumper

• Full Members
  • 513 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

ah a wood butcher

runs to hide

Where's he gone !! Wood butcher indeed. I'll get him when he pops his beard up, later.

#69898 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 3,785 posts
  • 45 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Where's he gone !! Wood butcher indeed. I'll get him when he pops his beard up, later.

I've worked with a very good chippy who had been known on occasion to cut hip rafters with a chain saw!!

#69899 ONLINE   DVee8

DVee8

• Full Members
  • 5,573 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationOn the settee

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:06 PM

Fooking Cancer

A work mate went to see his doctor at the beginning of December,complaining about a sore throat.

Diagnosed with terminal cancer 3-6 months.

Died 2nd January same age as me 47,leaves 3 kids 10-17.

Just rolling along

Daimler 250 V8 1968

BMW 320dGT M-Sport.

Nissan X-Trail N-tec

#69900 ONLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 5,155 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Fooking Cancer
A work mate went to see his doctor at the beginning of December,complaining about a sore throat.
Diagnosed with terminal cancer 3-6 months.
Died 2nd January same age as me 47,leaves 3 kids 10-17.

:-( shit, that’s seriously bad news.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

10 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

anonymous user, fraser.innes.3, DeeJay, CanaryinManc, Al Bundy, Bing (1), 72_square, dean36014, bramz7, jumpingjehovahs, SiC