Styled in Italy, built in Britain - The story of the blue Ital Van

trigger

Or even better the 2.0 as briefly offered in the Ital.

I think the vans were only offered with 1.1 and 1.3 A series.

There is this 1.7 pickup about, rebuilt from a wrecked saloon with quite an interesting backstory that featured in the aforementioned mag.

35303423860_29bf9fa646_c.jpg

1978 Morris Marina 1.7 HL pickup by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

And a couple of pickups still working for a living. This one has spent its whole life on a potato farm and took first prize at last year's FOTU.

28232962770_f750f75fc4_c.jpg

1981 Morris Marina 575 pickup by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

This one appeared at the FOTU this year covered in brick dust

36107100061_7fc6a34b62_c.jpg

1983 Morris Ital 575 pickup by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

I love the "Styled in Italy" claim.

Yeah, the first 6 inches of car maybe.

Not even that. Ital Design's only input was to take Harris Mann's facelift idea and ready it for production. That's why it has a 'corporate' nose, like the Ambassador. Why Ital Design didn't sue, I've no idea. BL just went along with the myth that the car now had Italian styling!

Seeing that Proffesionals van with slotted wheels, reminded me that 7cwt vans had saloon type wheels but the bigger payload (9cwt ?) and pickups always had solid , slightly wider or at least different offset rims.

Somewhere in the dusty recesses of my brain, I think there's more to it than just wheel design, different axles maybe?

Possibly the reason you see more pickups/vans with alloys or MGB rims than saloons.

Also a mate was given a brand new Ital van as an apprentice sparky for EMEB, we never* towed a 3.0 Capri at up to 80mph from Oswestry to Milton Keynes with wallpaper masking taped over the sign writing .

I'm told these share the same rear axle as a MGB, lower ratio so it can tow the heavier weight meaning quicker acceleration but rubbish top end.

I quite like a cool set of wheels for it seeing as all the tyres are shagged but to keep costs down I'm tempted to just get a set of part worns fitted instead.

I'm told these share the same rear axle as a MGB, lower ratio so it can tow the heavier weight meaning quicker acceleration but rubbish top end.

I quite like a cool set of wheels for it seeing as all the tyres are shagged but to keep costs down I'm tempted to just get a set of part worns fitted instead.

Wire wheels it is then!

Ebay Gumtree MongSwapz is full of wheel/tyre combos of ROstyles and stuff

Rather than shod those old rims, buy a good set of the lot

Otherwise, knock-on wires will need knocked-off hubs, as they are quite expensive

I like that 'vanne. Check out the sales display in that travel-shop window.

I could be wrong but I think Hotpoint-brown was a darker brown for their vans. That sort of early 80s plasticky dark brown still seen today on some vintage cooker-hoods and double-glazing surrounds.

I've been offered a set of MGB Rostyles with good tyres and chrome trims for £100 but I don't think they will suit it.

050316-Barn-Finds-1982-Morris-Marina-2-6

Yes, too Seventies - needs a proper Marina. 

Ital does not have the extra brightwork to carry it off.  Ital is all SinclairResearch-esque black plastics