Datsuncog's Heaps: Sept 2023 - Another Year's T-Met Exemption Certificate...

Datsuncog

You massive winner. 

Basically a taller Impreza, think the engine is detuned a bit to maybe 180bhp vs 220, you can probably get it remapped for more if you like. 

Should still be brisk enough either way. 

When I had my Impreza with basically the same engine, it did 18.7mpg over the 1500 or so miles I tracked. 

Most of that was driving round town, some of which was at least moderately spirited.

My record for a tank was 23.5mpg. 

Very worth it though.

On 4/25/2018 at 12:40 PM, SiC said:

I wouldn't particularly worry about the decision on continuing this thread or not. This car is likely to not need many updates as it'll just get its job done without a lot of fuss.

Boring for us. But great for you.

Never fear... if all works out with the Impreza On Stilts, I won't be letting the lack of involuntary spannering get in the way of updates here.

I've a fair few tales I could tell about each of my useless, rusting heaps set out below - unwise overseas collections; moronic runs to the South of France in a car that blew its head gasket 20 minutes into the journey but we pressed on anyway; wallowing across central Australia in a Cairo Taxi; the gentle art of motoring with all your windows smashed out; oh yes...

Maybe when I'm not spending my evenings lying on the gravel under an ungrateful lump of frogchod, you may care to gather close and I'll tell you a story or three...

Plus: I've promised Mrs DC that this summer I will renovate her Mk1 Yaris, owned from new. It's super-reliable, but after thirteen years of mixing it in city traffic (and parking around Belfast's Holylands) old OKZ rivals KAZ for looking like it's come off badly in a backstreet brawl with a bunch of tooled-up Ukrainian gangsters. With the challenge thrown down that I can't possibly make it look any worse, plans are afoot involving rattlecans... input and suggestions from these fair boards would be welcomed.

20180114_142814.jpg

On 4/25/2018 at 12:35 PM, Dave_Q said:

You massive winner. 

Basically a taller Impreza, think the engine is detuned a bit to maybe 180bhp vs 220, you can probably get it remapped for more if you like. 

Should still be brisk enough either way. 

When I had my Impreza with basically the same engine, it did 18.7mpg over the 1500 or so miles I tracked. 

Most of that was driving round town, some of which was at least moderately spirited.

My record for a tank was 23.5mpg. 

Very worth it though.

It does feel quite brisk! Quite a throaty howl from that Boxer unit on giving it a bit of welly. Maybe it's just going from a 1-litre Yaris into this, but I really wasn't expecting it to sound so... rally-like.

MateyPeeps who's selling it has only owned it for six weeks - which initially set off a cacophony of alarm bells, but he assures me it's because someone ran into his BMW while it was parked in the street, and he just needed something to tide him over until the insurance sorted out the repairs (now done). This is his third Forester; he reckons it's the best driving one he's had, but he can't keep it and the BMW - so now that it's pulled him out of a hole, it's time for it to go.

Bit of a drop link rattle starting over speed bumps, back box is holed and there's a wee bit of bubbling at the lower corner of the rear doorframes, but there's a big history file with it and everything seems to work, so all indications are it hasn't been horribly abused.

I've previously run a redblock Volvo 240 as a daily, so I'm no stranger to alarming fuel consumption... can't say the Pinto-powered Cortina was much to write home about for economy either! I won't be running this one about town, but it might get us down to deepest, darkest rural Cavan in more comfort and speed than the Yaris or Laguna might.

I'm feeling kinda optimistic and horrified in equal measure, as I always am when buying a new car... there's a significant level of terror in sinking significant money into such fragile things as motorcars. Even though the Forester seems anything but 'fragile'.

Nicely done! I quite fancy a Subaru one day and thought about a Legacy until the Saab turned up.

Scary fuel consumption is fine in a car that you're not using to commute - I'm sure I remember you saying you have the option to walk to the station so consider it a fun/weekend car. That's my excuse for the Saab, anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers, dude!

Keep the old fingers 'n' toes crossed... still can't quite believe I'm doing this. After only buying <£300 motors for the past five years, I'm now panicking that I've missed something critical and it's actually a nailed-up deathtrap. Though I don't think so...

Yep, reckon this'll be very much a fun car; I'd thought Mrs DC might be interested in running it as a daily since

a ) she's the one with a forty-mile motorway commute each day, currently undertaken in a Yaris 1.0; and

b ) it was her idea to get a Forester

but she says she's no interest in increasing her fuel costs, so a weekend beater it shall be.

It's a nice enough walk to the station at the minute: buds bursting forth from the trees, just-fledged blackbirds and sparrows taking their first wobbly flights.

But, walking more, I'm shocked/surprised to hear just how many cars go past making the most appalling noises signalling much mechanical unhappiness.

The suspension on a sc3n3'd Bora yesterday morning generated more groans than the jokes from a box of Asda Smartprice Christmas crackers, while the frantic top-end knock from a green Astra D that passes me each morning makes TAZ's death-rattle sound like the soothing babble of a limpid brook...

I also do quite like the Legacy Outback, too... I wouldn't rule it out!

There's a very smart K11 Micra living opposite. I heard it start up for the first time today, and the starter motor made a noise like an especially worried foghorn when it disengaged.

Mind you, the PAS pump on my Saab groans like the spooky door opening in a black-and-white horror movie at full lock but I'm happily ignoring it all the time it's actually working properly.

I'm feeling kinda optimistic and horrified in equal measure, as I always am when buying a new car... there's a significant level of terror in sinking significant money into such fragile things as motorcars. Even though the Forester seems anything but 'fragile'.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I become super sensible with cars I've not had long. As many on here have probably noticed...

Never fear... if all works out with the Impreza On Stilts, I won't be letting the lack of involuntary spannering get in the way of updates here.

I've a fair few tales I could tell about each of my useless, rusting heaps set out below - unwise overseas collections; moronic runs to the South of France in a car that blew its head gasket 20 minutes into the journey but we pressed on anyway; wallowing across central Australia in a Cairo Taxi; the gentle art of motoring with all your windows smashed out; oh yes...

Maybe when I'm not spending my evenings lying on the gravel under an ungrateful lump of frogchod, you may care to gather close and I'll tell you a story or three...

Plus: I've promised Mrs DC that this summer I will renovate her Mk1 Yaris, owned from new. It's super-reliable, but after thirteen years of mixing it in city traffic (and parking around Belfast's Holylands) old OKZ rivals KAZ for looking like it's come off badly in a backstreet brawl with a bunch of Ukrainian gangsters. With the challenge thrown down that I can't possibly make it look any worse, plans are afoot involving rattlecans... input and suggestions from these fair boards would be welcomed.

attachicon.gif20180114_142814.jpg

Ha ha I can believe it - used to live all over the shop in the Holylands.  Fitzroy/Magdala/Lawrence/Eblana/Cromwell etc etc.  Then up round Malone too.  Long time ago now - I hear it's rough as dogs these days....

COLLEKSHUN COMPLETED

Very little of interest; 22 mile round trip (driving both ways). Passenger spotted OMG LUCKY RAINBOW.

20180425_212807.jpg

Vehicle as found. Vendor possibly watching footie; hence not much fancying hanging about in the rain for a chat. Fearsomely thick envelope of banknotes handed over. My second most expensive car purchase ever ever (most expensive being the Alfa 156, the sorry tale of which accounts for at least 78% of my raised anxiety levels). Yerk. Many butterflies, such worry. This is why I don't buy and sell cars for fun. IT'S HORRIBLE AND SCARY.

20180425_212316.jpg

Turning ignition produces more scary. This engine has a serious roar off it. I hope it's a case of TADTS, rather than "it's fucked, but I'm too stoopid to realise".

It is quite thunderously rally-like for something I always wrote off as just a big wardrobe on wheels.

Off I go in L'il Thunder, Mrs DC providing safety car back-up in the Yaris.

Other than a mild introduction to the thrills of torque steer as I boot it a teensy bit too hard on the curved M2 onslip at York Rd, then back off the throttle in terror as the turbo spools up, the journey back is relatively uneventful.

Steering wheel droops a little to the left, suggesting the tracking needs looked at; aircon is not very cold. Not sure whether the washer bottle's empty, or I'm pulling the wrong stalk. Or it's bust. Some trim from around the sunroof appears to be missing whenever the cover's slid back, but all electrical gubbins appear to work ok.

Insanely pleased with the cup holder. I have craved a cup holder for decades but never had one in any of my cars. Life goals = winning.

HOME

20180425_203925.jpg

20180425_204156.jpg

CAT IS IMPRES

20180425_212545.jpg

This is coming off.

20180425_203831.jpg

This is coming off too.

20180425_203837.jpg

Blebbage.

20180425_203819.jpg

Cuckoo in the Rennernest...

20180425_203856.jpg

Rain and dark discouraged further exploration. Plenty of reading material for later, mind.

20180425_210149.jpg

VERDICT: Rubbish collection thread. Car probably okay. Driver needs to apply himself more. May improve once The Terror departs.

Thank you to all for your kind words and encouragement! I'm hopeful this new arrival will bring some amusement to myself and other denizens of the Beige Forum...

(Rather staccato post brought to you by my annoying phone)

I'm trying to think back about the washers, you might have to press in a button on the end of the stalk instead of / as well as pulling them it in the traditional fashion.

Looks GR12.

Regarding a best of the threads type thread, I did start one which got a few entries, here it is.

http://autoshite.com/topic/26839-solid-beige-threads/

They do go surprisingly well for something that size, especially given the supposed "detuned" state of them.

Scared the pants off me the first time I booted one out of a junction, and despite my steering right, the thing just went straight on.

Reckon they're good motors, remember access for some jobs being a pig on the Impreza, but I've never done anything beyond an oil and filter change on these so can't comment.

Biggest complaint? The sheer amount of grey they manage to cram into the interior, and some of the plastics make those in the Lada seem high quality...so don't be massively surprised if you find a few bits of cracked trim. Kind of like a 90s Plaxton coach... something's far wrong if there's not some broken plastic in the cab.

Ah, DVLA... why dost thou mock me so...

VEHICLE TAX 1.png

VEHICLE TAX 2.png

I mean - I've gone to the section marked "Taxing a vehicle as a new keeper", so I find it hard to understand that I'm then informed I can't tax it online - because I'm a new keeper.

Insurer only works by snailmail, despite being a big outfit, so... does this mean that, despite the fact the car is covered as of yesterday afternoon, I can't actually tax and drive the damn thing until such time as a bit of paper arrives in the post, sometime at the back end of next week, and then make the trek to one of the few Post Offices that still offer this service??

Yeesh.

Well purchased dude....... another on my 'one day' list. I may have missed it - but I take it this is the more often found auto version. I'd love a manual if I ever see one that isn't ex Colin Mcrea wannabe owned.

I loved my mates when I had it for a weekend - didn't give a flying one when it drank petrol like a metropolitan wino on steroids. Just filled up and tore off into the sunset........

Has the cambelt been done or is it a job looming? Every one I've see no for sale always warns its bloody due, and apparently it's a bitch......

Look forward to updates.

attachicon.gifVEHICLE TAX 1.png

attachicon.gifVEHICLE TAX 2.png

I mean - I've gone to the section marked "Taxing a vehicle as a new keeper", so I find it hard to understand that I'm then informed I can't tax it online - because I'm a new keeper.

Insurer only works by snailmail, despite being a big outfit, so... does this mean that, despite the fact the car is covered as of yesterday afternoon, I can't actually tax and drive the damn thing until such time as a bit of paper arrives in the post, sometime at the back end of next week, and then make the trek to one of the few Post Offices that still offer this service??

Yeesh.

Was the same when I done the Merc as new keeper. Most bigger post offices will sort you out, the one at Victoria shops or the one in the Decourcey centre will see you right.

You will need a copy of the insurance certificate unfortunately.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

attachicon.gifVEHICLE TAX 1.png

attachicon.gifVEHICLE TAX 2.png

Yeesh.

Have you tried phoning the insurance company, explain your predicament and seeing if they can email it?