Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Datsuncog's S1 Laguna - 19/04/18 - KAZ Resurrection Continues

Project

• Please log in to reply
563 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:30 AM

I've owned cars like TAZ, no matter what you done for them it was returned by more hassle and total unreliability.

The one I was thinking about was a red Allegro three door estate, bought because someone had demolished my 1500 Special Allegro by crashing into it.

I thought I'd use the original car for spares, but like your two similar cars everything mechanical was rather different, I mean everything.

Nothing would swap.

I got out of Allegro ownership and ran a few Mini's (stop laughing at the back!)

I could write a book on those too.

By the way, your writing style is excellent.

Yup, I think that's the heart of it - for whatever reason, some cars just don't thrive and take every opportunity to frustrate and annoy. As well as the edited highlights in this thread, TAZ has just been endlessly blowing dashboard lights and having bits of undertray come adrift and start rubbing, plus other little niggles and annoyances (the steering column feeling weirdly 'loose' at speed though tight enough when stationary is just one example).

It appears the ever-cooling heater may have been down to a bodged/bad matrix connector (which I now can't seal up again) but still... I'm normally quite tolerant of old cars, but this one has just pissed me off now. Annoying that very little can be re-used to assist in KAZ's regeneration, but I may strip and sell some bits to cut my losses (the front splitter, for one). I've also listed the registration number on a few sites, as apparently TAZ is moderately sought-after as a personalised plate.

Would be interested in hearing more about your Allegros and Minis! If ever a tale were to be told, this forum is the place to tell it...

And cheers for the kind words!

make sure you tie some string to each of the wiring routes before taking the tailgate off KAZ so that rerouting the wires through TAZ's tailgate is easier= u kan haz high level brake light

fog lights in base bumper FTW

bonnet, wings doors?

then add a bit of orange for a slightly off irish flag colour scheme lol

Yeah, I was wondering whether the tailgate would be possible as a swap, based on the high-level brake light - my concern was that if KAZ has no wiring for the high-level LED strip from TAZ, would it be an automatic MOT fail as a non-working brake light? But maybe not if it's already wired for it... that's a handy tip though, thanks!

I prefer the non-spoiler look of the bASe RN model's tailgate, but the metal around KAZ's rear wiper spline has been completely eaten away and would be a tricky repair (bubbled all underneath the glass rubbers, too). Might make more sense to plug the spoiler mounts when spraying the lot.

I stripped the fogs from another scrap Laguna last year, but neglected to retain to the column stalk with the fogs switch. Durr. These ones also look in better nick, so I think I may grab them, and as much wiring as I can trace back.

I rather fear that adding a dash of orange to the mismatched green panels, in this particular town, would be an open invitation to torch the car (and possibly the house alongside it)... t'would appear that some of the neighbours round here have *ahem* robust and traditional political viewpoints when it comes to the question of sovereignty in Northern Ireland. Our MP's the most senior DUP gobshite propping up the Tories at the minute... lovely* chap.

Would a nut splitter work? Less unwieldy than a whole angle grinder.

Might do - it's a very small and deeply flanged nut (and recessed a bit in the cam cover casting) but it could possibly be induced to come off with a nut splitter.

If I had one of those, either.

Actually, there might be one in my dad's garage...

If the but is at the extreme one end, get a lever in under the far end and brute force? The cam cover is just an ally casting, doubt it'll be massively strong...

Yep, I very nearly did this on Saturday (there was a fair amount of lift at the far end, more than enough to get a jemmy bar under) - it seems somewhat drastic (and terminal) but I'm tempted... I might leave it until the scrap lorry's definitely on its way though, as TAZ is still running (just) and I'm concerned if I render it immobile now, I'll suddenly find myself needing to move it for some urgent reason...

For getting the fuel out is there an access panel on the boot floor or under the back seat where the fuel sender is? If there is then you should be able to remove that to siphon it out

The best advice re getting the fuel out is above; but Renault's of that age have an anti siphon device which can be bursted out with violence and a pry bar of that's your wont

From hoking underneath, there seems to some sort of drain cap on the base of the tank so I may try that first... but if not, it may take more violent and irreversible means to extract the remaining go juice. As with the cam cover, if a gentle solution can't be found then I'll wreck it at the last minute.

Not so much to report over the last few days - had hoped to change the brake fluid and swap the wheels over last night, but intermittent rain and high winds put paid to that (plus providing nursemaid duties to an ill Mrs DC). I'm out tonight, so it'll be Wednesday before that can happen. Annoyingly, the MOT centre up the road has a raft of available slots tomorrow morning, but then none until 2 May... although I'm tempted to just stick her in and see what the fails are, right now I'm not convinced there's much in the way of brakes, and the bootlid won't close - so I think I'll cool my jets and leave it until later in the week, in case there's any more 'next day' slots available once I've done some of the minor jobs.

Compiling a list at the moment...

Essential:

• swap wheels between cars
  • assess KAZ brake condition & order parts as necessary
  • brake fluid change and test
  • reattach front number plate
  • sort leak from PAS pipe
  • fix non-functional boot catch on KAZ
  • new wipers on
  • check all bulbs/horn/etc
  • book MOT

Desirable:

• swap batteries
  • oil, filter and coolant change
  • remove and refit stereo and dashcam into KAZ
  • swap carpets and insulation (once KAZ is dried out)
  • give KAZ a jolly good scrub inside and out
  • swap squab hinge on rear seat
  • spray replacement grille silver
  • dent pulling
  • drain TAZ fuel tank (approx. 30 litres)

• Dirk Diggler likes this

#542 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

Well, there's certainly a springlike lilt to the air in the past day or two - so much so that I was able to get out last night and continue my Sisyphean exercise in futility that is trying to smoosh two shit and broken Renners together to make one marginally less shit and less broken Renner.

Since TAZ was fitted with a new pair of Riken Allstars up front in November, and KAZ's Avons are both worn to the point of legality on the outside shoulder and cracking quite alarmingly around the sidewall, the decision was made carry out a swap.

It's a plus that I do quite like these rims.

20180418_201337.jpg

What is stupider is that I somehow feel guilty for compromising KAZ's essential bASe-ness by taking her off the original steels, even though both these cars are going in the fragger if I can't achieve roadworthiness. I know, I need to get over myself. So broken mismatched wheeltrims off...

20180418_201357.jpg

And alloy on. Doesn't look bad. Needs a thorough clean, mind, but these will be coming off again at the weekend when I do the brake fluid change.

20180418_202633.jpg

Visual check of the brake system confirms there's not much difference between the two cars, in terms of condition. I'd hoofed the pedal a fair few times on Friday night to free everything up, and although there's some sponginess apparent I can't see any leaks or weeping anywhere. Handbrake seems to work okay on both sides; pads aren't that meaty, but definitely not down to the metal yet.

My priority is to get an MOT pass with minimum expenditure, so I'd sooner not waste time and money putting new pads/shoes on only for it to fail terminally on some other fault. The brakes were always very positive on this car and the flexi hoses were replaced in 2016, so I'm hoping that a fluid change will restore feel all round. If it passes, I'll throw on a new set of pads in due course.

20180418_202118.jpg

There's some crust round KAZ's vented disc, but that's probably to be expected as it last turned a wheel last July. A quick scrub with a wire brush takes the loose stuff off. I give the bleed nipples a good dousing in Plusgas, just to ease the weekend's work. Fading light means piccies is rubbish.

20180418_202121.jpg

STANCE YO.

20180418_204344.jpg

Since I'm using the keep-fit emergency jack on KAZ because TAZ is using the trolley jack, and keep dropping wheelnuts on the gravel in the gathering gloom, the job takes a wee while and by the time I'm done and both cars have their nuts tightened, it's a bit dark to do much else.

I fire KAZ up just to make sure all's still okay (it is), and let her idle for a bit as I tidy up. I've had the windows down today to try to dry out the interior, but it's still a bit soggy. The mould killer doesn't really seem to have evaporated (the dashboard is still wet from spraying it two weeks ago) and sure enough, on re-reading the bottle the instructions reveal that it all needs to be wiped down and dried after use. I might use a vac-off upholstery cleaner to dilute and then suck away any residue; either that or get a seat cover...

I also drown the bootlid catch in penetrating fluid, as the catch mechanism will seemingly pivot round the hasp okay on closing, but doesn't actually hold... it just pivots back again and releases when the bootlid's tugged upwards. It may be some spring or other stuck inside due to disuse, or it may be that the taped hole around the rear wiper has allowed water in to do something funny... At worst, I should be able to swap the catches over for the one off TAZ. We'll see.

20180419_082104.jpg

Okay. Getting somewhere. More tonight, hopefully.

• Split_Pin, Parky, Lacquer Peel and 2 others like this

#543 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:36 AM

Also - while jacking TAZ up I had cause to notice that there is A LOT of bubbling/splitting around the arch lips and inner wings. Much, much worse than on KAZ. It's been a terrible winter for salty roads, and it appears that TAZ would soon have been needing some tickling with the sparkly stick to remain safe 'n' legal.

Some pics of this will go up later.

This is, of course, a feeble attempt to assuage my conscience and justify euthanizing a Phase 1 Laguna that still looks pretty clean at a distance.

Yes, apparently I have already forgotten that it's pissed out all its oil and water and the cam header is full of metal lumps that oughtn't be there.

• stephen01 and Dirk Diggler like this

#544 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 855 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Great progress on this!

I share your unease at inflicting alloys on a base, but it has to be done.

If you play your cards right, you could end up with a Harlequin Laguna here. Renault missed a trick when VW were doing it!

• Datsuncog likes this

#545 OFFLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

RELIABLE HONDA ENGINE

• Full Members
  • 7,333 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationRoyston Vasey

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:43 PM

Well, you've started now. On with the panels!

TAZ can live on at least in part.

• beko1987 likes this

1993 Honda Prelude 2.0i

#546 OFFLINE   stephen01

stephen01

• Full Members
  • 1,286 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationSomewhere in the UK

Posted Yesterday, 10:45 AM

how much are you taking over from TAZ? 

#547 OFFLINE   MorrisItalSLX

MorrisItalSLX

• Full Members
  • 1,540 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationShoalhaven

Posted Yesterday, 10:52 AM

As much as humanly possible.

Daily Driver - 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign, woft-a-matic
Former Daily - 1999 Hyundai Sonata bASe, RIP. 1999-2016

#548 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Managed to star in another delightful episode of Spannering By Starlight last night. Waaay dark after 9pm, so no pics (booo).

Not a lot done, mind: merely swapped the batteries round (again), as TAZ arrived with a smallish unit of unknown provenance rated at 330cca, whereas I'd fitted KAZ with a new heavy-duty 570cca battery a matter of weeks before laying her up - so then swapped the batteries over in December to give TAZ a few more amps to play with in the cold weather.

Like the bugger ever appreciated it.

So the newer, bigger battery was returned to KAZ's engine bay again, but while putting the original plastic brick back into TAZ (by feel), I somehow managed to completely thread the captive bolt that holds the battery clamp on.

I have no idea how; I put the nut on finger-tight, then used a ratchet and 13mm extension socket just to nip it up (as always - I must have fitted literally hundreds of car batteries in my time as a Halfrauds spanner-monkey). But rather than tightening up fully, the nut went round... and round... and round... and just at the point of thinking hang on, something's not right here, all resistance ceased and the nut just spun round, loosely. I put my fingers down into the cavity behind the slam panel to feel... a very smooth bolt shaft. I don't know how the merry fuck that happened, but it's no longer possible to secure TAZ's battery now.

I think TAZ now knows my evil plans, and is determined to be as much of an awkward bastard as possible until the HIAB Arm Of Destiny comes to claim its mortal remains. What a truly spiteful car. Doesn't want to live, but won't even die without being a dick about it.

I also stripped out the nearly-new Pioneer MP3 mechless head unit, and transferred it over to KAZ, because obviously the ability to listen to Belle & Sebastian b-sides and rarities is a priority when recommissioning a horribly neglected 22-yr old slice of frogchod.

For some reason, these Lagunas used a different ISO adaptor plug depending on whether they were fitted with a Phillips radio cassette when new or... something else. Typically, I found that the wiring I already had for KAZ didn't fit into TAZ, so I'd wound up having to buy a whole new adaptor/stalk control kit from Autoleads that ended up costing me more than the frigging head unit. T'was but a matter of minutes to get the Pioneer wired up and slotted into KAZ, and it all seems to work just dandy.

I also gave the mould-remover-sodden dashboard a bit of a wipe over with a cloth, to remove the non-evaporating overspray - but that's probably a task best done in daylight. I've previously done a bit of after-dark car detailing, including going over black bumpers etc with trim restorer, and to be honest the results have veered between hilarious and distressing. So I try not to do that anymore.

More poking at the tailgate catch revealed a distinct lack of improvement with staying shut, so the next step is to remove the entire assembly and see if I can get it to work. Failure there will then involve a swap with TAZ's latch.

I'm still in two minds what to do about the panels. As I am utterly bone-idle, the easiest thing (for me) is to just leave KAZ as she is, dents and all. The next slightly less involved option is to pay someone to pull the worst ones out; a chap my dad knows charges £40 a panel. The paint's not broken, so it might work out cheaper to get the wings and bonnet done like that than painted to a not-quite match. I'm also informed that the bonnets on the Laguna 1 are a pain in the proverbial to re-fit, due to effort needed to get the twin release pins to successfully line up.

And also - I appreciate this is batshit, but bear with me - I don't think I'd feel comfortable driving KAZ with TAZ's 'face'.

You know the Adverts' single 'Gary Gilmore's Eyes' ? Yeah? Well, that reason.

I'm already feeling odd about having the alloys on KAZ. I think the rest of it just needs to go.

I cleared most of the personal crap out of TAZ too - maps, torches, spare bulbs - so that's all in a Lidl bag in the dining room.

Next step - brake fluid change, then test run. Then MOT.

• Split_Pin, Lacquer Peel, beko1987 and 4 others like this

#549 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted Yesterday, 11:32 AM

how much are you taking over from TAZ? 

As much as humanly possible.

Well, I'm still trying to decide what to do here... there's very, very little the same between the two cars; as with Ford's 1980s offerings, it seems that Renault went all-out when stripping kit out of the RN model to position their 'lead-in' Laguna into the showroom at a temptingly low price... all controls, instruments, stalks, interior fittings, engine ancillaries, door mirrors etc are substantially different. As with the Sierra Dangly, most bits of KAZ seem unique to the RN.

I think the only thing that would significantly enhance my bASe experience with KAZ would be improving the interior lighting - putting plunger switches into the rear doorframes so the courtesy light comes on, and swapping the timer relay so that the interior light stays on for a few seconds after closing the door. Haynes seems a bit deficient on information about where these things might be found, though - and I'm gambling on the interior loom being the same across all models, with the necessary wires dangling behind the blanking plates. If they're not there, I wouldn't be bothering.

Also, as a world-champion grade worrier, when I rang up to swap the insurance from TAZ back over to KAZ, I was asked "and are there any modifications made to the car?"

"Oh no," burbles I, through force of habit. "All absolutely standard!"

And now I'm thinking... shit. Those rims weren't standard on the RN. I'm thinking that I need to call the insurers back... but then I'm worried they'll slap another £200 on the policy as OMG MODZ YO.

As someone who's too chickenshit to do anything even slightly naughty in case I get ticked off by a burly policemen essentially law-abiding, my fear is that building a hybrid Laguna RNT bASeSport will invalidate my cover in the event that a busload of blind nuns and kittens pulls out in front of me at a T-junction... and then I'll go to prison. I mean, I know it won't... but then I think about it too much. And I worry.

TAZ can live on at least in part.

To be blunt, after all the charming* and playful* stunts it's pulled lately, I'm not entirely sure it deserves to!! Any residual charitable feelings appear to have dispersed...

• mrbenn likes this

#550 ONLINE   Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

• Full Members
  • 571 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:34 AM

Laguna's couldn't even keep their boot closed when new; you'd see a door slam and the tailgate lift 2 inches on nearly new cars
  • mrbenn and Datsuncog like this

#551 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 855 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

As someone who really feels I ought to ring up and tell my insurers about the dead flies on the front of my car, I'd ring them back re the wheels and be honest - the car needs tyres and you have a set of alloys with good tyres at your disposal. Ask if they'd load the premium. If they would then you have the option of getting a couple of Landsails (or similar) for the steelies. If not, then win. Make sure they know the alloys are genuine Renault, not third party MAX POWAH 28" RIMZ M9 YO!

ETA very much looking forward to hearing about the maiden voyage 8)

• Datsuncog likes this

#552 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 855 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM

BTW above, I said "be honest", I meant be accurate. Not suggesting for a second that you're misrepresenting anything. Poor choice of words on my part.

#553 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Yeah, I totally agree with you - daft thing was, at the point I decided to phone to change the cover over I hadn't yet swapped the rims. So I suppose I was being fully accurate as to the car's condition at that precise moment in time... it didn't occur to me that it would, of course, possibly make a difference.

But then again, thinking about it, my Volvo 240 GL came retrofitted with a set of Virgo alloys cannibalised by a previous owner from a plusher GLT model. I believe I just ticked 'no modifications' for that one when insuring it for the first time, as I genuinely didn't realise at that stage that it wouldn't have come with those as standard.

1988 Volvo 240 GL.jpg

I reckon they'll at least want a £25 fee off me for making a change to my policy, plus possibly more for whatever insane risk I am now posing to them for my speed-freak proclivities... I'm already feeling mildly annoyed that swapping from KAZ to TAZ last year loaded another £180 onto my policy, despite the only substantial difference being the colour and trim level (unlikely reason given: "oh well, the green one's newer, so it's going to be worth more, isn't it?"), but changing back again the other way resulted in "no additional cost to your policy". Hmmm...

Laguna alloys - criss cross.jpg

I was brought up to believe that honesty is the best policy, but sometimes it's a feckin' expensive policy where insurers are concerned...

• stephen01, beko1987 and mrbenn like this

#554 OFFLINE   artdjones

artdjones

• Full Members
  • 490 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationCork

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 PM

I don't think that you need worry about the wheels.I'm sure quite a few people had alloys fitted to their RN from new and I doubt if a crash assessor will be an expert on Laguna spec levels
  • Talbot, Lacquer Peel, beko1987 and 3 others like this

#555 ONLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 13,121 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted Yesterday, 12:19 PM

I haven't told my insurer that my Ph1 Expression is wearing Ph2 Initiale wheels, and nor shall I be doing that! It's how I bought it innit

• Talbot and Lacquer Peel like this
<p>2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)<br>
2008 <strike>orl</strike> Vauxhall<strike>s</strike> <strike>r Shit</strike> Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#556 OFFLINE   Talbot

Talbot

Express

• Full Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • Locationdowel.

Posted Yesterday, 12:49 PM

The whole "have you fitted alloy wheels" thing is a hang-up from 20-25 years ago when most cars had steelies, and only boy roys used to fit alloy wheels.

These days even bloody caravans come on alloy wheels! If there's even the slightest query, "they came on the car". Which could so easily be true. They're a standard Renault wheel. The person who bought it new *could* have ordered it on those wheels. The fact that (s)he didn't is entirely irrelevant.

edit: In fact, it could have been ordered on those wheels and then some previous owner removed them and fitted steelies. You *never* know!
  • stephen01, Lacquer Peel and Datsuncog like this
Current fleet:  Mercedes.  Xantia.  Berlingo.  Discovery.  Forward Control.  Nova. Historic shite.

#557 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted Yesterday, 02:01 PM

edit: In fact, it could have been ordered on those wheels and then some previous owner removed them and fitted steelies. You *never* know!

That very thought was just slowly dawning on me, like a foggy daybreak over a stagnant, fetid pond...

"yeah mate, deffo standard - some muppet had put those trendy steelies on that all the sc3n3 twats are rocking right now, but I was like - naah bruv, not having it. So I put the original, factory, Renault wheels back on. I don't care if I'm not on fleek, you get me? I'm all about compliance with manufacturer standards."

After all, the original owner did go mad and splash out on a tinted windscreen sunstrip, so it's not totally inconceivable they might have completely lost the run of themselves and ordered up alloys too.

#558 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted Yesterday, 02:41 PM

Mrs DC's just come up trumps again - a perfect solution to KAZ's non-closing bootlid, courtesy of another slice of similarly aged frogchod spotted just now:

IMG-20180420-WA0001.jpg

Rubber retaining clips. Genius.

• Parky, stephen01, Shep Shepherd and 4 others like this

#559 ONLINE   Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler

• Full Members
  • 571 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 02:58 PM

Actually, thinking about it 306s, Meganes and 405/6s all seemed to have fucked boot locks from nearly new :)
  • Datsuncog likes this

#560 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted Today, 09:37 AM

Bright sunny morning... No sleet... No high winds. Temperature above 0°c.

It feels unnatural to be working on a Laguna in such conditions.

20180421_102749.jpg

I'm telling myself that this is genuinely a nice, easy list of very achievable tasks to be completed on KAZ by nightfall.

Now off to Halfrauds (ho ho ho) for supplies. Yes, I kind of hate them (see yesterday's Grumpy Thread for full details), but I still have a not-quite-legit tradecard in my wallet so the way I see it, I'm slowly retrieving my diddled wages from c.1998, one transaction at a time.

Updates will surely follow.
  • mrbenn, Tadhg Tiogar and GrumpiusMaximus like this

#561 ONLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 1,590 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted Today, 10:01 AM

..... I still have a not-quite-legit tradecard in my wallet so the way I see it, I'm slowly retrieving my diddled wages from c.1998, one transaction at a time.....

Under the radar, like.
  • Datsuncog likes this
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#562 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 855 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted Today, 10:11 AM

Looks a very do-able list.

Just don't make the mistake I tend to make every time I do a few things on a car; wash it first then have to lie in a puddle for the rest of the day.

• Parky and Datsuncog like this

#563 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • 22 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted Today, 01:20 PM

Good-o: supplies procured. They may or may not have had an oil filter in stock - since the Laguna 1 is dead to Halfrauds' parts database, they couldn't actually tell me. TAZ is fitted with a Fram filter and KAZ currently wearing an original Renault one, so it wasn't like I could even check the Halfords part number against an old one.

20180421_122940.jpg

Now, KAZ had the oil done about a year ago, so I'm thinking of just flushing and putting in a fill of new goop to get things moving again, then changing it again after a few weeks' use (channelling optimistic vibes ahead of MOT, me).

I'll leave the original oil filter in place for now; I did briefly consider swapping the brand-new Fram that I put on TAZ the other week, as it has only about 60 seconds use on it - but the risk of contamination from whatever fatal fragments may be floating around TAZ's sclerotic oilways dissuaded me. I definitely don't want to end up in an Aliens-style situation, with bits of TAZ bursting out of KAZ even after it's been taken away and shredded.

I made a mental note to wash KAZ only after all the other work's been done!

Onwards to victory!

#564 OFFLINE   mrbenn

mrbenn

• Full Members
  • 855 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted Today, 02:33 PM

Hope it's going well, if the weather is as good there as it is here then you should be winning. Good call on leaving TAZ's oil filter exactly where it is!

It's a shame about Halfords. I remember getting an oil filter for our old Mitsubishi Carisma off the shelf every year without fail. That car probably wouldn't even appear in the parts catalogues now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users