Datsuncog's Heaps: Sept 2023 - Another Year's T-Met Exemption Certificate...

Datsuncog

On 7/5/2018 at 10:52 PM, D Spares & Tyres said:

2 x boats please!

( SS Gulf and Bruder ferry )

Sho' thing! Set aside for you now... I even found the motor for the Bruder ferry the other night (working), for maximum bathtime funsies... Will drop you a PM later re. PayPal and postal address, if that works for you?

Trying to get everything crated up last night, for Saturday morning's early start - and what do I find but yet more bloody diecast.

***SOLD!!!*** First off, here's the long-promised photos of the Roadways set:

IMG-20180426-WA0051.jpeg

Now, I get the feeling that this isn't entirely complete (hell, I know it isn't) because a fair few pieces were removed a decade or two ago while I was trying to demonstrate driving principles to my non-driving ex - and although I get the sneaking feeling I've encountered them somewhere in a manila folder, I can't yet put my hand to them. So the box is Not Very Full.

If this tickles your nostalgia nodes, I'd do this for the price of postage (£3.00) with a solemn vow to forward you the missing pieces as and when they turn up.

EDIT: Amazingly, for once my tardiness and procrastination proved a positive boon, as a big wodge of cardboard road pieces showed up in an old box of diaries just at the point I knew I ought to just send the damn thing. A quick check against the contents on the side of the box reveals that the only missing items now are the crossroads, the mini-roundabout and one of the five cul-de-sac pieces. I'm hopeful these may yet show up, for onward transmission to 155V6.

And then there's the last two Tomica - I'd set these aside for another shiter and forgotten to re-add them when they became surplus to requirements.

***SOLD!!!*** First up, a Datsun B110 Sunny 1200GX Coupe, in racing trim:

20180705_215721.jpg

20180705_215628.jpg

20180705_215640.jpg

image.thumb.png.d0534301cfc2223ad39c8b526eb04fc2.png

image.thumb.png.ba50a81d47eb6f64120bd9b3c6bb9d7e.png

It's a modern remanufactured diecast as part of Tomica's 'Museum Collection', but is rather an appealing little thing.

£5.00 shiter price!

****SOLD!!!!**** Then there's this one, a Honda Element (Tomica cat. no. #107).

20180705_215834.jpg

20180705_215748.jpg

20180705_215754.jpg

Opening boot!

20180705_215807.jpg

20180705_215822.jpg

20180705_215732.jpg

I bought this at the gift shop right at the very top of the Tokyo Metropolitan building in 2005. I spent a long time browsing the display case to choose a model that seemed quintessentially Japanese, and sufficiently unusual to remind me of my travels. And so I picked this one.

Then I found out that Matchbox were doing a near-identical version in their mainline range.

Meh.

£5.00 posted!

I'm gonna need that Element, aren't I?

Yes please. And the Lancia Lybra, which is a lovely model of a rather ungainly car.

Speaking of the exact opposite, I don't suppose you could have a rummage around to see if you happen to have an anthropomorphic and slightly troubling soft vinyl Mini Countryman?

Or is that unrealistically specific?

On 7/6/2018 at 10:19 PM, RoadworkUK said:

I'm gonna need that Element, aren't I?

Yes please. And the Lancia Lybra, which is a lovely model of a rather ungainly car.

Speaking of the exact opposite, I don't suppose you could have a rummage around to see if you happen to have an anthropomorphic and slightly troubling soft vinyl Mini Countryman?

Or is that unrealistically specific?

Heh, all very do-able, I assure you!

Heading down to the boot sale now; will get those set to one side for you!

Take it you're after the silver Lybra by Solido with the decent level of detail, rather than the navy blue Majorette version (same casting, but the blue one is much more toy-like)?

An updated list of remaining models will be posted up after the boot sale!

If there's anything you simply have to have then do let me know, but based on past form this is a flat-out busy event so I may not be able to check my phone much - so no promises, I fear!

Well then, Saturday's car boot sale and grand diecast clearance was... okay, pretty much.

Having to get up at stupid o'clock was not much fun; driving 25-odd miles to arrive at 6:40 and find that nearly all the spaces were already gone was also sobering.

I still can't quite work out the tacit agreement by all parties that a sale advertised as "sellers from 8.30, buyers from 9.00" equates to the barrier up and some lad in hi-viz collecting fivers from before 6am... it was only because I remembered that this one has a tendency to start many hours before the advertised time that I planned accordingly - though only just.

Hi-viz blokey managed to squeeze me into a small spot in the far corner against a wall, and I was mildly distraught to notice that there were two other, much larger stalls selling collectable diecast in much more prominent corner sites. This was a first.

The snag came when I couldn't get the Subaru's boot to open. Ah. I may have mentioned this before - the handle has, on a few occasions, failed to do all that much when pulled. This would be novel; a boot sale stall where everything remains locked in the boot, and I provide an oral description of my wares from memory and then post them out to buyers later. Hmm.

The previous solution to this problem has been to lock and unlock the bugger about three or four times, until eventually the release does its job and actually releases the bootlid. And so it proved. I'm not too happy with this; the bootlid has also failed to properly close on a few occasions, causing much merriment with alarms going off every 30 seconds. Some investigation may be required into the central locking module and/or release mechanism.

This non-opening boot conundrum had also proved distressing to the usual gaggle of car-boot freaks motivated customers, who had been attempting to prise open the doors and rummage through my wares before I'd even managed to come to a halt.

I managed to shoo them away by advising that I was not selling gold, silver, costume jewellery or kids' clothing, and that unless they were after some very small Russian taxis or naff 80s LPs, I feared they were going to be deeply disappointed. They all left, funnily enough.

I've done a fair bit of booting over the years, so it didn't take too long to get the stall set up. No sagging B&Q pasting tables for me, ta.

20180707_073758.jpg

The PayPal sign was hastily knocked up the night before since, when previously selling diecast and also vinyl, a few customers had run out of cash monies before they'd had their fill of stock. There aren't any convenient ATMs in the vicinity, so I thought that it might be a way of getting round that problem. As it turned out, there was one query about whether I was using "one of those wee gadget reader things", and that was about it.

20180707_073835.jpg

20180707_073843.jpg

It wasn't very busy, in all honesty. Maybe it's because it was the first sale of the season, I'm not sure. The diecast didn't really sell at all, with the exception of most of the single Cararama models which were going at £1- £2. Most of which were bought, one at a time, by a slightly creepy pair of twins(?) with very yellow shoulder-length hair - who reminded me rather strongly of the kids on the cover of Led Zeppelin's 'Houses Of The Holy' - and who kept coming back every half an hour or so to buy another one. (While packing up later, I noticed all the boxes and blister packs torn open and dumped beside a bin. Hey ho.)

As well as the die-cast, I'd brought some other stuff to get shot of - the remaining car brochures and old magazines, and a clatter of old 70s and 80s car badges - but they solicited not a brief whiffle of interest from anyone, even at 50p a pop.

The box of toy figures was a bit of a draw - one lad hoovered up 30 original Kenner-Parker Star Wars figures in varying states of decreptitude at £1 each, without blinking, and a lady with a large tattoo of Beaker from the Muppet Show on her arm with the word 'KEBABS' written below snapped up a load of NOW compilations on vinyl for a similar sum.

I also sold the last of my original 'artworks' - photographs of decaying metal printed onto sheet aluminium - albeit at far below the asking price (and probably not much over scrap value, if I'm honest). Still, this is all about clearance now, and at least the guy who bought them showed some interest in what they were. Better on his wall than in my attic.

By the time the last stragglers had straggled off by about 1pm (you know the sort, the ones with hats covered in pin badges) and I started to pack away, I'd managed to clear £220 after deductions for the float and the cost of the pitch. So it wasn't really all that bad; I've had sales where I haven't even covered the £5 pitch fee. I'd just hoped to shift a few more, especially the higher-value and bulkier stuff.

So I'll amend the lists on here to reflect the models now gone, and if you've asked for anything to be reserved, I'll ping you a PM shortly!

The upshot is - I'll be going back next week to see if I can get a better crowd. And it'll be a 5am start this time.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:19 AM, sierraman said:

You don't happen to have any cassettes as opposed to LPs? I'm sick to death of listening to Roxy Music in the car.

I do, as it happens... not a lot left, and those that remain are mostly singles, but my Discogs store inventory indicates:

Albums:

Singles:

As cassette prices are still on their arse (other than for a very few rarities) and singles tend to only be bought by the most dedicated fans, most of these are listed on my Discogs store for between 49p and 99p which, after sellers fees, PayPal fees, and p&p, leaves me with a whopping 2p profit per transaction, or thereabouts.

Now I can't guarantee these are significantly better than Roxy Music, but if you're interested, I can pop the whole lot in the post to you for a fiver...

So the post-boot-sale dregs (EDIT: after two weeks of booting and a roffle) are as follows:

Minichamps 1/43:

Solido/Verem 1/43:

1/43 Models - Assorted Manufacturers:

Older toys (approx. 1/43):

Cararama 1/72 single models:

Cararama 1/72 Gift Sets: 

• Emergency Rescue Playset: £6.50
    • Mercedes Actros Fire Tender;
    • Mercedes Vito Police Minibus;
    • Mercedes ML Paramedic Response
    • Figures, barriers etc.
  • Tesco Junior Explorer Playset:  £6.50
    • Mercedes A-class (orange); BMW X5 (metallic blue/grey);
    • Chevrolet Caprice (green); Mercedes CLK (yellow);
    • Saab 9-5 (silver);
    • Mercedes E-class estate (red);
    • Mercedes rigid transporter truck, in not-quite 1/72;
    • working inspection ramp; signs, barriers, cones, little men etc.
  • Tesco Junior Transporter Playset (Set 2):  £6.50
    • Mercedes rigid transporter truck and trailer, in not-quite 1/72;
    • Toyota Rav4 (green);
    • Mitsubishi Evo (red);
    • BMW 5-series (white);
    • Saab 9-3 (yellow)

Cararama 1/87 Commercials:

Random 1/72ish Models:

Odds ‘n’ sods:

If anything appeals... let me know! It'll cost a minimum of £2.95 to post anything anywhere (thanks to Royal Mail's current sizing rules) but I'll work with you on prices for the cheaper stuff, no bother... we are hopefully reaching endgame now.

MrsDC had been working on the assumption that I would be returning with an empty car, so unloading five boxes on Saturday afternoon did not go down terribly well... so take it as read that price flexibility for larger orders will be very much applied...

On 7/9/2018 at 12:13 PM, egg said:

I hate the arms race for 'how early can you get to the boot fair' it borders on madness!

Totally nuts. There was one in Belfast that was very strict about not opening the gates to sellers until 8am; but all that meant was you got seventy or so cars lining the street outside from about 4am onwards.... I think I rocked up before six for that one, spent two hours sipping coffee from a flask out of sheer boredom, then only just got a space and no more (cars behind me were turned away)... then had to try to sell LPs for several hours while on the verge of bladder rupture.

Gotta love it!!

Boot sales are great as I love people watching. Some characters there and some you would rather never see again!

I stopped taking diecast as I got fed up of kids piss-farting about with them and not buying anything. Good if you dont mind just getting about a fiver max for anything. Im due another soon to offload some lampshades.

Fighting the zombies off with sticks as you pull-up is also a totally bizarre experience.  After the Apocalypse, I guess we'll all be driving 90's Toyotas to boot fairs to survive ;-)

Yeah we'll be having each other by the throat in a row over a Breville Sandwich Toaster with no plug on it. I once sold an 110v grinder at a car boot, came with the step down transformer sold it for a tenner, the guy was telling me he would be back next week if it didn't work... It did work but the bearings were shot. The 110v tranny was worth that easy!

As well as the die-cast, I'd brought some other stuff to get shot of - the remaining car brochures and old magazines, and a clatter of old 70s and 80s car badges - but they solicited not a brief whiffle of interest from anyone, even at 50p a pop.

Do you have details of the brochures?

My *absurdly well packed* parcel arrived yesterday (or was it Monday? It was delivered to my work address and they can...take their time in notifying).

Super happy with all my purchases and looking forward to coaching a 3 year old through the process of making the snap-together Camaro!

A pleasure doing business with THE DEALER

On 7/9/2018 at 3:20 PM, Lord Sterling said:

I noticed in the second pic of your boot sale there what appears to be a small cardboard (?) double garage for 2 x Matchbox sized cars? Is that still available? Thanks!

Ooh, sorry for only picking up on this now - the garage is a fairly modern tinplate Czech reproduction by Kovap of what looks like a 1970s CKO item, roughly 1/43 scale but would fit Matchbox for sure.

And yes, still available! There's a tinplate Beetle and T2 Bay Kombi as well, by the same manufacturer - links to pics should be in the last listings post!

Do you have details of the brochures?

Gosh, yes (sorry, been a bit of a week of it) - I had them all listed in the buy and sell thread in early December last year with minimal takers -  a cursory glance through the box shows:

And also...

Think that's mostly it! Really just looking to cover postage, if there's any there that interests you.

EDIT: Now linked to my previous posts from December - just click/poke each of the above links and, thanks to the magic of The InternetTM, you can see a photo and a fuller description of each. I know, right?