Datsuncog's Heaps: Sept 2023 - Another Year's T-Met Exemption Certificate...

Datsuncog

On 4/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, beko1987 said:

Ah yea, that sounds like a thing! Dizzy from the other one? Tin foil?

Heh, the other one doesn't have a dizzy! For two 1.8 cars of the same series built 18 months apart, there's surprisingly little commonality... by 1998 Lagunas (briefly) used twin coil packs, before moving to the pencil-type individual coil packs a few months later when the 16v engines made their debut in the Phase 2 cars.

Other than the Mk4 Astra, I've never come across as many confusing engine variations in one model type... and I'm growing concerned that a rotor arm may be difficult to source, as there's multiple variants and mine doesn't square with any of them. Hmmm.

Tinfoil may be the solution. ;)

Phoar, that's top value, at potentially a good chunk less than 200 of your Euroquids!

Not far away at all - I'm wondering how much of a ball-ache the import/re-registration process would be to the North (a friend once spent an inordinate amount of time and money getting his Rover 25 re-registered when he moved from Belfast to Galway, only for it to suffer HGF shortly after).

Nearly 285,000km in a 1.6 too - hero.

I know rereging here now from UK to Ireland is straightforward (if you ignore the expense of Vehicle Registration Tax) through the NCT centre; it used to be a total ballache when the local Revenue offices dealt with it, I also know that rereging something Irish in mainland UK is easy (and cheap compared to bringing something here)

From Ireland to NI, I haven't a clue though; there's actually another nice Mark1 Phase 2 Laguna on adverts.ie; but it's in Dublin. He's taking offers between 100 and 150 on it. https://touch.adverts.ie/car/renault/laguna/renualt/15078167

Anything over 10 years old has really become worthless here since insurance companies got arsey about insuring something of that age; and when they turn 15 it's virtually impossible to get a quote

On 4/8/2018 at 6:28 PM, Noel Tidybeard said:

ducellier cap and rotor ARE listed for a renner 19 1.8 f3 engine on ECP

Do you have a link for that, at all? I've been putting every possible permutation of the R19 through the ECP website and it's not bringing me up anything for an F3P engine... yes for an F7 motor, but the cap and rotor arm for that look quite different to the ones I have currently fitted.

It's a bit of a head-scratcher, the amount of permutations - since mine's just a 1.8 unit you'd think it's be straightforward enough, but there seems to be a fair scope for variation, beyond just what type of head is fitted (8v, rather than later 16v) and the fuel injection type (KAZ is single-point, not multipoint like TAZ).

The other odd issue that I've run across here is that the V5 for KAZ quite clearly states that its taxable capacity is 1783cc. But according to Wikipedia (yeah, I know), the 1783cc unit is the 16v F4 motor. As mine is definitely the 8v F3 Fonte unit (F3P 678?), it should be 1794cc. Which is odd.

I've also been asked whether mine is the 95HP/70kw version, or the 90HP/66kw version. The truth is that I have no idea.

I've tried cross-referencing the part number on the current rotor arm (2559115), and just to confuse matters further, it seems this part is only specified for estate models, and not the hatchback.

The only trace I can find online for this part is through remanufacturing sites like AutoPartoo and Yoyo Part - and much as I like this car, I'm not ordering up a minimum of 1000 of them...

Supposedly these parts cross-reference the same rotor arm:

• DUCELLIER 2559115
  • BREMI 7380
  • QUINTON HAZELL XR159
  • HAVAM 1415097
  • FACET 37697
  • MAXGEAR 310206

I can get a QH XR159 from Ebay - which certainly looks about right (£16-odd delivered).

Quinton Hazell XR159 Rotor Arm - Ducellier.jpg

And it will fit a 90HP 1794cc 8v single-point injection unit.

But it won't fit any of the other flavours.

As this seems to be the rotor arm I have fitted... (and as I'm guessing that the other models, like TAZ, come up as "this item does not fit" because none of them have a dizzy or a rotor arm, being fitted with coil packs instead) -  is my bloody V5 incorrect when it says KAZ has a 1783cc capacity?

Weird. Though, at this stage, the rotor arm isn't critical - it may well respond to a bit of a wash and brush-up, as others have suggested.

The dizzy cap is the main problem, as the spring carbon centre contact by the coil lead has entirely disintegrated, so cannot make contact with the rotor.

I'm waiting on a fitment confirmation email for QH XD342 cap from an EvilBay; might just go ahead for a tenner.

On 4/9/2018 at 9:44 AM, MorrisItalSLX said:

If I was you, I would be stripping TAZ apart (assuming it was beyond repair) and using the bits to repair KAZ. Or, vice-versa

But that's just me.

I think that's where we're headed here. Annoyingly, almost every part between TAZ and KAZ are different, because POV SPEC. The bonnet, wings, doors, lights, ashtray, rear view mirror and aerial are about the extent of it! If the panels were the same colour I'd swap them, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort to paint. Engines are the same block, but all ancillaries are quite different.

*Le sigh.*

The spirit of Hendry has passed to you it seems...

Heh, I wish Hendry were still around for a number of reasons - but right now, because he worked at a Renault dealer in the early 2000s and he'd probably know this stuff off the top of his head. I have nowhere near his depth of knowledge!

Deeply missed.

What I like about this situation is Mr Cog has a Laguna which has been laid up for some time, and another Laguna which has comprehensively imploded. Neither have shown many signs of long term reliability and here we are suggesting he should be buying another Laguna.

This place, etc

On 4/9/2018 at 12:18 PM, Parky said:

What I like about this situation is Mr Cog has a Laguna which has been laid up for some time, and another Laguna which has comprehensively imploded. Neither have shown many signs of long term reliability and here we are suggesting he should be buying another Laguna.

This place, etc

Heh, I hadn't quite managed to pick up on this non-sequitur, as it happens - but although it's been great to see so many Series 1 Lagunas still knocking around (there were hardly any up for sale a few months back), I reckon it's highly unlikely I'll be buying another one in the short-term. Not because I hate 'em, not because I'm throwing the head up, but because my thinking's currently running along the following lines:

1. get KAZ running (the dizzy cap's been ordered - and if I'm extremely lucky, an intact cap will be all I need to get her starting again);
  2. get KAZ MOT'd  again so I have transport - the whole reason I kept her was that she had been uniformly reliable over three years, whereas TAZ was an unknown quantity and aroused a degree of suspicion... while we're not exactly potless at the minute, I don't have much in the way of spare cash kicking around (typically, I'd just stumped up the year's insurance on TAZ the day before the engine fragging was confirmed). Getting myself mobile for a tenner's worth of parts is more alluring right now than buying another unknown quantity for £££s;
  3. strip the alloys (with their newish tyres) and a few other bits and bobs off TAZ to transfer onto KAZ, and get shot of the smouldering, dripping remains in short order;
  4. run KAZ as an interim vehicle while trying to sell the boxes and boxes of models currently filling the shed - car boot sales, model fairs etc over the summer - in order to build up enough capital to buy... well, something else. I'm flexible.
  5. ROFFLE KAZ for much cheapz - because who wouldn't want a slice of French chod in buttery biscuit bASe format? (NB - selling the numberplate would, apparently, cover the cost of flights and ferry crossing). In truth, I cannot possibly imagine this car appealing to anyone else outside these pages, and even then I think I'm being highly optimistic. But how many shiters could I tempt with £2.50 tickets??

1996 Renault Laguna 1.8 RN.JPG

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm through with Renners, far from it - but I've owned three Phase 1 Lagunas in varying states of dilapidation over the last four years and, in a way, don't want to be pigeonholed as that mad Irish Laguna Bloke... while the Laguna has proven itself a fine and capable motorcar, comfortable and spacious etc, I only ended up with one by happenstance and I'm kinda hankering for a bit of a change. Mrs DC has proposed we keep an eye out for either a Subaru Forester or a Saab 9-5 estate, and I kinda like the way she's thinking...

Subaru Forester 1.jpg 

Saab 9-5 estate.jpg

Though I do also kinda like that silver Lag estate with the black bumpers on Car & Classic...

On 4/9/2018 at 12:33 PM, Parky said:

And Distributor caps aren't cheap are they? Although this wasn't too bad

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/XD342-DISTRIBUTOR-CAP-RENAULT-CLIO-AND-LAGUNA/151898944010?hash=item235de1f20a:g:Km8AAOSwwE5WWuoV

I wonder if searching for a Clio or 19 part might pull out more hits?

That's the very one I've just ordered - blokey emailed to confirm that it will fit my car (hmmm, we'll see). He doesn't have any rotor arms, though. I might get that Amazon one you linked to ordered up - it most closely resembles the one that's on it.

I'm finding myself obsessing more and more about this cc discrepancy on the V5, though - is it possible that NOTHING I've ordered from a motor factor has EVER fitted this car because it's appearing in databases incorrectly?

To recap, the tax book says its a 1783cc car. But it's an 8v single-point injection lump with a dizzy. According to the data I'm digging up, that can't be - the engine fitted to my car, based on year and spec, must be the 1794cc (F3) engine. The 1783cc engine is the 1998-on 16v lump (F4). So it can't be that.

It would explain why, whenever I've given the car reg at a factor, I've been given the wrong plugs, wrong belts, wrong filters... I mean, really?

Is this even a thing, or have I simply got Renner Delerium, and need to go for a little lie-down in a quiet room...?

Melon status = twisted.

Laguna 1 Engine Specs - Wikipedia.png

On 4/8/2018 at 9:09 PM, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Yes it's facearse and it's probably priced optimistically but there's this one in Craigavon..... With terrible wheels.....

That's not bad either, and other than the wheels looks pretty clean and with relatively low miles... hopefully optimistic pricing may mean it hangs around long enough for me to get the new dizzy cap and find out whether or not KAZ is borked too...

On 4/9/2018 at 12:26 AM, Dirk Diggler said:

I know rereging here now from UK to Ireland is straightforward (if you ignore the expense of Vehicle Registration Tax) through the NCT centre; it used to be a total ballache when the local Revenue offices dealt with it, I also know that rereging something Irish in mainland UK is easy (and cheap compared to bringing something here)

From Ireland to NI, I haven't a clue though; there's actually another nice Mark1 Phase 2 Laguna on adverts.ie; but it's in Dublin. He's taking offers between 100 and 150 on it. https://touch.adverts.ie/car/renault/laguna/renualt/15078167

Anything over 10 years old has really become worthless here since insurance companies got arsey about insuring something of that age; and when they turn 15 it's virtually impossible to get a quote

Yeah, I can remember a fun* afternoon spent in the Galway local Revenue Office, trying to sort out paperwork for the Rover... glad it's less awful now!

DVLNI is no more, having had all their offices closed and moved over to DVLA in Swansea, and I can't seem to find anything on the UK website about importing a vehicle... though maybe now is the time to do it, mind, as I doubt that prioritising the rights of shiters to bring worthless old nails over the border is going to be on many Government Brexit briefing papers.... I did once bring an XM estate back from Donegal, but it was still on Derry plates (I reckon the owner's bullshit about not needing the car was exactly that, and it was the price of registering a 2.5 TD that prompted the sale).

I've had a few conversations about the jaw-dropping tax liability on many cars, but hadn't heard about the insurers getting silly on older stuff. What a pain... different for proper 'classics', though?

On 4/9/2018 at 1:53 PM, They_all_do_that_sir said:

How about going for a slightly different Renault. This is quite lovely at £395

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-19-RT-l/282913337110?hash=item41def2ef16:g:2woAAOSw-NFaprFM

That's not bad for the price, despite a few blebs... and I know there's a lotta love for the R19 on here. Quite a lot of engine commonality with KAZ, from the looks of things... maybe even the same rotor arm...

Sorry, getting a bit vulturey there.

However, I do have a need for carrying Big Things every now and again, so after the Alfa 156 disaster I swore I'd never own another saloon (or Alfa, for that matter - other opinions are, of course, available).

Didn't R19s eat clutch cables for fun, or was a friend of mine (the same chap with the Galway-plated Rover 25 OMGHGF) just especially unlucky with his two?

Yeah, I've just bought some vintage computer processors that are expected to arrive from China, having been posted last Wednesday, some time around May 25th!

It's cos eBay simplified their feedback to "did it arrive before this date" rather than giving stars for how long it took.