I've been offered a Rover 75..

DaveDorson

Mate of mine in Letchworth Garden City has a Rover 75 that's now surplass to requirements.

It's a W reg, looks like a Cowley car, dark metallic blue, black leather with grey piping, blinds and stuff.

It's got a 1.8 Kettle and an Automatic gearbox.

Apparently the heater doesn't give out heat, I suspect the SAAB valve is shot, apparently doesn't overheat.

It's not got an MOT.  He's not sure if it'll pass, he's not willing to put it in, because of his job he seldom gets time and just wants it out the way, and any time spent on that detracts from his TR7 project.

MOT history shows a few bits and bobs needed, but seems to have low miles, reg is X102 PDA for anyone that wants to check that out.

I've been whats App'd some pics.

I know the square root of bugger all about these, other than they're handsome looking and a nice place to sit.  Of course I want one, but the timing is wrong for me, so I'd like to help my mate out and get this saved.

Can supply a phone number.

Joe's a good guy, and his Mrs is giving him other over it, he's got a TR7 in the garage, his daughters car, and he's chasing a Nissan Terrano 2.7 diesel too so wants the space.

He's also had some clowns at work offer him £15 for the wheels and tyres, told him to chop the cat out and weigh the rest in, but he doesn't want that to happen, he'd rather just it got saved and enjoyed.

He's genuinely one of those guys that just looses interest in stuff, can't be bothered to spend the time and money on them, so punts them on and moves onto the next thing.  I believe he had an ABS/Speedo fault, replaced the sensor which sorted it, and he'd been using it till the MOT ran out.  The lack of heating in winter, and his accessiblity to a works vehicle means he's not bothered to sort it, as he'd rather be in the warm garage working on the Trumpet he's got.

He'd probably fit in well here

• 2 weeks later...

I met Joe this evening and despite the thoughts on here, we look nothing like each other.

First impressions: the car was in great order body-wise. The interior looks ace with the electric black leather seats.

The coolant was quite low so Joe topped it up for me. My mate with the trade plates followed me to the local petrol station and a couple of quids worth of dino juice was put in the tank.

Off we went. Nice and steady.

We made it to Enfield without much drama, however, about 2 miles away from HQ, the engine emitted much unhappiness and steam. Death rattle ensued and it expired. Cue Hyundai i10 towing a Rover 75!!!

We had a good look and it is terminal, car won't start and coolant res is devoid of coolant. RIP Rover 75.

Shame about the engine but it was knocking big time :(

However, all is not lost. I will be popping over again on Monday and will confirm Rover death. The car will donate many, many parts to my other 75, so it is still £100 very well spent when you consider nice alloys and good tyres, grille, mirrors, rear lights, headlights, interior trim, blinds, engine ancillary parts, seats. So easily £300 plus in parts obtained. Then there is money for the shell/remnants. 

I just need to check if the electric seats can go in mine. Just have to clarify if it is play and plug or if a new bit of loom needs letting in.

The bodywork on this car is actually pretty bloody lovely. It is a shame but the kippered engine makes it worth the square root of fuck all from a 'car' perspective. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it and had very clear hopes of it being a going concern. 

Such is life. As I said, no point in being anything negative about it when it will yield parts for mine and hopefully others cars. Still very happy outcome.

It seems a ball ache to swap the manual seats to memory ones,so does anyone want a lovely set of black leather seats?