1987 VW T25 2.1 Caravelle GL Auto - SOLD, Now restored, see pics

cobblers

I think I should sell this van. I'll regret it cos I'll never find or afford one like it again, but it doesn't make sense for me to keep it at the moment. I've lost my storage so I'm having to cut back on vehicles, and I probably should use the Abarth that I'm paying finance on rather than this. This van is my daily, nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than jumping in it on a morning and razzing to work. It's great to drive, goes pretty well and handles better than it really should too.

It's an absolutely top of the line Caravelle - PAS, Auto, Square lights, big electric mirrors, Captains Seats, revcounter, rear heater, opening quarterlights - all the good bits that I spent years trying to find to put on my other van. Everything works, apart from the electric mirrors.

It's very very solid, but through some miscommunications by a previous owner (A VW magazine), the van was sanded down and painted up to promote a VW show. This has all been buffed off, but it does need a respray really. Back arches are a bit bubbly but saveable, other than that it's got no actual rust - seams are generally very good. Cab doors/slider are mint. Tailgate is OK but another is supplied. Window surrounds all perfect. Never had any paint, filler or welding - very original.

The 2.1 injection 112 bhp engine is a good one, starts/runs/idles/drives perfect. Slight oil weep from the oil cooler, probably needs an O ring but it's not bad enough to worry over unless you've got a new block paved driveway. I use it every day. None of the usual flat spots/iffy running/bad idle you'd get with these.

Auto box works perfect too. Smooth changes, no issues. PAS absolutely transforms the van compared to others I've driven.

New wishbones, Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs all round. I think they are lowered springs, but it's lovely to drive.

Interior is all there and in decent nick for the most. Passenger seat is missing an armrest. Decent Blaupunkt speakers all round and a bluetooth head unit.

Bad points: If you put more than £55 of petrol in it, it smells like petrol for a bit. I presume the breather O rings on the top of the tank are perished. Minor oil leak. No key for the sliding door.

post-3886-0-39738900-1510089739_thumb.jpg

I bought it fairly well but I've spent quite a lot on it (I had to replace the engine!) so I'm taking a bit of a loss at £3500 ish. It's up here before ebay because I like people on here.

I'm Chesterfield, M1 J29A. It's got about 6 months MOT on it but passed the last one without any advisories.

These vans are great.

I've still got mine. It's still having most of the rot repaired, at a great expense and is taking a lot longer as the more I dig the more I find.

I'm sticking a golf motor in mine now, as the Subaru engine it had never ran properly, was always a tit to do things on, and kept bashing the sump on those raised middle of the road bumps.

Good luck with the sale.

Sorry nothing to further a  sale but just to say to any non-Dubbers (of which I am resolutely one).   These are absolutely ace to drive - even with struggle steering and a rather flawed manual box so this one must be flippin brilliant.  And as a long-term T25 owner I can say that the work this has had done to it is exactly what you would want to see on its C.V. if you were buying....

If only I had more than £128.65 for a WBOD.......

It's surprised me, but I've hardly got any photos of this van. I just don't take loads of random photos of my cars like I used to.

"dash at night". Revcounter clocks are #megamoney nowadays. I've been through these and refurbed them too - sorted out dry joints and whatnot. The clock even works! (the LCD on the clock is usually knackered on these)

post-3886-0-76308300-1510177201_thumb.jpg

"Side"

post-3886-0-44804500-1510177249_thumb.jpg

"Dealer Sticker"

post-3886-0-77179900-1510177331_thumb.jpg

"Other Sticker"

post-3886-0-95750600-1510177357_thumb.jpg

Mega solid engine bay surround - If you've dealt with t25s before you'd be as impressed as I was by this - they're usually knackered, or at least bubbly.

post-3886-0-53948600-1510177513_thumb.jpg

Interior:

post-3886-0-50802700-1510177595_thumb.jpg

The engine that came in it was "rebuilt", but it rattled and what I thought was a top end noise turned out (after £150 worth of bits) to be more serious, I reckon a little end.

I got a good original used engine to replace it, and after I it had a few exhaust manifold studs replaced it was a goodun. Doesn't use fluids, smoke or rattle and it seems a bit faster than the rebuilt one. I read that rebuilt engines are often using US spec low compression pistons which could account for this

I'd offer a "bulk buy" van, dogs and mrs but I quite like the dogs.

(and the mrs)

One of the very earliest places you'll see a blue LED too - albeit based around silicon carbide technology rather than the newer tech that appeared around the turn of the millennium...

Don't remember the steering on mine being heavy to be honest - it was an early one though and did seem to have quite a slow rack (or box?), it also had more rust than bodywork...but a surprisingly solid chassis...I passed it onto another enthusiast for free a while ago.  No idea what it's state is now.

Drove well on a private test track though...even the brakes worked well, despite spending nine years sitting under a tree...was a bit slow with the 1.6CT engine *and* a high top roof the size of a small landing craft!

Never knew these came with an auto.

Shame, some of them are definitely LEDs though - I've got one scavenged from a Golf (I think) out of a scrappy buried somewhere.  Lighting tech is one of my other interests.

My T25 was early enough that it just had a red one for the main beam light.  Have seen them use amber for it too.

Oh, I forgot to add, I'm in Chesterfield (j29a M1) and the van is in Rotherham at the moment.

As a complete aside, I grew up in that neck of the woods - born in Chesterfield (Hasland) but spent most of my life in Chapeltown/Rotherham. Went out with a girl from Rawmarsh for quite a few years. I will have to closely look at your photos to see if I can spot any of my old haunts!

I grew up in Rotherham, went out with a girl from Chapeltown for a year when I was at uni. I now live with the mrs in Bolsover.

I used to drive my £400 Mk2 Fiesta to Rawmarsh quite often on my 17 year old "I've got £20 of petrol so let's waste it by driving aimlessly into the night" missions. The girls there scared me a bit though

If you want to buy parts from Germany, search for T3 bits.

If you want to buy parts from the UK, we call them T25

Clearly they're right, as the next model was the T4 and not the T275. However sometimes you just have to go with the flow and not waste your entire life shouting at the wind.