Rover 75 CDT 160hp Connoisseur SE

Roverageous

Hi all,

The time has come to part with my diesel 75 to make way for a Volvo. It's done me very well for the last three years, but it is in need of some TLC.

It's a 2.0 diesel which has been breathed on by a Rover T4 guy to make it more like 160hp. Automatic gearbox (rebuilt a year ago - really smooth box). Spec wise it's a Connoisseur SE so has heated seats / electric mirrors / electric rear roller blind! It's low mileage for a diesel one of these just coming up to 85,000 miles. Doesn't use any oil or water, starts on the button etc... etc... It has a towbar and would make an excellent towing car.

Oil has been changed by me every 8,000 although it's nearly at 10,000 since it's last oil change in April so could do with doing. I've never trusted the 15,000 intervals Rover gave them.

Sandstone leather interior in good condition, proper wood dashboard, nice condition leather cleaned regularly. I have nicked the wood rim steering wheel from it, so you'll have to make do with a sandstone leather wheel in immaculate condition. Its a nice place to sit.

The bits that usually fail on the diesel cars are mostly fine on this one. Fuel pumps are honkeydorey although I always fill up early to keep them in good order! Thermostat is fine too - the car runs at 86'c - 90'c in normal use.

As far as I know there are no water ingress issues in the car, and I replaced the rear light seals when I got it as a preventative measure. Never had any issues with damp in the car / boot.

The bit below might make it seem like a dog - it's not. It's me being really honest about the condition of the car. It's way better than loads out there on the roads, but as above it'll need some TLC if you want to keep it really nice.

Engine cooling / aircon fan doesn't work on any speed. Been this way since I've bought it. Always used diagnostic mode on the dashboard to keep an eye on engine temps. Never exceeded 95'c and that was after sitting in traffic for 2 hours. These are known to run fairly cool, and fan wouldn't kick in until 101'c anyway. Aircon does work, but I've only ever switched it on for relatively short bursts when travelling at 50+mph so plenty of airflow over the radiators. Compressor is not noisy and cools nicely.

I suspect the battery may be on the way out. Since the outside temps got colder it sounds a bit slow on a morning to me. It's still starting it first turn of the key though.

Front suspension has always been bit rumbly. In my ownership I've had the drop links done 4 times, 2 sets of top mounts, loads of bushes to try and quieten it down. MOT man is always happy & it goes through a 4-wheel alignment quite happily too. Garage man suspects it could be combination of 17" wheels and mid range tyres. I don't know but it hasn't got worse in three years.

It has a repair to the offside sill a year and a half ago as it had rusted around the rear jacking point. Repair was done, then some gimp as halfords ran a trolley jack into it which pulled a load of the anti-stonechip coating off. I smeared it liberally with rust-proof primer and painted over with a rattle can. It's all solid, but there's a little bit of rust coming back so probably wants looking at again next year.

It's got what I can only describe as "chatter" from the offside driveshaft. This was commented on when I bought the car by my mechanic. His advice was "do nothing, it will go for years yet". Well it's done 3 years and hasn't got any worse! You just get a bit of chatter when taking off smartly & turning at the same time.

There are a couple of bits to sort on the interior. The driver's seat doesn't quite sit square and gets worse the more you raise it up. Backrest adjustment is also inoperative. Probably could do with a new driver's seat. Passenger door handle surround is loose - needs some copydex or something to stick it back to the doorcard.

Lastly it looks like there's some slightly creative electrickery going on in the boot / rear lights. I haven't looked too hard because everything works fine.

If I was selling this through eBay or Autotrader I'd get it tidied up and stick it on for £1500. But this is AS and you can have it as is for £650. Feel free to make insulting offers - I won't be offended and can only say no!

Pictures attached - car located in Aylesbury, Bucks.

post-18062-0-90139400-1510048781_thumb.jpg

post-18062-0-07098700-1510048790_thumb.jpg

post-18062-0-12006500-1510048796_thumb.jpg

post-18062-0-98734800-1510048806_thumb.jpg

Engine cooling / aircon fan doesn't work on any speed. Been this way since I've bought it. Always used diagnostic mode on the dashboard to keep an eye on engine temps. Never exceeded 95'c and that was after sitting in traffic for 2 hours. These are known to run fairly cool, and fan wouldn't kick in until 101'c anyway. Aircon does work, but I've only ever switched it on for relatively short bursts when travelling at 50+mph so plenty of airflow over the radiators. Compressor is not noisy and cools nicely.

From my limited knowledge of 75's, this could be a failed resistor on the fan itself. There is a known issue with these. (then again the fan could have failed overall)

Do a search for gold resistor on the R75 forum. They sell them for around £20 and relatively easy to fit.

Car looks great by the way, especially with those alloys

What you doing with the wooden wheel???? :)

Just from the interior pic, seems well spec'd

Cruise, Heated Seats and Rear Electric Sun Blind if I'm not mistaken.

Had the T4 160bhp "change" done on mine as well, and makes a massive difference.

All it needs is the Webasto heater for the full set.....

That's a good point. Cruise / heated seats etc... all work.

Webasto is fitted and DID work, but it got very smokey and then stopped working. Needs a service and should all be well again.

Jesus.

That's about my ultimate specification for one of them.

I've got a thing about red cars with sandstone leather, and I'd love a dizzlier one that's been breathed on a bit with a hook at the back to move my trailer tent around.

Let me see the cost of kidneys on the black market and get back to you :shock:  :-)

Seriously though, GLWS.  I'd have this in a heartbeat if I wasn't knee deep in broken cars.

Just to further tempt everyone, it also appears to have rear parking sensors (which on the saloon are a bonus). and I'm guessing due to the spec auto dipping rear mirror. (Which is one of the best things ever invented if it does have it)

As mentioned above, I already own one, but would have a random if you do decide to roffle.

And I have no connection with the seller, other than trying to get in his good books so he'll flog me the walnut steering wheel cheap :)

Just to further tempt everyone, it also appears to have rear parking sensors (which on the saloon are a bonus). and I'm guessing due to the spec auto dipping rear mirror. (Which is one of the best things ever invented if it does have it)

As mentioned above, I already own one, but would have a random if you do decide to roffle.

And I have no connection with the seller, other than trying to get in his good books so he'll flog me the walnut steering wheel cheap :)

I'm sure he has another 75, i was parked near him at the BMC day this year. I guess he will put the wood wheel on that one.

Just checked the history on this and it was registered in Jan 2001 so should have all the good pre project drive bits.

They may have been filched for my V6 though... :oops:

It's got real wood dash, carpeted heater panels, seatbelt bolt covers, bullet mirrors, earlier boot badge, nice thick carpets. I've nicked the headrests, real leather armrest lid, wooden wheel.

All nicked parts are, of course, replaced but with later Project Drive items.

I am very interested, but a little put off by the 'breathed on'.

For insurance purposes I need Standard.

Is it just a matter of the T4 man unbreathing it?

How many keys have you got? I know they are expensive.

Distance is a bit of a problem, and I'm off out for a couple of hours now.

If it's still available I may well make an insulting offer later tonight :)

I believe it can be put back to 116hp - you'd need to find out from a T4 guy though to be sure.

2 plippy, coded keys, both with newish good condition casing / buttons.

What if you didn't know it had been breathed on wink wink

It's all over t'internet! Everyone knows....... Can you tell or what?

I imagine there are many running about undisclosed.

Whats the road tax on this? Mine's £185, but I think the auto is more.

Laquer peel is mentioned elsewhere, I think maybe on this car?

I'm trying hard to resist. I've already got a Tourer, and a new Alhambra, which is all I need.

White seats are not for me, it's a Saloon, its had bits and pieces swopped so no good to a collector.

I'll sleep on it and hope its gone when I wake up.

Edit please buy it Flat4, you won't regret it

It's all over t'internet! Everyone knows....... Can you tell or what?

I imagine there are many running about undisclosed.

Whats the road tax on this? Mine's £185, but I think the auto is more.

Laquer peel is mentioned elsewhere, I think maybe on this car?

I'm trying hard to resist. I've already got a Tourer, and a new Alhambra, which is all I need.

White seats are not for me, it's a Saloon, its had bits and pieces swopped so no good to a collector.

I'll sleep on it and hope its gone when I wake up.

Edit please buy it Flat4, you won't regret it

Tax is over £200 on this one - I can't remember the exact figure but I pay £20.83 a month via DD.

You're right, I forgot the lacquer peel. I think it's had some paintwork in a previous life at the top of the offside C pillar onto the roof. The lacquer has cracked over last summer and this, so it does look a little scabby but certainly redeemable if that's your sort of thing.