Now sold - Triumph 1300

purplebargeken

This is up for grabs if anyone fancies it. Valencia Blue saloon, reasonable miles on the clock.

It is actually MOT'd till March 2018 but the tester must have been a bit pissed/stoned or comatose as it will need some remedial work. I will take some pictures tomorrow. I have two NOS front wings for the car that will obviously need prepping and painting.

The exterior is in reasonable order, the odd rust bleb here and there on a door or two but nothing major. Previous signs of repair here and there. It may well look worse than it actually is but having had a fair few of these cars it isn't a huge piece of work in all honesty. Sills have had work and I would be inclined to tidy them but I am fussy. 

The car was a runner but suddenly lost drive according to the previous owner. I have spoken to a fair few FWD lickers and it sounds like it may be a CV joint on the N/S that has died. A new one will be supplied. If not a CV joint it will be an input shaft. Not a major piece of work and I can get a good used one for the new owner if it is that. The car started and the engine ran quite sweetly but I did start to dismantle bits to gain access to the O/S suspension turret which will need a localised repair. The other turret looks good. All the bits were bagged and tagged. Mechanically it's a simple engine. I am pretty certain that the previous owner had a new clutch fitted not a billion miles back. She had spent a few quid on the car during her tenure.

Suspension looks ok, tyres look ok, exhaust looks decent too. The rocker cover gasket needs doing as it was pissing out oil. Rad looks good. Hoses could do with replacing but that is just down to age rather than leaks. They are easy to obtain via eBay or Mick Dolphin/R*mmers.

Lower steering bush needs to be replaced, a poly one is cheap and easily available. 

Interior is okay, but not perfect. A good clean would help, needs a front bit of carpet and I think one of the seats has some damage to the vinyl. Seats are beige (actually described as tan). The electric things seemed to work without issue.

There is no way I can do what is needed now which pisses me off as I love these cars (I've had 6 or 7 of them). They have real character.

All in all the car owes me a tad under £800, I am willing to take a small hit but not too much please. 

Sadly no swapsies on this one (sorry). Location: Edmonton, North London

Royal Blue is a nice colour :)

It was, but it had a light blue interior (I`d have preferred red trim with the dark blue paint).

What I really loved was the folding window winders, the wide badge on the steering wheel &, most importantly, the little 3D globes on the wheel centres!

Was a great car bar the UJ issues.. As were all my old Triumphs  :mrgreen:

It's a late one, poss G or H, I can't quite recall. It has a brake servo which I have never had on a 1300 previously.

The wings, turret and maybe a patch or so on the inner wings, not huge stuff. Straightforward panels and if you can weld then all could be good.

I will do pics tomorrow :)

Pics it is then.....

This was taken upon delivery to my lock up.

It looks a bit grubby. It was a bit grubby due to being stood in the open.

IMG_20170830_172737029_HDR%201_zpsy8hibd

Starting the process of stripping bits from the drivers side of the engine in order to be able to see the rusty turret bits more clearly.

IMG_20170914_173328066_HDR%201_zpsdwui3g

More has been taken off but as I mentioned, it is all bagged and tagged and the engine was a happy started and runner. Am happy to reassemble if need be but I would suggest that the welding is done before that. It just makes sense.

This is the rust around the base of the turret. It looks worse in the pic. I've cleaned it up a bit for the pic but a further trim of the sharp bits and a good rust killing would be helpful. Letting in of a good patch is not going to be too difficult. Had much worse than that on past Triumphs.

IMG_20170914_103305920_HDR_zpspb2b2zji.j

I think I took more when I went to view the car. I will check and post :)

It really is well worth the money. 

It is actually not that bad. If you can weld reasonably well then this is very do'able indeed. No complicated curves, just straightforward patches. 

Cheers mate. This really is a good price considering the wings are obviously included.

If it doesn't go too far away I would be happy to assist in the sorting it out department.

It is easier to weld fettle than an MG, seriously.

The most obvious welding bit is the drivers side turret. This would require a basic clean up, rust killing and a dab of weld thru primer. Any patch would be more or less flat and a very simple shape. I may even be inclined to make them to go with the car. A mobile welder would likely get it done in an hour or maybe just over. The same inner wing would need a flat patch letting in once the area is again cleaned up. Figure maybe a similar timescale to weld.

The wings are weld on but in all honesty, they are spot welded or if there is a MIG going then plug welds will happily do. There may be odd little welding jobs here and there but I doubt anything excessive as the PO spent a few bob on the last MOT. I think with hindsight  that the turret was missed as the thing was covered in crud/oil and the downpipe/manfold/carb were in the line of sight. 

The removed engine bay bits are so easy to refit, a day would cover it. It would need a rocker cover gasket which is less than a tenner from eBay and I would highly recommend a new fan belt as it is looking passed it's best. At worst another tenner. Mechanically there is the CV joint to do and as long as you have access to a spring compressor and a manual then it is do'able. Tons of advice on fb forums and the TDC forum. The CV joint is supplied.

£750 is very, very good for one of these cars, they are finally on the way up price-wise after what seems to be decades in the doldrums. They are a joy to drive and were a 'proper' car with much better rear suspension than the later cars. Stuff if not hard to get and I know all the main FWDS lickers anyway and routine servicing is a bloody doddle. You can even change the clutch from inside the car if it ever comes to that.

I've got one of the hardest bits to get and that was the drivers side wing. You could even get away with patching the passenger side tbh if you really wanted to.

It is all so do'able with a little time and effort. If my situation was any better then it would stay, I have the TR7 engined Toledo which will now stay with me until I croak, if I can't drive it so what, it will still get looked after. I've let this go before on a few occasions but not again.

Seriously, if you fancy it then go for it, it will be worth the effort. 

Under cover storage isn't necessary, rust kill and bare metal and lob a couple of coats of red oxide on with some top colour to finish it off. This is simple and effective. It is still with MOT and is road tax exempt, so with a bit of insurance it's actually road legal.

I never had any lock up space for years, never did any of my stuff any harm.